Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Winter season '16/'17, several trips to Italy, Greece, Israel, Hawaii, Thailand.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter season '16/'17, several trips to Italy, Greece, Israel, Hawaii, Thailand.....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
8. Day / 3rd winter trip

Time to leave Oahu.

After breakfast we packed bags, got the car. At check-out and found out that 2 nights, due to the issues we had, were deducted from the hotel bill, nice gesture. But when I wanted to sattle the bill in cash, the next problem occurred. Cash payment doest seem to be usual in the US.

Loaded our luggage in trunk and on the back seats, left Waikiki towards the airport. On way back we refilled the car - great, gas is cheaper than mineral water.

We arrived early at the rental car return, where the return process went smoothly.

From the rental car office to the terminal which serves 'Iceland-Air' its quite a distance. Fortunately a free shuttle brought us there.

I paid attention to the US tipping habits. Almost everyone, even if only one bag, gave US $ 5. Even passengers without luggage gave something. In my next life I become a shuttle driver in the US.

The terminal of Iceland-Air and Mokulele is located away from the main terminal, is quite small.

We moved inside

and very quickly checked in, received seats 6C/D.

At check-in you've to pay a baggage transportation fee, US $ 14 for the first bag, US $ 25 for the second, payable only by CC. Then you take luggage and take it for screwing and drop-off.

Quickly outside for a cigarette and through security into the departure hall.

At 1315, the ATR-72 was ready for boarding at exit 76

The boarding started over a ramp to the back of the aircraft. The plane was quite old and in bad condition,

the few passengers were all packed together in the back.

The take-off had been very noisy, with a view of Oahu.

The flight went uneventfully, except that there was a cup of guava punch with amazing 5% of real guava juice.

Kauai came in sight, unfortunately on the A/B side, and we landed after 30 minutes of flight. On the short distance from the plane to the terminal, we immediately noticed that it was colder on Kauai, or it feels like due to strong wind.

Form the luggage carousel we walked to the car rental offices, which were however closed. Instead a shuttle was waiting for us, took us to Advantage Car Rental.

The prices for car rental were from company to company very different, so a price comparison was very advisable. At some point, I received a discount code of 20% from Advantage, so I changed the reservation for a JEEP from AVIS (US $ 371) to Advantage (US $ 178). Okay, with AVIS I would have had the additional driver for free, but the extra at Advantage only was US $ 11 once.

Compared to the neighboring office of 'DOLLAR/Thrifty', Advantage was fortunately empty, we didn't have to wait.

Since no 2-door JEEP was available, we received an upgrade to the 4-door version, which we actually didn't need.

V. immediately complained because she was hungry and the car dirty, outside but especially inside. Luckily, I had been clever and, during the wait at airport HNL, already selected were to have lunch.

So we drove two miles to the take-away deli 'Fish Express',

a deli for poke and fresh fish, which is mainly visited by locals (which the agent at the car rental company confirmed).

Inside and checked the great selection.

We chose standard Ahi Poke, spicy Ahi Poke, Lobster Poke, added some ginger, seaweed salad, a portion of rice and a Diet Coke.

At just US $ 32 it wasn't as expensive as expected.

As there are no seats to sit down, we went straight to Kalapaki Beach. Unfortunately, it was so windy for sitting at one of the picknick tables. So we took our late lunch in the car, watching the surfers.

The Poke was just fantastic, the best food on this trip. The fish was very fresh and deliciously seasoned, the Lobster sensational.

After having had lunch it was time to drive to the hotel, V. already on the way preferred Kauai over Oahu.

Last time when I've been on Kauai I stayed at the Grand Hyatt - and had been deeply disappointed. So this time I booked at the Sheraton Kauai Resort. For just under US $ 200 plus tax plus resort fee (US $ 31.25/day) the expectations weren't too high.

The resort is already older, which can be seen immediately.

The lady at check-in was very friendly

and gave us a deluxe room on 3rd floor with ocean view instead of the assigned garden suite.

As SPG Platinum benefits, there are:
- 4x / week wine tasting
- Premium Internet access (instead of standard)
- Free valet parking (instead of free self parking)
- US $ 20 voucher for coffee
- 500 points or continental breakfast

The room was absolutely okay for the price paid,

was probably renovated some time ago, the carpet in front of the sink (which I hate!) had been exchanged for tiles.

And we had a balcony with sunset view!

We weren't hungry so we decided to visit a supermarket instead of a restaurant, bought Coke Zero, macadamia nuts and other small things.

Back to the hotel, where we rested.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
9. Day / 3rd winter trip

At some point, it had to hit me. I've been flying around the world for almost five years and have not become sick a single time. But in the night I got limb pain, temperature and my eyes hurt. So I took a few tablets, moved under the blanket and hoped that the sickness will disappeared until the morning.

After I had slept extremely badly, my temperature in the morning had dropped to 38.6 degrees C - but still feeling very weak.

From our balcony we enjoyed a beautiful, double rainbow

and went for breakfast.

Past the pool

to the breakfast restaurant, very, very basic.

We received a table and the explanation for the platinum breakfast: in the back room are two buffets, left side 'continental ',

right side 'normal' - which we could take at US $ 9 ++ surcharge.

We checked out the selection, decided for the platinum version, offering exclusively industrial products.

I took oatmeal and fruits, something they normally prepare very well in the US - but not at the Sheraton Kauai. Here the Oatmeal was watered down, completely over cooked, only a mash. The "Guava Juice" was incidentally as served in the airplane.

Otherwise, there was the cheapest peanut butter & jelly, everything of the lowest quality. So we stayed with Bagel & Cream Cheese.

Our excursion started, today via the east coast to the north shore. V. took over the steering wheel, I was simply not fit enough. At the airport we turned north, saw some beautiful beaches.

In the north it got really nice, lots of gras and trees, great views, beautiful beaches.

We arrived at the end of the street and turned around, drove back to Princeville to get some ice-cream.

Vanilla for V., I ordered 'Nene Tracks', a combination of everything I like (dark chocolate, caramel and nuts), delicious!

In Kapaa it was time for lunch, we went to the highly recommended 'Al Pastor Tacos' Food Truck.

V. ordered garlic shrimp tacos, I got steak tacos.

Okay, but really not outstanding, no idea why their food is so highly praised.

At least the roosters were happy, picking the garbage.

Now we had to head back to the airport, at 2:30 pm we had to check-in for our helicopter tour.

I had booked again with Jack Harter, was flown with them years ago quite enthusiastically. This time, however, the opted for the 'open doors' version of the tour.

At arrival,

we got a security briefing before it went by shuttle bus to the Heliport. Here we got lifejackets before we could go to the helicopter.

The take-off itself always is an experience.

Unfortunately the weather partly was not good at all.

We got the two seats next to the pilot, V. in the middle, me on the outside at the removed door. Not a good choice with some temperature, especially when raining. It got really cold, my right side became very wet.

So we flew 60 minutes over Kauai, because of the weather it was quite turbulent, we were thoroughly shaken, V. clawed her fingernails in my thigh that it hurt.

The view was fantastic, waterfalls, canyons ... The bad weather made it particularly impressive.

I think that you can not understand the beauty of Kauai without a helicopter tour - at least not in such a short time.

Slowly, my fingers became white/greenish, a phenomenon which I have since I'm a child.

After 60 minutes I was glad to be back on the ground, so cold I felt. 'Open-doors' I would never do again, uncomfortable, cold.

V. was greenish in the face after this flight - she told me that she never wants to fly again with a helicopters.

Back to the hotel, where I quickly put myself under the blanket. The evening ended with a glass of Vick Medi Nait.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:06 am
Original Poster

10. Day / 3rd winter trip

Thanks to Vick Medi Nait I managed to sleep for 10 hours, very unusual. Due to this I felt better in the morning, but not perfect. At least my fear that the helicopter flight has made everything worse didn't became true.

The terrible hotel breakfast we skipped. At 10:30 we were on the road, heading towards 'Spouting Horn' about 3 miles west of the Sheraton.

At the parking lot we left the JEEP, walked through an alley of sales stands to the 'Spouting Horn'. The scenery in both directions was very beautiful, the 'Spouting Horn' itself not very impressive.

We continue on the south coast to the west, with nice views into canyons.

Our first planned stop was at 'Ishihara Market' in Weimea,

at TA highly praised for poke and other products.

The selection was great,

we selected some lunch, paid US $ 44 and left with a cardboard box of treats.

We passed the Russian fortress in Weimea on the left, didn't stop because there wasn't a lot to see. From the 50 West we turned off into the 550, the Weimea Canyon Drive. So we drove slowly up the mountains.

The ride on the Canyon Drive is a challenge for the nerves - not because of the countless curves, no, because of the speed limit of only 25 mph and very slow drivers. Fortunately, V. (like yesterday) drove almost the whole way, I would have gotten crazy.

After quite a drive we reached Weimea Canyon Lookout,

continued along the Canyon Drive until we reached another lookout.

Luckily, we found a picnic area, where we unpacked our poke box-brunch.

up left to low right: Mac salad, wasabi ahi, raw korean-style crabs, spicy shrimp and spicy lobster (actually crayfish).

The food was more than delicious, especially eaten in the fresh air.

Strengthened it went on to the end of the road, to the Pu'u O Kila lookout for a fantastic panorama.

Back south, with a short off-road detour,

We had to check the ability of the JEEP.

Back on the coastal road we turned right, towards the Polihale State Park. The last 4 miles were gravel and sand roads. We had a lot of fun to overtaking the slow compact cars and convertibles in a huge cloud of dust (I'm not to be blamed, V. drove).

At the far end of the beach, we turned left on a path into the dunes, had no problems thanks to 4x4, turned the car off and walked down to the ocean.

What a fantastic beach! Of course, I had to take some photos of V. No, that's not a pleasure - because it has to be done at exactly the right moment, when the waves are perfect. Then the photo is checked, withdrawn, again done...

But somehow the photos, after some trials, were okay and we drove, again with a huge cloud of dust, back to 50 East.

In Eleele, we came across a "Lappart's", the shop where we had a delicious ice cream yesterday. Here we stopped, of course, to get some more.

At about 5 o'clock we reached rainy Poipu, gave our car for valet.

Actually, as this day was our anniversary, a table was reserved at 'JO2', Kauai's Fine Dining address. But as I still felt, 50 minutes drive there plus 50 minutes back, wasn't on my to-do-list. Luckily V. understood.

So we went to the room, where V. tried to get me with all sorts of medicine.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Poster

11. Day / 3rd winter trip

3 nights & 2 days on Kauai are okay, ideal would have been an additional day to spend it on the beaches of the west shore, depending on the weather.

When we went to breakfast in the morning it was raining again, slowly this annoyed.The weather also slowly reflected our mood.

We quickly ate a half bagle with cream cheese and a muffin, packed up and checked out. The car was brought and we started our trip to the airport.

On the way we fueled the JEEP, returned the car at Advantage and took the shuttle to the terminal.

At the check-in-counter of Island Air

we got the first shock of the day: our flight with Iceland Air to HNL was postponed by 53 minutes, which meant we could not reach our connection flight to Kona. We were changed to a later flight from HNL to KOA, so that we would reach our destination with a delay of 3 hours and 14 minutes. Thank you!

At least they were so kind as to give us the first two bags for free so that we had to pay US $ 15 instead of 55.

Through security into the depressing departure hall where we had to wait for 2 hours.

Fortunately, V. found a 'Hawaii' souvenir-spoon for purchase, so this was already done.

The flight was called on time

and we were allowed to go via a ramp to the plane.

The flight was barely 50% booked, no idea why all passengers were placed on the A/B side, because the C/D side remained completely free.

After a fairly windy landing at HNL we went to the arrival hall, where we were allowed to go directly into the departure hall to wait 3 hours for our next flight. At US $ 4 we purchased a small Coke-Zero and I went outside for a smoke (since the terminal is so small, the total time required was only 10 minutes).

Shortly before the indicated boarding time for our flight to Kona, they informed that the flight would be 40 minutes delayed due to too late arriving aircraft.

At 16:30 the boarding finally started and shortly after 5 we were in the air (ATR 72). This time we had a special passenger on board:

It was a diabetes dog, who can feel by licking the owner's skin whether he needs a dose of insulin or not. The dog, by the way, behaved exemplary well, far better than the children 3 rows in front of us.

Shortly after 6pm we arrived at the airport of Kona, over 4 hours late, while a beautiful sunset.

The airport is very new compared to the airports on the other island, not so terribly run down. We picked up our luggage

and took the shuttle to the AVIS office.

I had booked a full-size, hoping for a nice upgrade as 'President'. I asked for an SUV and got a Ford Edge - which however had no all-wheel drive. Only a JEEP available as 4x4, AVIS wanted US $ 82 ++ extra - per day! When I refused this, the employee said 'let me check what I can do', so I finally got the 2-door JEEP at an additional cost of US $ 38 including taxes for the entire 5 days.

Inspection of the vehicle's condition was unfortunately not possible due to the the complete absence of light at the parking lot.

We folded down the rear seats to accomplish our luggage and finally drove from the parking lot in the direction of our hotel. The road was the best so far we've experienced in Hawaii, in top condition.

30 minutes later we reached our hotel, the 'Fairmont Orchid', so far our most beautiful as newest hotel on Hawaii.

I had booked a standard room with garden view. Unfortunately we had to realize that although King-Size was booked, a room with two queen beds was given. So back to the front desk where we received another room.

Even though we had done nothing but flying, we were exhausted - and hungry!

We had no desire to sit in a restaurant so we drove to 'Island Gourmet', a fantastic supermarket.

Hungry as we were we were stunned by the selection. We wouldn't have this expected on Big Island. So we strolled through the aisles, chose our dinner.

US $ 55 lighter we left the supermarket and drove back to the hotel, parked the JEEP at the free parking lot and prepared dinner in the hotel room.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:51 am
Original Poster

12. Day / 3. winter trip

When I wanted to upload the photos for the trip report I was surprised by the standard Internet access included in the resort fee: 4 KB/s! Other pages were not opened at all. I called the 'Royal Service', where I was told that I could book the premium Internet access for about US $ 10.50/day, that the standard access would be just as slow. Only after I got angry and spoke of 'fraud' I was suddenly given the premium access free of charge.

In the morning we realized that, even at a Fairmont, not everything is glittering, for example the shower. No, no rain shower, no WESTIN standard, no, a hand-held shower-head, which I would rather expect in a short time room in Thailand:

Okay, the view from the balcony is not great either

- but I had only, Swabian as I am, booked the cheap room category without breakfast.

So this morning I read the information which kind of services is included in the resort fee, e.g. a 45-minute photo session. Great, that's what V. wanted. So I called the 'Royal-Service', which connected me to the photographer. Yes, the photo session is really inclusive, either in the morning while sunrise or in the evening while sunset. They would take between 120 and 150 photos, which can be picked up the next morning unprocessed on a memory stick, at US $ 480 plus tax, real photos US $ 9 per piece. Okay, I had been wondering about the free photo session - but I did not expect such a rip-off.

No matter, at 08:15 we left the room, walked through the hotel complex

to the car.

Since yesterday on arrival it was already dark, we saw the surroundings for the first time: a single, huge lava field - stunning!

We followed the 19 from the coast to the island, where we took a short stop in Waimea to have a small breakfast, today 'American-style' at McDonalds. One thing you have to credit McDonalds is the Oatmeal with raisins, cranberries and fruits. While we ate quite healthy the majority of the guests didn't. We were amazed how much one can eat, but the average BMI was clearly above 30.

We continue along the 19 to Honokaa, where we turned off to the Waipi'o Valley Lookout. When we arrived, we left our car, went to the platform.

Now we had a JEEP - and so we were allowed to drive down into the valley. The automatic transmission in first gear and slowly the drive started. If this was very steep at first, it became even steeper and very narrow, V. had some fear, I had fun.

At the bottom we drove through the valley,

saw the big waterfall in the background.

We were amazed how many hikers were on the way, who walked along the street and now through the valley. We only thought 'you have to walk up again later'. Already we came to the first crossing of a river, an obstacle for pedestrians. So we were asked, if we could take someone through the river with us. A lady from the Nappa Valley climbed into our car and we drove in 4WD mode (and a queasy feeling in the stomach) through the water.

But it worked well, we arrived on the other side. Our passenger was very happy when we offered her to continue with us.

Suddenly we were surrounded by horses.

I carefully moved on.

Again through a small river

and we had reached the end of the road, turned around, and passed the horses again. This time, however, one had fallen in love with our JEEP, scrubbing his nostrils on the bonnet.

- but again we passed, and finally found the junction to the beach - with a signboard 'road blocked dangerous road conditions'. But we had a JEEP, so it was probably not for us.

The path was really bad, somehow we came to a large flooded area, which one could not drive around. Since it was not clear how deep the water was, how muddy the ground, I tested with a long stick. It did not look so bad and I decided to take the risk, switched 4WD on LOW and with speed into the brown water. And we also managed, we arrived on the other side, the car completely dirty.

Still a difficult, slippery hill and we arrived at the beach, parked the car.

Here we realized that it was worth the risk, the beach with its black sand was simply fantastic!

Further back we saw a waterfall that spilled directly into the ocean.

Another glimpse into the valley.

The return journey we managed somewhat more confident. This time everything went much easier, the slippery descent, the 'lake' and also the ride up to the lookout.

Here, at 11:30, we said 'goodbye' to our passenger. She was so happy, because actually she had thought she needed the whole day for the tour. She offered us money for gas, an invitation for a coffee - but we declined, had basically no time.

V. took over the steering wheel and we went on towards Akaka waterfalls. Shortly after Honokaa it began to rain heavily, the street was partly flooded by cascading streams.

Nice to look at Look - but also dangerous for aquaplaning.

Wrongly, we had entered 'Akaka Falls' into Google Maps, a mistake! We were guided via narrow roads

and bridges over rushing streams

headed to the interior of the island, before we stood, half a mile before our destination, in front of a sign: 'Private property, no passage to the waterfalls'. Since it was raining heavily we turned around and drove to Pepeekeo, where 'What's Shakin' is located off the 19,

a small deli for organic, unsweetened smoothies and a few little items for lunch.

We ordered a 'Mango Tango', chips & guacamole for V., as well as a dish consisting of avocado, papaya, banana and tuna salad for me.

Especially the smoothie was delicious, the food quite good.

With new energy we started the second part of our day trip, via Hilo to Saddle Road.

First, what we saw of Hilo by driving the 19 did not please us. But when we reached the city center we were surprised: beautiful buildings from the turn of the century. Too bad we had no time for a stop.

Since the tank of the JEEP was already half empty, we were not sure whether we would find a petrol station between the east and the west coast, so we filled up again and I took over the steering wheel.

Out of Hilo and up to the mountains, unfortunately still in light rain. The Saddle Road was partly just under renovation, is simply a mud road. Even at only 25 mph you had to be careful that the JEEP went straight, probably also because of the short wheelbase.

On the outskirts of Hilo we saw the first lava rocks, the landscape on the left and right of the road changed completely into a huge gravel field

with sparse growth of bushes, red plants

and isolated, small trees.

At some point we reached the junction to the Mauna Kea Visitor Center. The road now went up steeply, because of the height the vehicles, even our JEEP, were in heavy duty mode.

When we reached the Visitor Center we had a unpleasant surprise: the road was blocked due to snow and ice.

In addition, the volcano was in the clouds, nothing to see. Disappointed

and with usage of the motor brake down to Saddle Road.

But we did not want to give up, we had just seen a junction to the left, which was taken by many locals with their higher pick-ups.

We didn't get disappointed by taking this road. The road was single lane with many curves and waves through a unique landscape, as if one would drive on the moon.

Because of the craggy cliffs, one had to pay close attention to the oncoming, also because no one cared about the speed limit of 20 mph.

After a while the road went up steeply, we came into the clouds, the sight fell to zero, which made the whole thing even more exciting.

After 20 miles we reached the end of the road at the Mauna Loa Observatory (therefore the street is called 'Observatory Road').

There were some cars in the parking lot and the few tourists enjoyed the isolated snow.

But we had licked blood, we've seen pick-ups with wagon loads of snow coming down the mountain. While we were standing in the parking lot we noticed that the locals took a dirt road to the summit with their raised pick-ups.

On the fenders of our JEEP was written 'Trailrated' - so the 4WD was switched to LOW and we went up the dirt road towards the summit, following the locals ins their trucks.

Now it became really steep, the path extremely bad, but the JEEP just continued. After a few miles the first raised Toyotas got stuck, and had to go back on the slippery ground because of spinning wheels. The JEEP just went on without problems.

Partially I thought the JEEP will not manage due to its low clearance

but it simply went on climbing the mountain.

We reached a small spot where a few younger locals had parked their pick-ups, listened to loud music, and had a party going on. Here, at 3'700 meters, we also parked the JEEP,

because the road now got very icy in addition - enough snow we had anyway.

Here we found also what probably one hardly expects on Hawaii: a snowman. Quickly shot a few photos

and departed down the the Saddle Road. We really enjoyed it, a real highlight.

While up we had excellent weather with a blue sky and sunshine, the clouds were still very present, V. barely could see the road.

Almost back on Saddle Road we had a fantastic view of the Mauna Kea.

As it would soon be dark, we entered our hotel as destination in the navigation system and drove back down to the west coast, where we arrived at 6pm. Our route looked like this:

Actually, dinner was planned in a nearby restaurant - but we were exhausted, just wanted to rest. So again to 'Island Gourmet' where we bought for V. something Japanese and for me something sweet.

I was disappointed by Big Island a few years ago (okay, I was only 2 hours on the island, did a helicopter-tour), now we were completely excited. The landscape is reminiscent of New Zealand, partly of the moon, what more can one wish to see at one day? Beach, fantastic landscapes, varied vegetation, exciting roads, moon landscape and even snow? 'Big Island', the best for Hawaii so far!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:15 am
Original Poster

13. Day / 3rd winter trip

For the day we had planned to use the pretty beach infrastructure of the Fairmont Orchid, sun, sea and waves.

However, as usual, when opening our eyes we were greeted by clouds & drizzle. Now we already know that normally this condition in Hawaii can change within minutes - but it didn't look like.

At around 11 o'clock we jumped in the car, drove north, first following 19, then 270 North. Along the coast from the west coast with its low vegetation to the north coast, which is more like a tropical rain forest. It is impressive how quickly, at what short distance, the vegetation completely changes.

Since we had not had breakfast, we stopped in Hawi.

The small village is quite 'hippie'.

Along the street

to a cafe, in front sitting older ladies (maybe left from the summer of 69) playing music. The gray weather and this music made us almost fall asleep, so we decided get a 'coffee to go'.

Inside we ordered the strongest coffee available. Exorbitant US $ 6 paid and - it was somehow clear - received an indefinable brown broth, which called itself 'dark roast'.

On the Pololu Valley lookout we decided against a descent the very slippery path down into the valley, neither by car nor by feet. The view from the car out to the valley was very impressive, also due the weather

- but we had no desire to break our legs or worse.

On the way back we stopped at a smoothie stand,

V. got us a delicious mix of papaya, pineapple, banana and lemon. Nice, but no comparison to the 'Mango Tango' from 'What's Shakin'.

As we are hungry, we turned to Weimea. This road leads slowly goes up to over 1000 meters heights,

through forest, until we came out of the clouds. Here we had a beautiful view of the cloudbound west coast.

Again, into the clouds

and down to Weimea at about 700 meters. Using TA I had selected two interesting restaurants, the first was 'Yong's Kal-Bi'.

Hungry with a desire for Korean cuisine we arrived and were welcomed by a sign 'closed on Sundays'. No problem, just opposite was alternative 2, the 'Noodle Club'. Fortunately, this one was open and so we entered.

From the menu we chose 'Bao Bun' with pork belly as a small starter.

Tasty, with a better taste than the Bao Buns we had in Honolulu.

As main V. chose Ramen,

I look for a Pho with bone marrow:

Reasonably seasoned the Ramen soup was delicious, the combination of rice noodles with well-salted bone marrow however stunning.

Very satisfied, we left into the gray and we drove back to the beige hotel with our gray JEEP. Sometimes you wonder how fast 4 hours pass.

As I finally felt well again I went to the gym,

better equipped than at the previous SPG hotels - but as cold as a fridge.

Since we were still incredibly full from the soups, in the evening we just had two incredibly delicious (and caloric) chocolate-nut-caramel cookies.

We packed our bags so we didn't have to do the next morning.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

14. Day / 3rd winter trip

Since we were facing a stressful day with many miles of driving and some highlights, we woke up at 7, were on the road by 08:30.

To get to Volcano and Volcanos National Park you have two options from the west coast: the first, nearer and faster route, leads over the Saddle Road to Hilo and then south. As we had already seen the Saddle Road, we decided for the longer and further variant, via the southern tip of the island and then north to Volcano.

The first stop took place at McDonalds to grab a 'take-away' breakfast, because there was no time for anything else - besides, I repeat, the Oatmeal is simply good (while the coffee is terrible).

We followed the west coast via 19 and later 11, to the left the mountains, on the right the shore. The vegetation changed between lagoons and tropical rainforest.

When we reached the south, the landscape, lava flows, and smooth mountains, looked very nice, as it was photographed with a softener filter in front of the lens.

A short stop on a broad lava field, on which the various periods of the flow were explained by means of the different colors of the rocks.

After about 3 hours drive we reached the junction to 'South Point', the southernmost point of the US. 11 miles over a fairly narrow and partially bad road and we had arrived, can now say that we were at the southernmost point of the US.

Here you will find a parking lot, where you should park your car, to walk approximately 5 miles to the 'Green Sand Beach'.

As the path to the beach is extremely muddy, the locals have made a business out of it, to offer car rides in raised SUV's to the beach.

We were wondering that there were so many JEEP's in the car lot - should the path really be that slippery because of the heavy rain over the last few days? No matter what can happen to us? If it is too bad, we just turn around again - we thought.

So we drove on, four-wheel-drive set to 4WD-low. At first it started very stony, huge stones, we (and all our luggage in the trunk) were thoroughly shaken. Unfortunately, this changed soon, nothing more with stones - instead several muddy, partly flooded pathes through marshy and extremely slippery fields. Now it was necessary to select the right path not to get stuck, and always enough speed to reach the 'shore' through the deep marsh.

The first 2 miles went smoothly - until I chose the wrong path. Suddenly we were stuck in the middle of the deepest morass. I tried it back and forth, came back to the path, and then finally got stuck in the marshy grass.

Now there was no forward and no back, all 4 tires simply spun and swirled the mud in all directions. Advise: when you try to do so, close the windows!!! Otherwise you look like I do after this action.

A few pedestrians came by, trying to free us with stones and pushing - no chance.

Luckily one of the locals came by with his SUV, pulled us on a towing rope,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj03...ature=youtu.be

offered us to follow him.

This we did and I realized my mistake: do not be afraid and always use a lot of swing through every water hole, every muddy slope.

So we safely reached the parking lot above the 'Green Sand Beach'

(Now we no longer had the problem to locate our JEEP among all the others, it was now unique)

enjoyed the view, walked around a bit.

After 30 minutes it drove back again, following the local driver. This time I was feeling safer, always had enough speed and torque - and so we reached back to the parking lot completely shaken.

Back on 11 and north to 'Punalu'u Black Sand Beach' on the east coast.

The car park was full of tour buses, the beach filled with Chinese and Japanese.

So we stayed with a look from the distance, hit back on the main road.

We arrived in Volcano shortly after 3, drove to our accommodation, the 'Chalet Kilauea'. Very nicely done.

Checked in, luggage carried to the room and immediately left again for the national park. On the way we bought a delicious sandwich and drove further to the park entrance, about 4 kilometers from our lodge.

At the entrance there were many cars and after a short wait we paid US $ 25 for the 'Tri-Pass' (includes the national park on Maui).

Immediately to the Visitor Center, where a very friendly and competent lady told us what we should do in what order.

We drove the 'Crater Rim Drive' south until we arrived at the parking lot of the 'Thurston Lava Tube'. Car parked and walked to the entrance of the lava tube,

a natural tunnel in the lava created by lava flow.

The interior was dark and wet, very wet. Halfway we turned around, out of the tube

and back to the car.

Another stop on a crater

before the nice street went down to the beach.

The journey was very impressive, in the background the huge water vapor column of the lava which flows into the ocean.

At the end of the 'Chain of Craters Road' we parked the car and walked to the lookout platform for the coastal line

and the Holei Sea Arch.

From this point one could also walk to the point where the lava flows into the ocean - but 10 miles were a bit too far in the dark.

So we went back to the car, drove back up, this time via the Visitor Center Center to the west to the 'Kilauea Overlook', from where one can see the lava-filled, steaming crater in the dark.

A quick stop in the museum to read the very informative boards. Now it was dark, we could experience the crater in all its beauty.

After 10 hours on the road we had enough, bought something to eat at the local shop (can't call it supermarket) and went back to the hotel, where we could finally have a look at our room.

Very nicely done,

including a small kitchenette with microwave

and great bathroom

with a huge shower (2x 4 meters) with two rain showers and individual water temperature control.

Also the free internet was much faster here. At the Fairmont the upload of 20 photos took 2 hours, here about 5 minutes.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

15. Day / 3rd winter trip

Since it was a less stressful day with only two program points, we slept a bit longer and left our accommodation only shortly before 11.

We entered 'Kalpana' in the navigation system, the starting point for the lava walk, and were surprised this is a full hour drive from Volcano.

On the way we passed a McDonalds, got Oatmeal with fruits as a late breakfast.

At the end of the 130 there's a parking lot with many vendors for drinks & snacks as well as numerous bicycle rental spots. I drove to the very end and made asked for information and prices.

The guy at the bike rental company was very nice, told me that he would like to rent out two bicycles immediately, but that this would not be in our interest, that we should return at 16:30, so we are at the hotspot by 5 pm.

So back on the road, this time along the 137.

137 is very impressive, with great vegetation

and breathtaking beaches.

The bicycle-guy even pointed out to us that there was a nudist beach where 'Magic Mushrooms' and other things were on offer.

Somehow we came back to route 130, searched for a car wash. As it turned out, car wash facilities on Hawaii are rare. So we drove up to Hilo, began our search and finally found one.

US $ 10 paid and waited 30 minutes in queue.

When it was finally our turn, standing in front of the car wash entry, I could read a sign, 'no driveway with spare tire at the tailgate'. Super, that's exactly what our JEEP had. The owner of the car wash pointed out that the third brake light on top of the spare wheel holder would cause problems, the washing system would often just stop - but we could try.

So we pushed inside and tried. It worked out without problems, just the car wasn't very clean afterwards. I hoped it is clean enough to have to pay the penalty to the car rental company.

Now it was almost 4 o'clock, time to return to the bicycle rental spot.

There we paid US $ 40 and gave a driving license for security purpose. We could choose two bikes, got two headlights and water.

If you do not want to spend US $ 20 / bike can also walk, 2 hours there and 2 hours back in the dark - in our eyes quite stupid.

We cycled on the gravel road for 4 miles

until we reached the 'Lava View Area'.

Bicycles parked and asked a ranger if one would see 'surface lava'. Unfortunately, this was denied, because the lava currently flows through a lava tube to the ocean. So we went along the barrier, down to the ocean, to get a glimpse at daylight.

Of course there was already a lot going on, especially the hobby photographers with telephoto and tripod had secured the best places. So we stood and saw the lava flow from far, far away.

Unfortunately too far away from the happening, one needed good imagination so see something.

We were looking for a place, sat down, waited for the darkness, in hope to be able to see more.

A few boats drove right in front of the flowing Lava, I had thought about this possibility before. However, in all reviews, the ride was described as very bumpy, many passengers got sick on the way. I did not want to do risk, the helicopter flight was enough for V.

When the darkness set in, we suddenly saw people far behind the barrier, very close to the action. So we took moved, too, crossed the barrier and also went very close to where the lava has flown into the ocean.

From this spot we had a phenomenal view of the action.

We sat down and were amazed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M83-...ature=youtu.be

Just before 7 it got really dark, we switched on our headlamps, hiked back to the bicycles, drove back to the car. The only real risk were the pedestrians without any lamp, who we had to pass all the time. Walking in the complete darkness can not be fun.

Now we were hungry! However, Volcano and surrounding area is not a paradise for good food, the reviews in TA are rather mediocre to bad. Since we did not want to spend an hour in a restaurant for bad food, we just stopped at Burger King in Pahoa.

The Whopper is always a treat, this time with Teriyaki sauce for V., Bacon & Cheese for me - onion rings as a side, a Grilled Chili Dog to test.

Back to the hotel, V. almost fell asleep.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

16. Day / 3rd winter trip

Today it was time to leave Big Island, anyway had seen everything we wanted to see.

In the morning we packed the bags, thrown them into the car and drove to Hilo International Airport.

The 'almost' clean car we returned at AVIS returned and walked the 50 meters to check-in of Hawaiian Airlines. After a short wait we were given a self-check-in machine.

Flight number & last name entered: No Match! so I started my notebook, searched for the confirmation code. Again everything entered: No Match!

I checked at the flight booking in detail and got a shock! Instead of the flight to Maui at 11:36 I had accidentally booked the flight at 08:00 - and not even notice this. First time this happened to me.

I informed the friendly lady of Hawaiian, which then sent me to a check-in-counter. I thought I had to buy two new tickets - but the lady booked us for the 11:36 flight, free of charge.

I paid US $ 85 for 3 pieces of luggage and received the boarding passes.

Through security into the departure hall.

The flight was called and we went to gate 7, where we got another boarding pass for 11 C/D. Into the plane

to our seats.

The flight was uneventful, there was water or juice again. We realized that we had been really lucky to have been changed for this flight, because inclusive of us the load had been exactly 100%.

After 30 minutes we landed on Maui, went through the terminal to the baggage claim.

At Starbucks V. got herself a 'coffee', as far as can really call this brown water 'coffee'.

When we left the terminal we had to wait for the shuttle of the rental car company. I had booked again with 'Advantage', the price was, despite the additional driver's fee at US $ 65, unbeatable. A standard SUV (Hyundai Santa Fee AWD) I had booked at just US $ 165 for 5 days.

The rental process took quite long, because the staff wanted to convince me of full insurance protection and fuel option - unsuccessfully. The car wasn't exactly in the best condition, lots of dents and scratches.

We were hungry, I had found using TA a highly recommended restaurant, 'Da Kitchen',

directly opposite the office of Advantage.

In front of 'Da Kitchen' we already saw a larger quantity of people waiting for a table, and therefore we also had to enter our name into a list. But already 10 minutes later I received a text that our table would be available.

We studied he menu and ordered. For V. 'Garlic Chicken' with rice,

for me Ahi poke with rice on Nori.

Both was fine - but not overwhelming, at US $ 44 including taxes and tip not too expensive.

The navigation system told 45 minutes to the hotel, the WESTIN Maui Resort.

What a a terrible concrete bunker! If I would have had booked at the full price, I would have been annoyed. But thanks to BRG the price for this hotel was okay.

We gave the car to the valet guy (Valet Parking for Platinum members free of charge) and went into the lobby, overlooking a waterfall and flamingos.

The check-in process was very slow, the lady had problems finding my booking. But somehow it worked out, they gave us an upgrade to a room with ocean view on the 10th floor.

The room was fine, for US-conditions modern,

with a nice view towards the resort pool area (with water slide) and ocean.

What I do not understand on Hawaii is that it's even forbidden to smoke on the balcony.

Luggage unpacked and to the gym.

Many treadmills, cross-trainer and bicycles - but little training machines. I did my workout for 1 hours, then recovered in the excellent WESTIN-Heavenly-Bed.

In the evening we got hungry, decided to drive to the nearby Times-Supermarket.

Of course, we were again buying too much.

So this day ended with a dinner in bed (sushi, poke with rice) while watching TV.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

17. Day / 3rd winter trip

Another rainy day, we decided to spend the day on the 'Road to Hana'. As I have been informed most of the people start the trip around 9 o'clock, which leads to heavy traffic on the road.

Not to have traffic jam we awoke at 05:30, went for breakfast at Relish-Caf already shortly after the opening at 06:45 in the Relish-Caf. Even at this time we had for a table.

The breakfast buffet I would rate 3 star-hotel-standard, everything very simple, no fresh juices, 'coffee' from the jug on the table. So I took some fruits, cottage cheese and tried the oatmeal. Even at McDonalds, however, the oatmeal is tasting better.

At 07:45 we sat in the car, V. at the steering wheel, and left the resort.

The first 40 minutes passed until we were back in the airport, from where the 36 east leads in the direction of the 'Road to Hana' (360).

Our first stop we had at Ho'okipa Beach Lookout, a bay with big waves

and many surfers,

which in the morning enjoying the waves.

Shortly thereafter we reached mile 0 of the 'Road to Hana'. The road became curvy, then more curvy, changing from narrow to narrower.

Another stop at the Twin Falls car park. We passed in the rain through the barrier, to find out only after 100 meters that the trail was extremely muddy. We had seen waterfalls on Hawaii already. So we turn to our Hyundai, continued the drive.

The next stop took place at Kaumahina State Wayside Park. We walked 50 meters to the viewing platform, looked into the bay, took pictures and continued - this wasn't worth any more.

Now a coffee was planned at 'Aunty Sandy's' at Mile Marker 16.5. But we did not find this caf either on the way there nor on the way back.

Yes, the Road to Hana is really curvy, fortunately, V. had packed her Motion-Sickness tablets of which she took two. Particularly, at the one-lane bridges, one must be careful not to collide with the oncoming traffic, especially since some drivers drive very slow to get a view or even stop to take photos of the numerous waterfalls and rivers.

We also took photos, left our car (mostly) before or after the bridges, then walked in the rain on the bridge.

Suddenly a blockage of the road, we had to wait for wait 20 minutes. The reason was a landslide, an excavator had to clear the road. Anyway, especially in the rain, I would definitely recommend an AWD vehicle for the 'Road to Hana', which makes driving much safer. Some rear-wheel drive vehicles and specifically the JEEPs in the 2WD mode, were quite unstable in some curves with slippery ground (mud).

After a 3 hour drive we reached Wai'anapanapa State Park just before Hana, drove into the parking lot, walked to the lookout platform: once again a bay with black sand and a lava bridge in the sea.

Shortly after we reached Hand and drove to the Hana Bay. Nothing special, so we made just a photo from the side window

and drove further south, where the road becomes worse, extremely curvy and narrow.

But here we found the highlight of our day trip, 'Bradduh Hutts BBQ'.

We left the car in the muddy car park and went to the food truck.

There we ordered a portion of BBQ chicken with rice as well as a noodle salad at US $ 11.

This was the best meal we had in the whole of Hawaii, this food we will remember. Not only was it juicy, no the BBQ sauce was a stunner, the meat of high quality and the noodle salad very tasty! That we found food like this on Hawaii - at only US $ 11!!!

Now I took the steering wheel, drove through hilly landscape with - what miracle - waterfalls

and rivers

10 miles south to the Kipahulu National Park. At the entrance one usually has to pay US $ 20, but as we had bought the Tri-Pass on Big Island, the entrance was included.

We had already prepared ourselves for a small hike (2 miles) to the waterfall - but the trail was closed. A view of the sea and again back to the car, so we could start or return to the west coast already at 12:30.

After all the Road to Hana wasn't impressive, so I decided to have some fun. I advised V. to take a 3rd tablet. And so I tested in what time I was able to reach mile zero again, wondered how well the Hyundai Sante Fee was driving,

even with over 37,000 car miles on it.

After V. a few times was near to a heart attack, she decided to close her eyes and sleep. After 1 hours I reached again the beginning of the 'Road to Hana' at Mile Marker 0, which corresponds to an average of close to 30 mph - I was happy, had have my kind of fun.

Unfortunately, now heavy traffic started. Fortunately, we started off so early. The next stop took place at the Walmart Kahului, a place I usually avoid. But, V. wanted this for her car at home:

We continue to Whole Foods, bought biscuits and nuts. V. drove back to the hotel. Unfortunately on the 30 along the sea there was very heavy traffic and bad weather,

so we needed almost 1.5 hours for just over 25 miles.

After 9 hours of drive we were back in our room with a view of 'gray in gray'

and the knowledge: 'Road to Hana' and back is nothing special - with the exception of the BBQ chicken.

The evening went uneventfully, I finished my book, V. watched a Russian movie on the Internet. It's strange, while in Asia we are always looking forward for dinner, in the US we don't.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:18 pm

Cool trip report. I agree with you about the Road to Hana - I found it nothing special and basically a waste of a day.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

18. Day / 3rd winter trip

"Good morning gray!" was my first thought when I looked out of the window, drifting gray skies over the gray sea.

This weather didn't make our mood any better, one to the facts that we counted the days until we could leave this 'paradise'.

In good weather you would probably not mention many facts of the US mass tourism - but with this weather you just notice everything, and therefore is getting annoying. E.g. we appeared at 9 o'clock for breakfast and found in front of the registration desk assignments barrier tapes, similar to the once at Disney World. The queue A was long, minimum 20 waiting couples & families. Fortunately, the was an empty queue for SPG platinum members and we were immediately seated, but only in the bistro area, not with sea view. Anyway, this didn't matter to us!

The buffet was identical to yesterday, so we took a few fruits and cottage cheese.

V. requested for eggs. We pushed in the line of waiting guest and after a long wait ordered two eggs 'sunny side up' and an egg-white-omelette, both 'medium'. I looked at the eggs skeptically, but the verdict of V. was devastating (she's a real master in preparing eggs perfectly). Do you know when eggs are fried in too much oil for just too long? That when cutting it sounds like eating potato chips?

One thing which also annoyed me: while we smokers do not even get a smoking area on the hotel grounds, only behind a wall at the parking lot, alcoholics are already taken care of at breakfast:

This was placed on every table, which I found very irresponsible since also a lot of kids were staying at the hotel.

At 11 we were back on the road, this time heading north. The first stop was at 'Napili Beach', a small bay about 5 miles away. Although the beach is not great, but still better than the one at the WESTIN.

Next stop 'Honolua Bay' where we had a view to the south

and went straight on around the northern tip of Maui to the 'Nakalele Blowhole'.

Nice view down the southeast coast.

We planned to have a short hike to the Ohai Overlook

by the Loop Trail. But because of the weather the path was very muddy and slippery. After we had already seen another blowhole we decided not to go, especially after we saw two girls who were fallen in the mud, sitting an their backs. So we left the location, drove down the coast.

The road got very narrow and curvy.

Compared to this road, the 'Road to Hana' is a freeway! V. at the steering wheel, annoyed by the weather, in bad mood because of a cold - the other drivers, who she overtook constantly, could feel this. And so they always pushed quite fast to the right when V. appeared with the Santa Fee from behind. On the passenger side is now a dent on the floor where the brake pedal would be located.

But the landscape was great, in our eyes the most beautiful on Maui, similar to New Zealand.

I discovered a very special waterfall, on which a small water fountain shot upwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcdR...ature=youtu.be

But our trip was not only for 'sightseeing', it had a clear goal: the 'Geste Shrimp Truck' on Kahului Beach Road in Kahului.

The reviews were exorbitant, so we had chosen it for lunch. The menu was promising,

we ordered 'Hawaii Shrimp' (Butter Garlic) and 'Spicy Pineapple' at together US $ 26.

I took our food and we sat behind the truck on a concrete barrier where we arranged our meal.

Goodness, that was really delicious! My spicy pineapple version was so excellent, the shrimps not dry at all, full of delicious sauce and an incredible amount of garlic. Also the typical noodle salad has been a bit different, with real crab meat, mhhhhhh! Good food on Maui is possible, but a bit unconventional.

Back to our concrete bunker, where we arrived around 3pm.

After I had rested, I went to the gym for an hour, V. stayed in bed to get rid of her cold.

When I returned to the room I got surprised: instead of 'gray in gray' this view from the balcony offered:

For dinner we decided to drive to 'Fish Market Maui', according to TA opened until 21:00 - were looking forward for some nice and healthy fish. When we arrived we had to find out that the opening hours had changed, one closed at 19:00. So next door to 'Times Supermarket' - but at 20:30, similar to 'Foodland Farms' there were only remaining items available.

Quickly bought a few apples, drove to McDonalds, bought a double-quarter pounder at drive-in.

Another 2 days on Maui.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

19. Day / 3rd winter trip

Another rainy day - what a surprise.

So we went for breakfast around 9am. The queue was even longer as the day before.

Especially since approximately of the tables are placed in the uncovered area, so they could not to be used during rain.

Thanks to platinum status, the wait was limited to about 10 minutes and we got an almost dry table. About breakfast and 'coffee'- it was again exactly the same as the days before, no variations at all.

After we had read a book in the room, it at 13 o'clock we decided to drive in the pouring rain to the south of Maui.

TA praised 'Kinai Grill Food Truck' in Kihei, supposedly with the best food on the island, better than any restaurant around. Almost 30 miles each way for a food truck would usually be too much - but otherwise we would have been bored in the room.

After an hour drive we arrived, the weather became even worse. While V. was waiting inside the dry car I went to the food truck,

At least the order- and waiting area was party covered - but the strong wind didn't help.

I ordered 'Seared Ahi' with Wasabi Cream, Salad and Rice as well as 'Coconut Shrimps' with sweet-hot dip at US $ 29. After waiting for the food I went back to our car to eat.

The coconut shrimp

were okay, perfectly prepared, the sauce unfortunately not spicy enough - only five small shrimps at US $ 14.50? Yesterday there were 12 at US $ 13, with a better sauce and side.

I was amazed by the tuna, which, although I had said nothing, was wonderful, rare, the Wasabi cream beautifully sharp and tasteful.

After we had eaten everything, it drove back to the hotel in less than an hour. Conclusion: the food on the shrimp truck the day before was considerably better.

The late afternoon we spent both in the gym, V. on the treadmill, I did a workout.

In the evening we got hungry, drove to 'Star Noodles' south of the hotel. The restaurant was packed, had to enter our name in the wait-list. After 30 minutes of wait we got seats at the bar.

The menu was interesting, we opted for 3 appetizers, steamed Pork Belly Buns,

a small portion of Garlic-Noodles

as well as miso-salmon.

The food was very good, even not expensive. This restaurant I highly recommend.

In the pouring rain back to the hotel where we spent the rest of the evening reading.

Another full day Maui, then departure)))
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

20. Day / 3rd winter trip

Our last day on Maui started - a miracle - with only a few clouds!

The usual breakfast with the usual queue and usual food, we called it the 'plastic breakfast', far from any WESTIN standard in Europe or even Asia. No matter, fruits, cottage cheese - slowly we had enough of it.

Since it really looked like better weather, we decided to do the last point on our bucket list, 'Haleakala National Park' with its Magnetic Peak.

At 10:45 we sat in the Santa Fee with its really smooth 3.3 liter V6 and started route 30 down towards Kahului. A real problem of most resorts on Maui is, that one always has to drive for 20 miles, until one reaches the center of the island, from there you drive to all sightseeing spots. Every day this is more than 40 miles on the same monotonous and traffic-loaded road.

In addition, the gasoline on Maui is much more expensive than on the other islands. We fueled at the other islands at about US $ 2.79 per gallon, but on Maui the gas starts at US $ 3.44. Why here gasoline is 20% more expensive though the same taxes as on the other islands is a mystery to me.

Past industrial areas, which could also be in the Ukraine,

we arrived at route 377 in mountainous area, turned to 378 towards the national park, V. at the wheel wheel. From here it became very winding, serpentine after serpentine until we reached the entrance of the park at 7000 feet. Here you can either pay US $ 20 by credit card or show the previously bought Tri-Pass.

We continued up the mountain, one should not get motion-sickness too easily. V. had taken tablets, I usually have no problems.

While down the valley the weather was quite okay, we now came into the clouds, the view of Maui and its coast: zero.

First up to 'Haleakala Visitor Center'

at almost 10,000 feed, where we had at least a limited view.

It was cold and very windy - so we quickly moved back into the car and drove to the top at 3,055 meters. When we got out we were greeted by a strong, icy wind. Despite we were wearing jackets it was really cold. No idea how many US tourists felt with their shorts and flip-flops.

We walked up to the Summit Building to enjoy the view.

The thin air and the icy wind made us a 'hike' quickly to get another view.

And back we were, sitting in the car, our ears hurt due to the height. So as fast as possible down again.

With light hunger we drove for Kahului to Whole Foods. Since we had enough time, we checked out at the offered items, somewhat more precisely than other supermarkets, but of much better selection & quality!

We bought some stuff for a late lunch

(Also not cheaper than a restaurant visit - but healthier)

and sat down at the tables in front of the supermarket to eat. Okay, nothing to write home about.

To the car, refueled and back to the hotel where - no wonder - it rained again.

The rest of the evening we spent in the room, packed bags, etc.

To see Hawaii is a must-do, but we wouldn't put it top of the list of priorities because our interests are simply not compatible with this US state.

If you like hiking, you can enjoy 1'000 waterfalls - Hawaii may be interesting. We do not like hiking - and if we would like to go hiking, we would rather do so on the South Island of New Zealand. For us the distance to Hawaii and New Zealand is quite equal and for us, New Zealand has much more beautiful and varied landscape, better food, lower costs and more beautiful accommodations.

What attracted us especially negative, especially on Maui, were the mass tourists. We felt like we were in Orlando - just without Disney World. A mistake was the WESTIN on Maui, it seemed as if there were many package trip tourists.

If I would plan our Hawaii trip today, I would book again for 5 nights on Oahu, Honolulu is at least a big city. Then 3 days (instead of 2) on Kauai, again 5 days on Big Island and exactly ZERO days on Maui. If all the islands had their highlights, Maui had non.

The most beautiful beach? By far 'Barking Sands Beach' at the Polihale State Park on the west of Kauai.

The best food? Yes, there was some good food - but compared to Asia, Italy, France... there was nothing to mention.

What was the most beautiful island for us? Big Island, for sure. But only with JEEP.

It rarely happens to us - but we were glad when we left back home.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:08 am
Original Poster

21. Day / 3rd winter trip

The departure day greeted us with clouds, we had expected nothing else.

The day before, in evening, there a tidal wave warning for the west coast of Maui, and, because of a major landslide, the Route 30 was closed between the resorts and the airport. Many passengers had to missed their flights, there was simply no way to reach the airport.

Since heavy traffic and temporary road-closure was expected for the morning, we got up very early. After a training session in the gym, we arrived at 09:30 for breakfast and at 10:30 we were in the car, drove towards the airport.

The traffic went smoother than expected, only at the place of yesterdays landslide there was a delay of maximum 20 minutes due to cleanup and restoration of the electrical lines.

Near the airport we refueled the car again, then easily returned our rental at Advantage.

The shuttle took us back to the airport, left us at the terminal.

Through Agriculture Inspection, then moved to the check-in-counter.

Luckily it was empty, so no wait. The lady was friendly and efficient, took our bags and handed our boarding passes, seat 1A and 1B.

As there was no lounge or Wi-Fi at the airport, we decided to spend some waiting time outside.

Too late one should not go to security, because there was a long queue. Although 7 rows were open for x-ray of the hand luggage, it still took almost 30 minutes until we were done.

Upstairs towards Gate 27 of the completely outdated airport, where the 757-300 of United had already arrived.

Already 45 minutes before the official departure time the boarding started, as usual by zones. We got in as the last passengers of Zone 1, went forward to our seats. V. wasn't exactly excited, she had expected a first class as on SFO - HNL, not for the standard Continental First with its 2-2 recliners.

But it was not about the seat, no, it was more about the missing IFE, because this looked like this:

For me it wasn't a problem, I still had my own IFE.

So, still on ground, I downloaded to V's. iPhone the United APP, so that she was able to access the United movie selection during the flight.

As we took off, a last glance at the cloudy coast of Maui.

When we arrived at cruise altitude, V. started her personal IFE, unsuccessfully, hardly any connection. Smartphone switched off and on again, Result:

'Dinner' was already served at 3 pm. First an undefinable salad with tangerines, goat cheese and beetroots, completely impractical presented for a flight, tasteless at best.

(The bread roll was the best about it)

The main course selection consisted of chicken, beef (short ribs) and pasta. We chose Short-Ribs with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes

and the chicken dish.

While the short ribs were still quite edible, one could not claim this from the chicken, terrible! Anyway, the whole service at United ...

Also the lemon 'sorbet' simply a ball of frozen sugar water, had nothing to do with 'sorbet'.

Luckily I had a whole bag of nuts with chocolate crust.

We spent the flight reading or dozing, but seating at 1B this was difficult. Other passengers going to the bathroom gave a lot of disturbance. I noticed once again how many passengers go to the bathroom only wearing socks.

Just before landing, the obligatory, sugary biscuits

(still a nice treat) and we arrived at SFO airport in time.

Quite a distance to the luggage belt. We took our luggage and went up to the AirLink. Wow, it was cold!

At the rental car center to the right for AVIS, to the third floor, where the Preferred rental counter is located. I had booked a fullsize car, kindly asked for a German brand. Unfortunately they could not offer me a German made car, instead they wanted to give me a Volvo. If I can I try to avoid Volvos - so we were given an Infiniti QX 60.

Entered 'WESTIN Airport' in Google Maps - but the system simply could not locate us properly. Nevertheless, we managed to find the hotel.

Into the lobby,

to the front desk where we checked in and brought the car to the self parking (US $ 25).

Up to the room, well, for one night it's okay.

As it was quite early, we decided to drive into San Francisco by using 101 North.

We drove towards Russian Hill, down Lombard Street

direction Golden Gate Bridge. The bridge was, unfortunately, not particularly nicely illuminated, we thought it's more impressive in the night.

Back again towards the hotel, still had to find something small to eat for V..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.