FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter season '16/'17, several trips to Italy, Greece, Israel, Hawaii, Thailand.....
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:41 pm
ChristianKiev

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
18. Day / 3rd winter trip

"Good morning gray!" was my first thought when I looked out of the window, drifting gray skies over the gray sea.

This weather didn't make our mood any better, one to the facts that we counted the days until we could leave this 'paradise'.

In good weather you would probably not mention many facts of the US mass tourism - but with this weather you just notice everything, and therefore is getting annoying. E.g. we appeared at 9 o'clock for breakfast and found in front of the registration desk assignments barrier tapes, similar to the once at Disney World. The queue A was long, minimum 20 waiting couples & families. Fortunately, the was an empty queue for SPG platinum members and we were immediately seated, but only in the bistro area, not with sea view. Anyway, this didn't matter to us!

The buffet was identical to yesterday, so we took a few fruits and cottage cheese.

V. requested for eggs. We pushed in the line of waiting guest and after a long wait ordered two eggs 'sunny side up' and an egg-white-omelette, both 'medium'. I looked at the eggs skeptically, but the verdict of V. was devastating (she's a real master in preparing eggs perfectly). Do you know when eggs are fried in too much oil for just too long? That when cutting it sounds like eating potato chips?

One thing which also annoyed me: while we smokers do not even get a smoking area on the hotel grounds, only behind a wall at the parking lot, alcoholics are already taken care of at breakfast:

This was placed on every table, which I found very irresponsible since also a lot of kids were staying at the hotel.

At 11 we were back on the road, this time heading north. The first stop was at 'Napili Beach', a small bay about 5 miles away. Although the beach is not great, but still better than the one at the WESTIN.

Next stop 'Honolua Bay' where we had a view to the south

and went straight on around the northern tip of Maui to the 'Nakalele Blowhole'.

Nice view down the southeast coast.

We planned to have a short hike to the Ohai Overlook

by the Loop Trail. But because of the weather the path was very muddy and slippery. After we had already seen another blowhole we decided not to go, especially after we saw two girls who were fallen in the mud, sitting an their backs. So we left the location, drove down the coast.

The road got very narrow and curvy.

Compared to this road, the 'Road to Hana' is a freeway! V. at the steering wheel, annoyed by the weather, in bad mood because of a cold - the other drivers, who she overtook constantly, could feel this. And so they always pushed quite fast to the right when V. appeared with the Santa Fee from behind. On the passenger side is now a dent on the floor where the brake pedal would be located.

But the landscape was great, in our eyes the most beautiful on Maui, similar to New Zealand.

I discovered a very special waterfall, on which a small water fountain shot upwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcdR...ature=youtu.be

But our trip was not only for 'sightseeing', it had a clear goal: the 'Geste Shrimp Truck' on Kahului Beach Road in Kahului.

The reviews were exorbitant, so we had chosen it for lunch. The menu was promising,

we ordered 'Hawaii Shrimp' (Butter Garlic) and 'Spicy Pineapple' at together US $ 26.

I took our food and we sat behind the truck on a concrete barrier where we arranged our meal.

Goodness, that was really delicious! My spicy pineapple version was so excellent, the shrimps not dry at all, full of delicious sauce and an incredible amount of garlic. Also the typical noodle salad has been a bit different, with real crab meat, mhhhhhh! Good food on Maui is possible, but a bit unconventional.

Back to our concrete bunker, where we arrived around 3pm.

After I had rested, I went to the gym for an hour, V. stayed in bed to get rid of her cold.

When I returned to the room I got surprised: instead of 'gray in gray' this view from the balcony offered:

For dinner we decided to drive to 'Fish Market Maui', according to TA opened until 21:00 - were looking forward for some nice and healthy fish. When we arrived we had to find out that the opening hours had changed, one closed at 19:00. So next door to 'Times Supermarket' - but at 20:30, similar to 'Foodland Farms' there were only remaining items available.

Quickly bought a few apples, drove to McDonalds, bought a double-quarter pounder at drive-in.

Another 2 days on Maui.