Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
My GE interview a few years ago took all of 2 minutes. What was more amusing was when the agent asked my 5 year old if he had ever been convicted of smuggling. "Uh - mom..."

Do you have to go through the same nonsense for renewal?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:42 pm

Global Entry Question

Sorry if I post this in the wrong place, but anyone ever signed up for the Global Entry service? I saw that you need to go for an interview.

What are the questions they ask?
If there's no interview center close to my city/state, does that mean I have to either drive/fly to the designated interview center?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moving to the Travel Safety/Security - Trusted Travelers sub-forum.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flybie
Sorry if I post this in the wrong place, but anyone ever signed up for the Global Entry service? I saw that you need to go for an interview.

What are the questions they ask?
If there's no interview center close to my city/state, does that mean I have to either drive/fly to the designated interview center?
Please use the search function. These questions have been asked and answered many times.

But.....

1) They can ask a wide variety of questions at the interview, but they tend to focus on questions relating to past arrests, convictions, and customs/immigration/agriculture violations. Be sure to tell the full and complete truth, including offenses from decades ago, and even including sealed records and juvenile offenses. They will have everything in the computer. They also might ask about which countries you have visited within a certain timeframe (5-10 years) before your application.

2) Yes, you must travel to an interview location after you make an appointment there for a specific time. You will be prompted to make this appointment after your background check clears and you are issued "conditional approval."
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:59 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Please use the search function. These questions have been asked and answered many times.

But.....

1) They can ask a wide variety of questions at the interview, but they tend to focus on questions relating to past arrests, convictions, and customs/immigration/agriculture violations. Be sure to tell the full and complete truth, including offenses from decades ago, and even including sealed records and juvenile offenses. They will have everything in the computer. They also might ask about which countries you have visited within a certain timeframe (5-10 years) before your application.

2) Yes, you must travel to an interview location after you make an appointment there for a specific time. You will be prompted to make this appointment after your background check clears and you are issued "conditional approval."
Once conditionally approved, you are required to make an interview appointment within 30 days (the app. itself can be more than 30 days out)--once you have a date in place, you can look for cancellations to get it earlier.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36

But.....

Hello, how long it takes from filing the application form online to get the "conditional approval?"

I am going to an airport that can conduct interview on June 9th, I plan to do it then. If I apply in May, will I have enough time to do that?

Secondly, can I make an appointment within 30 days for say 3-5 months later if I am not able to make it to my anticipated time/place?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by flybie
Hello, how long it takes from filing the application form online to get the "conditional approval?"
It varies.

Read this thread:
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
My mom's English is not very fluent, is it okay for me to go in with her to the interview or I would have to brief with her about the interview questions first (as in not allowed)?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
My mom's English is not very fluent, is it okay for me to go in with her to the interview or I would have to brief with her about the interview questions first (as in not allowed)?
My guess is that CBP will likely want her to answer the questions herself.

You might call up the office where she plans to do the interview and ask though.

Is her primary language one that is fairly common in the US (like Spanish)? She might be able to find an officer at the station that speaks the same language.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:50 am

I have my interview for GE tomorrow @ PHX.
Has anything chnged sinced experienced in 2011/2012 on this thread?
If its just taking my passport,driving licence and confirming what I put on the application form then seems pretty straight foward. thanks
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:10 pm

Yea that's about it. They asked me if I had any arrests.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:42 am

Hi, I just completed the Global Entry interview in Detroit. I read this thread beforehand and found it very helpful, but then I got asked a question I hadn't noticed anyone on this thread mentioning. So, thought I would post about it.

I live and work overseas but also have an address in the USA. The interviewer needed to see something with my complete workplace address (NOT overseas home address) on it. My employer (a German company) actually does not issue id cards. By chance, though, I had thought to bring my work contract as proof of employment. The contract actually only had the company headquarters address on it and not the address of my workplace (which is in a different city in the same country). Luckily on the last page of the document there was a rubber stamp from my section with the correct street address on it.

Not sure what he would have done if I hadn't been able to prove I was working in that city.

He also asked if I had ever been fingerprinted, and I had both in the US in 2002 and overseas in 2013. Neither one seemed to bother him as much as knowing my work address! The entire thing was painless and quick, the only hassle had been the logistics of timing the appointment for when I was back in the US for a few days.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:51 am

thanks for the added info.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:35 pm

Did mine a year or so ago and I somehow missed that the conditional approval letter said to bring a printed out copy of the approval letter. Once the agent realized this, he went into Bad Cop mode. "How'd you even know you were conditionally approved if you didn't even bother to read the letter that clearly said to print it and bring it with you?" I did my best to go into charming mode and keep talking through it and he eventually got over it and I got approved. But bring the damn letter - lesson learned. He was very impressed that my background checks literally returned nothing. Asked me what my job was and why I traveled overseas and if I had any relatives that I visited outside the country.

My 12 year old son has his interview tomorrow. Hopefully he keeps his tween attitude in check and gets approved.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:08 pm

They asked me my address and my name. That's it. No small talk. Didn't even tell me that he was taking the picture just put the camera up and click. Nothing about my travel (I travel A LOT internationally), nothing about prior records. No video. I was approved before I got in my car to leave.

Also, there was no private room or receptionist. Any and all questions are in front of others waiting, including him reading my name and address out loud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.