Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by BSBD
My wife is a naturalized US citizen, and has approved dual citizenship from her country of origin. She is scheduled for a Global Entry interview, and we're wondering if she needs to bring her non US passport to the interview in addition to her US passport, or if she'll even be asked about dual citizenship.

Does anyone have any insight or experience?
Did she enter both passports into her GOES application? I was asked about dual citizenship at my NEXUS interview, but that may be a NEXUS-specific question.

I'd bring both, just in case as they'll see her birth country in her US passport. CBP is mainly concerned about her US citizenship as she'll use her US passport in the GE machine.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:52 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I brought both of mine for my NEXUS interview after having entered both in GOES. Best bet is to bring them both; it's much better to have too much documentation with you than too little!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Pt, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by BSBD
My wife is a naturalized US citizen, and has approved dual citizenship from her country of origin. She is scheduled for a Global Entry interview, and we're wondering if she needs to bring her non US passport to the interview in addition to her US passport, or if she'll even be asked about dual citizenship.

Does anyone have any insight or experience?
I'm pretty sure they won't ask for her non-US passport. I'm a naturalized citizen too and only brought my US passport and driver license to the interview.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by downinit
For those with dual citizenship, did you acknowledge this during the application/interview? I know the USA does not recognize dual citizenship, but I am wondering if either hiding it or mentioning it would cause one to be disqualified. I asked during my interview and he said it would not disqualify, but I wanted to make sure before my friend applies. The non-USA citizenship was obtained by birth, the USA was naturalized. Thank you.

My buddy has USA and Ukraine passport. He is doing fine.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Correcting an erroneous statement upthread - the USA most certainly DOES recognize dual or even multiple citizenship in the following circumstances:

1. a foreign national retaining their birth citizenship and passport after naturalizing as a US citizen

2. a natural born US citizen who acquires foreign citizenship and passport by parental birthright

The USA frowns upon the following:

1. a naturalized US citizen seeking by application and acquiring citizenship in a foreign country - this can cost you your US citizenship

I have two passports - one by birth and one by naturalization and both are part of my Nexus and GE profiles and not only was it never an issue, it was expected that I would register both for Nexus (as one of the passports is Canadian).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:49 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bocastephen

1. a naturalized US citizen seeking by application and acquiring citizenship in a foreign country - this can cost you your US citizenship
The Supreme Court of the United States disagrees with you.
Originally Posted by TWA884
in 1967, in the case of Afroyim v. Rusk, 387 US 253, the United States Supreme Court held that "Congress has no power under the Constitution to divest a person of his United States citizenship absent his voluntary renunciation thereof."
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
There was another thread on dual-national and losing US citizenship. I think you either have to present yourself in front of a US consular official and state your intent, do the paperwork, pay the fees etc or declare war against the US to lose your citizenship.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The Supreme Court of the United States disagrees with you.
That ruling differs from paperwork I was given during the naturalization process - where voluntarily taking up citizenship of a new country (not by birthright) would abandon US citizenship.

I agree that no natural born citizen of the US can be stripped of their citizenship without consent.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Correcting an erroneous statement upthread - the USA most certainly DOES recognize dual or even multiple citizenship in the following circumstances:

1. a foreign national retaining their birth citizenship and passport after naturalizing as a US citizen

2. a natural born US citizen who acquires foreign citizenship and passport by parental birthright

I have two passports - one by birth and one by naturalization and both are part of my Nexus and GE profiles and not only was it never an issue, it was expected that I would register both for Nexus (as one of the passports is Canadian).
The US won't legally recognize a US dual-citizen as a non-US citizen when it comes to international agreements or claims by foreign sovereigns. That is what it means when some say the US doesn't recognize dual/multiple citizenship of US dual-citizens.

In practice, the US does consider in some circumstances the non-US citizenship status of US dual-citizens -- for some examples: when considering how to respond to an application to renounce US citizenship; or when considering placement of persons on the "disposition matrix".
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

That ruling differs from paperwork I was given during the naturalization process - where voluntarily taking up citizenship of a new country (not by birthright) would abandon US citizenship.

I agree that no natural born citizen of the US can be stripped of their citizenship without consent.
Afroyim, the plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that I cited above, was born in Poland in 1893. He immigrated to the US in 1912 and became a naturalized American citizen in 1926. He subsequently immigrated to Israel in 1950 and voted in Israeli elections in 1951. In 1960, when he applied for renewal of his United States passport, the State Department refused to issue one on the ground that he relinquished his US citizenship by voting in a political election of a foreign state in violation of the Nationality Act of 1940.

The US Supreme Court considered whether Congress can enact laws stripping Americans of their citizenship - which they never voluntarily renounced or given up - and held that naturalized citizens enjoy the same protections as native citizens and there is a constitutional right to remain a citizen of the United States unless one voluntarily renounces that citizenship.

That is still a valid holding. I strongly recommend that you read that decision.
lensovet likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 26, 2015 at 10:30 pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 pm

Afroyim, the plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that I cited above, was born in Poland in 1893. He immigrated to the US in 1912 and became a naturalized American citizen in 1926. He subsequently immigrated to Israel in 1950 and voted in Israeli elections in 1951. In 1960, when he applied for renewal of his United States passport, the State Department refused to issue one on the ground that he relinquished his US citizenship by voting in a political election of a foreign state in violation of the Nationality Act of 1940.

The US Supreme Court considered whether Congress can enact laws stripping Americans of their citizenship - which they never voluntarily renounced or given up - and held that naturalized citizens enjoy the same protections as native citizens and there is a constitutional right to remain a citizen of the United States unless one voluntarily renounces that citizenship.

That is still a valid holding. I strongly recommend that you read that decision.
I will - as this defies what we were warned about during the naturalization process. I don't have any new citizenships to add to my collection anytime soon, but knowing I can without losing my US citizenship is useful information.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Don't worry about losing U.S. citizenship. They have made it incredibly difficult to do even when you want to. Take a look at the renunciation taxes that have been imposed and the procedural requirements.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:27 am

I will - as this defies what we were warned about during the naturalization process. I don't have any new citizenships to add to my collection anytime soon, but knowing I can without losing my US citizenship is useful information.
Let me add a caveat.

Citizenships of naturalized US citizens can be revoked if it is proven that they were obtained fraudulently or that the applications included false information. That's how former Nazi concentration camp guards and war criminals were stripped of their US citizenships and deported for lying about their wartime activities on their immigration and citizenship applications.
Example:
The U.S. District Court in Pittsburgh today revoked the U.S. citizenship of Anton Geiser of Sharon, Pa., because of his participation in Nazi-sponsored acts of persecution while serving during World War II as an armed SS guard at Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp and other places of persecution, Assistant Attorney General Alice S. Fisher of the Criminal Division and U.S. Attorney Mary Beth Buchanan of the Western District of Pennsylvania announced today.

<snip>

Geiser, 81, immigrated to the United States from Austria in October 1956, and was naturalized as a U.S. citizen in March 1962. The district court found that he was not eligible for citizenship because his service to Nazi Germany made him ineligible to immigrate to the United States. Geiser's service as an armed SS guard, the court concluded, "clearly assisted in the persecution of the prisoners" held by the Nazis at Sachsenhausen, Buchenwald and Arolsen.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Let me add a caveat.

Citizenships of naturalized US citizens can be revoked if it is proven that they were obtained fraudulently or that the applications included false information. That's how former Nazi concentration camp guards and war criminals were stripped of their US citizenships and deported for lying about their wartime activities on their immigration and citizenship applications.
The current case of convicted terrorist R. Odeh of Michigan for example; the woman born c. 1949 was naturalized as a US citizen and she now is on the way to being removed from the US because she is considered to have willfully misrepresented her criminal history on applications. That said, if the government so wishes, it could go after many others naturalized as US citizens even when there is no prior criminal history outside of the US; but it uses its resources where it makes most sense and is less likely to be successfully challenged in court.

Going after some naturalized person in the US because they left off a middle name (which maybe they didn't even know they had or which they knew but didn't like) on an immigration or citizenship application isn't exactly a high priority for US federal prosecutors .... unless perhaps something else is going on than just that.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 27, 2015 at 5:38 am
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Going after some naturalized person in the US because they left off a middle name (which maybe they didn't even know they had or which they knew but didn't like) on an immigration or citizenship application isn't exactly a high priority for US federal prosecutors .... unless perhaps something else is going on than just that.
It has to be a willful misrepresentation or concealment of a material fact that affects one's eligibility to become a citizen.

Here is the relevant section of the Department of Homeland Security Policy Manual:

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 27, 2015 at 10:01 am Reason: Add link to DHS Policy Manual

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.