FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter season '16/'17, several trips to Italy, Greece, Israel, Hawaii, Thailand.....
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:37 pm
ChristianKiev

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
15. Day / 3rd winter trip

Since it was a less stressful day with only two program points, we slept a bit longer and left our accommodation only shortly before 11.

We entered 'Kalpana' in the navigation system, the starting point for the lava walk, and were surprised this is a full hour drive from Volcano.

On the way we passed a McDonalds, got Oatmeal with fruits as a late breakfast.

At the end of the 130 there's a parking lot with many vendors for drinks & snacks as well as numerous bicycle rental spots. I drove to the very end and made asked for information and prices.

The guy at the bike rental company was very nice, told me that he would like to rent out two bicycles immediately, but that this would not be in our interest, that we should return at 16:30, so we are at the hotspot by 5 pm.

So back on the road, this time along the 137.

137 is very impressive, with great vegetation

and breathtaking beaches.

The bicycle-guy even pointed out to us that there was a nudist beach where 'Magic Mushrooms' and other things were on offer.

Somehow we came back to route 130, searched for a car wash. As it turned out, car wash facilities on Hawaii are rare. So we drove up to Hilo, began our search and finally found one.

US $ 10 paid and waited 30 minutes in queue.

When it was finally our turn, standing in front of the car wash entry, I could read a sign, 'no driveway with spare tire at the tailgate'. Super, that's exactly what our JEEP had. The owner of the car wash pointed out that the third brake light on top of the spare wheel holder would cause problems, the washing system would often just stop - but we could try.

So we pushed inside and tried. It worked out without problems, just the car wasn't very clean afterwards. I hoped it is clean enough to have to pay the penalty to the car rental company.

Now it was almost 4 o'clock, time to return to the bicycle rental spot.

There we paid US $ 40 and gave a driving license for security purpose. We could choose two bikes, got two headlights and water.

If you do not want to spend US $ 20 / bike can also walk, 2 hours there and 2 hours back in the dark - in our eyes quite stupid.

We cycled on the gravel road for 4 miles

until we reached the 'Lava View Area'.

Bicycles parked and asked a ranger if one would see 'surface lava'. Unfortunately, this was denied, because the lava currently flows through a lava tube to the ocean. So we went along the barrier, down to the ocean, to get a glimpse at daylight.

Of course there was already a lot going on, especially the hobby photographers with telephoto and tripod had secured the best places. So we stood and saw the lava flow from far, far away.

Unfortunately too far away from the happening, one needed good imagination so see something.

We were looking for a place, sat down, waited for the darkness, in hope to be able to see more.

A few boats drove right in front of the flowing Lava, I had thought about this possibility before. However, in all reviews, the ride was described as very bumpy, many passengers got sick on the way. I did not want to do risk, the helicopter flight was enough for V.

When the darkness set in, we suddenly saw people far behind the barrier, very close to the action. So we took moved, too, crossed the barrier and also went very close to where the lava has flown into the ocean.

From this spot we had a phenomenal view of the action.

We sat down and were amazed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M83-...ature=youtu.be

Just before 7 it got really dark, we switched on our headlamps, hiked back to the bicycles, drove back to the car. The only real risk were the pedestrians without any lamp, who we had to pass all the time. Walking in the complete darkness can not be fun.

Now we were hungry! However, Volcano and surrounding area is not a paradise for good food, the reviews in TA are rather mediocre to bad. Since we did not want to spend an hour in a restaurant for bad food, we just stopped at Burger King in Pahoa.

The Whopper is always a treat, this time with Teriyaki sauce for V., Bacon & Cheese for me - onion rings as a side, a Grilled Chili Dog to test.

Back to the hotel, V. almost fell asleep.