FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter season '16/'17, several trips to Italy, Greece, Israel, Hawaii, Thailand.....
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:14 pm
ChristianKiev

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
16. Day / 3rd winter trip

Today it was time to leave Big Island, anyway had seen everything we wanted to see.

In the morning we packed the bags, thrown them into the car and drove to Hilo International Airport.

The 'almost' clean car we returned at AVIS returned and walked the 50 meters to check-in of Hawaiian Airlines. After a short wait we were given a self-check-in machine.

Flight number & last name entered: No Match! so I started my notebook, searched for the confirmation code. Again everything entered: No Match!

I checked at the flight booking in detail and got a shock! Instead of the flight to Maui at 11:36 I had accidentally booked the flight at 08:00 - and not even notice this. First time this happened to me.

I informed the friendly lady of Hawaiian, which then sent me to a check-in-counter. I thought I had to buy two new tickets - but the lady booked us for the 11:36 flight, free of charge.

I paid US $ 85 for 3 pieces of luggage and received the boarding passes.

Through security into the departure hall.

The flight was called and we went to gate 7, where we got another boarding pass for 11 C/D. Into the plane

to our seats.

The flight was uneventful, there was water or juice again. We realized that we had been really lucky to have been changed for this flight, because inclusive of us the load had been exactly 100%.

After 30 minutes we landed on Maui, went through the terminal to the baggage claim.

At Starbucks V. got herself a 'coffee', as far as can really call this brown water 'coffee'.

When we left the terminal we had to wait for the shuttle of the rental car company. I had booked again with 'Advantage', the price was, despite the additional driver's fee at US $ 65, unbeatable. A standard SUV (Hyundai Santa Fee AWD) I had booked at just US $ 165 for 5 days.

The rental process took quite long, because the staff wanted to convince me of full insurance protection and fuel option - unsuccessfully. The car wasn't exactly in the best condition, lots of dents and scratches.

We were hungry, I had found using TA a highly recommended restaurant, 'Da Kitchen',

directly opposite the office of Advantage.

In front of 'Da Kitchen' we already saw a larger quantity of people waiting for a table, and therefore we also had to enter our name into a list. But already 10 minutes later I received a text that our table would be available.

We studied he menu and ordered. For V. 'Garlic Chicken' with rice,

for me Ahi poke with rice on Nori.

Both was fine - but not overwhelming, at US $ 44 including taxes and tip not too expensive.

The navigation system told 45 minutes to the hotel, the WESTIN Maui Resort.

What a a terrible concrete bunker! If I would have had booked at the full price, I would have been annoyed. But thanks to BRG the price for this hotel was okay.

We gave the car to the valet guy (Valet Parking for Platinum members free of charge) and went into the lobby, overlooking a waterfall and flamingos.

The check-in process was very slow, the lady had problems finding my booking. But somehow it worked out, they gave us an upgrade to a room with ocean view on the 10th floor.

The room was fine, for US-conditions modern,

with a nice view towards the resort pool area (with water slide) and ocean.

What I do not understand on Hawaii is that it's even forbidden to smoke on the balcony.

Luggage unpacked and to the gym.

Many treadmills, cross-trainer and bicycles - but little training machines. I did my workout for 1 ½ hours, then recovered in the excellent WESTIN-Heavenly-Bed.

In the evening we got hungry, decided to drive to the nearby Times-Supermarket.

Of course, we were again buying too much.

So this day ended with a dinner in bed (sushi, poke with rice) while watching TV.