Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My First First! - BA First Class, Sydney to UK Return (& Paris, Ireland, Bangkok)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First First! - BA First Class, Sydney to UK Return (& Paris, Ireland, Bangkok)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ellielovesem
Heading out for new year so a bit of a wait but I'm already looking forward to the flat bed experience again, QF A380 on three of the sectors due to reward availability, BA777 on the other so no UD seat
Looking forward to the trip report, you'll have a great time. Try to select a seat in the forward J cabin on the A380 as it's a bit quieter.

Originally Posted by kered
While I really like what they have done with the place during refurb job, I do somewhat miss the decor that I would remember from when I was there on family holidays as a kid, many (many) years ago.
I can understand that, as you have memories there. I suppose that the large breakfast room is still decorated in the old way, as it was very different from the rest of the public areas in the hotel.

Originally Posted by robofski
Really enjoying reading this TR, hope you have another trip planned somewhere soon, think I'll actually miss not reading your travel tales when you finally finish this one!
We don't get enough holiday here in Australia! I'd like to go back to India and was also thinking of a long weekend in New Zealand, but nothing is arranged yet.

Originally Posted by Moomba
Nice updates Matt. I take it you didn't have any problems with the brolly at security?
How big was it and did it have a steel tip?
Nope, it was fine, although, as I was in a rush, I ended up leaving it in my mate's car when I got to the airport for my return flight to the UK. It was only a 6 quid job from Tesco, so not really the end of the world. It was a golf umbrella, with a steel tip. Overall length probably just over a metre maybe? Might be worth checking to see if the tip will unscrew?

Originally Posted by BDAgirl
....I totally agree with you regarding the BKK F lounge. Unfortunately for me I was there just as Airlines were resuming their flights after the volcano eruption and the lounge was like a disaster area, not one spare seat, queues for the toilets which were in a disgusting state too

....Then BA dropped that route and i had to fly FR for a while. Thankfully EI have come to my rescue and i've been pleasantly surprised by flights with them.....
Thanks BDAgirl. Yes, I was more than a little disappointed by the BKK F lounge, and in fact the SIN F lounge too when I was there in January. I suppose that they are designed to be 'pass through' lounges so they don't have the same facilities as other lounges.

Glad to hear that you were able to avoid FR. I can't stand them anymore. I refuse to give that man even one penny of my hard earned cash.

Originally Posted by halfcape
Wonderful photos, I can see why the bride & groom wanted you to take photos. Looking forward to more!
Thank you! I wish that I could post the portraits that I did, but for privacy reasons, I unfortunately can't.

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Same here. Hard to believe that they haven't been made with a full frame camera. Excellent work.
Thanks henky. My D300 is about 3 years old now. I've been considering getting something newer, since it doesn't have very good low light performance.

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
The 747 is going to the breakers at some point in the future, I read somewhere.
Nooooo! Where will they film the next series of 'Come Fly With Me' if that happens?

Originally Posted by Genius1
Beautiful photos from Ireland, matthandy ^ The hotel looks fantastic.
Thanks Genius1, it is. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Originally Posted by luxury
Interesting to read comments re: London vs. Paris as I thought the exact same thing but in reverse. I actually think London is over-rated and Paris is simply divine. That being said, I lived in London for 3 years so the city has meaning to me but I just didn't get what was so special about it.
luxury, how dare you!

I suppose that living there does take the shine off. I think that Paris, more than London, is a place where visitors would really benefit from being shown around by a local. I loved the architecture, but I just find London to be more friendly and the transport is by far easier to use, cleaner and more modern.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Cork to London Heathrow on Aer Lingus

The evening was spent at the bride’s sister’s house, where we had a fantastic barbeque and ended the evening at about 4am! I was shattered, but also knew that I’d have to get up relatively early (9 ish) to ensure that I was at the airport in time for my 11.45am flight to Heathrow.

I was staying at the bride’s brother’s house and I woke up to the sounds of breakfast being prepared, one of my favourite noises

With the flight schedule, I had to make sure that I handed my bag in at the airport before 10.45am, as this was the cut off specified by the airline.

Things were running a little late and we didn’t leave the house until about 25 minutes before the cut off time, with a 20 minute ride to the airport. I was getting a little nervous. I really couldn’t miss this flight.

We made it to the airport at 10.40 and I grabbed my bag (ended up forgetting my umbrella), said good bye and then sprinted into the terminal to find check in. It was quite busy, and there was a bit of a queue. I wasn’t sure what I could do, but then I noticed the bag drop. I’d checked in online the day before.

There was only one person in front, so I made it to the desk in time. As it happens, I needn’t have bothered, because the flight is delayed by about one and a quarter hours anyway. I checked in my bag and then phoned my friend in the UK as well as the taxi company, to tell them that I’d be arriving later than planned.

I went upstairs to go through security, which was very quick. I was then out into the departure area, which is rather small, but very open and airy.

Check in desks

Departure area

Gate area

I settled down near to the gate, and got out my iPad. I was surprised to find that free WiFi was available, and that was actually pretty fast. I spent a bit of time working on this report, mainly uploading photos to my FTP server.

With the way the building is, it is possible to see arriving and departing aircraft, and with my zoom lens I was able to capture a couple of good shots, including my aircraft arriving at about 12.00, 15 minutes past our originally scheduled departure time.

EI A320 taxiing for take off

My plane arriving – EI-CVD

Cork to London Heathrow Terminal 1 with Aer Lingus

Flight: EI712
Carrier: Aer Lingus
Aircraft: Airbus A320 – EI-CVD
Scheduled Departure time: 11.45 (Delayed to 12.50)
Duration: 1h 20m
Scheduled Arrival time: 13.05 (Actual 14.00)
Class: Economy (single class aircraft)
Seat: 11A (seat plan)

As the aircraft pulled up to the gate (3), an announcement was made to say that we would board at 12.30 for a 12.50 departure.

I spent my time in the same spot really, making use of the internet while I had it. I didn’t get a chance to look around, but I probably should have done.

At about 12.20 people started to gather around the gate area, even though there was a little while to go until boarding, the domino effect of more and more people heading to the gate eventually persuaded me to do the same.

There were signs indicating where the queue would start for boarding, so I went and stood near to it. From this vantage point, it was possible to see the old terminal. It looks like they have built a covered walkway, presumably to make use of the stands there, since the new and old building are located reasonably close to each other. I suspect that it would still be a bit of a trek though.

People waiting at the gate

The old terminal – fond memories here

Boarding was actually announced slightly early. I don’t think that the flight was very full, as it was not done by row. After having my BP checked and being asked to use the front stairs, I made my way along the air bridge, and then down the stairs to the tarmac.

It was a beautiful day in Cork, shame that I was leaving. I hoped that the weather in London and Kent would be as nice. I made my way towards the aircraft and up the front stairs as instructed. I was welcomed onboard and then made my way to my seat, 11A. By 12.30, I was onboard.

About to board

Boarding

The aircraft was obviously a bit older than the one on the outbound, however, the leather seats were still there. I dumped my stuff down and then put my bag into the overhead locker. As it turns out, I’d managed to pick one of the worst seats in the house, since, with the emergency exit behind, it doesn’t recline. I suppose that this might be annoying for longer flights, but on this short hop to London, it wasn’t an issue.

Leather seats

View from my window

Having failed miserably to take any decent photos on the flight out due to using my crappy iPhone 4 camera, I made sure that I had my proper camera at my seat.

I was soon joined by a very happy chappy, who was very talkative, asking me all sorts of questions. He was just being friendly, but was slightly annoying at the same time.

The doors closed at 12.45 and the Captain came over the public address system to explain the delay to the flight. This was due to the originally scheduled aircraft going tech in London and this one had to be flown in from somewhere else. I think that we were lucky, as the Paris flight that was due to leave close to this one got cancelled.

We pushed back at 12.50 and a manual safety demo was given. This was done all too fast, and it was difficult to understand. I suspect that anyone who’s first language was not English would have really struggled.

After a very short taxi, we took off to the South East and were soon on our way to Heathrow.

Off we go…..

The crew started the service, but I wasn’t really interested in buying anything on this flight. Besides, I wanted to avoid as much interaction with the man next to me as possible otherwise I’d have had my ears burnt off for the full 1 hour of flying time .

We started our descent about 40 minutes into the flight and had to circle around a bit before landing. This was great though, as the skies were perfectly clear. We passed over Wimbledon before making our final circle with the airport the west of us, we landed on the northern runway, passing Concorde, who had turned around to face the opposite direction since I saw her at the start of the week.

LHR – T5, B and C, T3, T1 and T4

Concorde – G-BOAB – Now she’s facing the other way?

We landed at 13.55 and made our way towards our stand at Terminal 1. I’ve never actually been to Terminal 1, ever, so I got to experience something new on my third landing at Heathrow in 6 days.

As we arrived on our stand, next to another couple of Aer Lingus aircraft, the crew announced that transfer passengers were to remain on the aircraft for the transfer bus that would arrive shortly at the back of the aircraft. That seemed a bit weird to me. I’d say that a good majority of the passengers stayed onboard, whilst myself and the other terminating passengers made our way into the tubes which make up T1.

EI Brothers and Sisters

We made our way towards baggage claim, which was set up especially for arrivals from Ireland. Although I was off the aircraft at 2pm, by 2.20pm, the belt for our flight hadn’t even been announced yet. People were starting to get pretty impatient, more delays.

I eventually got my bag at 2.30pm, and luckily it was one of the first out.

Grumpy people, including me

I made my way out of the baggage hall and out into arrivals where my driver was waiting for me. He was in a pretty bad mood and started asking me why I was so late. Bloody cheek. I didn’t react, feeling it was better to take a sympathetic tone and blame the airline. Even so, this is not the way to treat a paying customer. It got worse as we made our way to the car, a silver Mercedes E-Class. Someone had left a trolley in the space next to his car and he kicked it violently out the way, where it smashed into the crash barrier. What the hell?

Once we were out of the terminal and onto the M25 he seemed to calm down a bit, as we started talking about Australia as it turns out that his daughter lives out there.
We had a pretty smooth journey to the pub where I had arranged to meet my friends and I arrived, in tact, at 3.45pm, which wasn’t too bad at all.

Grumpy man

Verdict

Despite the delay, it was a pretty good flight. I was sad to be leaving Cork, not knowing when or if I would return. Everyone in my friend’s family was now married, and I really couldn’t see an occasion where I’d have enough reason to travel back there .

The flight itself was fine, and I didn’t really mind the delay, since Cork airport is a pretty pleasant place to while away a couple of hours, especially with the free WiFi and views over the runway.

The delay to the bags in London was rather annoying, since no reason was given. I’ve always thought that if passengers can make it to the baggage belt in a reasonable time, I can’t understand why the bags can’t. Anyway, not the end of the world.

My overall experience with Aer Lingus was absolutely positive. My expectations of this being a more expensive Ryanair were totally unfair. Aer Lingus is a great airline, with great crew and comfortable aircraft. I’d have no problem with booking them again.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Just to say that I've been reading through your TR and it's absolutely fantastic!! Great effort.

I also read your trip to India, and again thought it was great.

So, thanks for sharing and I'm glad everything went to plan. As for Mr Grumpy car driver, I don't think I'd have been so calm -bloody cheek!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Awesome trip report, Matt! I usually wait until the end of a report to comment but this is already one of the most impressive collections of text and photos that I’ve seen here at FlyerTalk and I felt compelled to comment now. The Europe Hotel looks like a place I could happily spend a week. I’ll start saving now. BTW, they might like to use your pictures in their promotional publications. Excellent photography! Thank you for the considerable time and effort that you’ve put into making this a Trip Report Classic! Well done!! ^^
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by matthandy
As we arrived on our stand, next to another couple of Aer Lingus aircraft, the crew announced that transfer passengers were to remain on the aircraft for the transfer bus that would arrive shortly at the back of the aircraft. That seemed a bit weird to me.
My understanding of this rather strange bus arrangement, is that due the construction work building Heathrow East & the demolishing of T2, that there's an issue accessing the FCC from T1. So there's a temporary arrangement in place to meet the flights with a bus to transfer pax with onward connections, directly to the FCC.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:18 pm

Really enjoying this TR. Absolutely beautiful photos! Thank you!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Thanks for your trips reports, I cant wait to fly again! Did you complain to the taxi company about your driver?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: BA
Still loving every update
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Nice update on the flight back to LHR.

I had a very talkative lady sitting next to me coming back from a European city in CE earlier this year. She didn't stop talking for the entire duration of the flight, but she was very interesting to listen to.

What's up next - back to Australia in F?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: QF WP; HHonours
war cabinet area

Matt,
As others have said, fantastic tr. I too went to the war cabinet rooms one trip and found it almost a spiritual experience without sounding corny. Seeing the rooms set up as they were with life size dummys dressed in the era and going about the business they did at the time made the viewing very 'real'.

Look forward to rest of your tr.
cheers
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Just to say that I've been reading through your TR and it's absolutely fantastic!! Great effort.
Thanks IAMORGAN; it's nice to hear from a BA regular!

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I usually wait until the end of a report to comment but this is already one of the most impressive collections of text and photos that I’ve seen here at FlyerTalk and I felt compelled to comment now.
Thanks Seat 2A! But, I'd say that it is you that sets the standard. Glad that you enjoyed it, more to come.

Originally Posted by kered
So there's a temporary arrangement in place to meet the flights with a bus to transfer pax with onward connections, directly to the FCC.
Thanks for the info kered. It seemed very odd to me indeed.

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Did you complain to the taxi company about your driver?
I should of, but no. They are the company that I used to use when I lived in New York and was flying back and forth regularly. Never had a problem, so it was a bit odd.

Originally Posted by malkie
Still loving every update
Thanks malkie, there's two flights left to come but I'm struggling to find the time at the moment, and I still have to do all of the wedding photos too .

Originally Posted by Genius1
I had a very talkative lady sitting next to me coming back from a European city in CE earlier this year. She didn't stop talking for the entire duration of the flight, but she was very interesting to listen to.

What's up next - back to Australia in F?
Haha, at least your seat mate was interesting. Mine was just nosey.

Originally Posted by parsonstrish
I too went to the war cabinet rooms one trip and found it almost a spiritual experience without sounding corny.
I have to agree, I found it quite moving in a 'British' way, definitely recommended. I just wish that I'd had more time there.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:08 am
Original Poster

A Couple of Days in Kent

We are almost there…

I’d arranged with my friends to meet them at a pub that we all used to regularly visit in Kent. I was meeting up with families, and the pub had a great garden for kids, so it was perfect.

I arrived just about on time and found that most people were already in the garden. The mate that I was due to be staying with that night was running late. He arrived about an hour later, with a surprise guest, a lady whom was part of our group when we all lived in the same apartment complex.

It was great to see everyone again; we spent the next few hours chatting away while the kids got all excited about the slide and swings. It was a lovely, hot, sunny afternoon, just as the summer should be.

In the evening, a few of us, my closest friends, went out for dinner, again to a local pub/restaurant that we’d visited loads of times. It was a great meal and fantastic company. It made me realise (as if I needed the reminder), how much that I miss my friends in the UK, and how much I enjoy simple evenings such as this.

The meal was over all too soon and I said my goodbyes and then headed back with my friend and his girlfriend, where I would stay the night.

It was all so normal, that we didn’t really do anything special in evening, except watch Glastonbury on the TV. Beyonce was actually amazing (I never thought that I would say that!).

I slept very well and woke up at a reasonable time. My friend’s girlfriend had to go to work, so that left myself and my friend to amuse ourselves for the day, before having to head to Heathrow in the evening for my flight to Bangkok.

As I’ve said before, everything was so normal that we didn’t really plan out anything fancy. We ended up going to a posh garden centre (there is such a thing) for breakfast in their café. I always seem to clock up a good number of English breakfasts when I travel back home and this trip was no exception.

As we were talking, I realised that I had forgotten to check in online. So I fired up BA.com on my phone and started checking in. To my utter surprise and joy, the seat map for the First Class cabin on BA9 for the evening was in fact showing all the signs of being New First. The cot position was at 5F and the galley and exits were clearly marked. I was pretty chuffed, but tried not to get too excited, in cases the signs were wrong, or there was an equipment swap. To be fair, my friend couldn’t really understand.

After a bit of discussion about where to go, given that I wanted to stock up on a few things from the UK we decided to head to Canterbury, as there were loads of shops there. I tried to be as quick as I could, given that my friend really didn’t want to spend the entire day shopping, and neither did I. So I spent about 30 minutes in Next stocking up on the essentials, and getting excited over how cheap everything was, with the Aussie dollar being so strong. Then it was to Boots to pick up some toiletries that I can’t get in Australia (you can’t seem to get stick deodorant here). The lady behind the counter must have thought that I had some kind of problem….

After that we headed to the coast, to Whitstable, for a wander. I hadn’t been there before, and I was surprised to learn that there was quite an industry for oysters and other shell fish.

Oyster shells

We wandered around and then spotted an ice cream fan. Well, as I was beside the sea side, I had to have a 99. I had long learned that the cheap cones that often come with a 99 are to be avoided, so I chose a waffle cone instead, not quite as it should be I know.

My 99, with a flake

The ice cream was good, and with a bit more wandering, we found a café and sat down for a drink. My friend was in a dilemma, as he wasn't sure whether to accept a job offer or stay with his existing company. I was able to offer some advice, and it was great just talking about normal things.

Soon it was time to head off, so we went back to my friend’s house, collected my suitcase and his girlfriend and were on our way to Heathrow.

Verdict

My time in the UK, overall, was way too short. Coming back in summer reminded me of all the things that I love about the UK, the late summer nights, the unspoilt countryside, the country pubs, and great friends. It was going to be difficult to step back on that plane again.....
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:28 pm

I am not one to wander away from "home" and can only imagine how you must feel.

Hopefully you will feel at home when you arrive back at your new home.

Safe travels.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:46 am
Original Poster

London Heathrow to Bangkok - British Airways First Class Lounge Terminal 3

I’m not ashamed to say that these days I get a little nervous when I fly. I don’t know why, I’m not scared of flying. I suspect that it was something to do with having to leave the UK again on this occasion. This feeling does put me into a certain kind of mood, a determined kind of mood and as such I declined all offers to go and get something to eat with my friend’s close to the airport before heading to Terminal 3. They might have thought me rude, but at the time, I was in the ‘zone’ and just wanted to get checked in and into the lounge. This is not because I value time in the lounge more than time with my friends however; I can’t explain it properly.

Anyway, we had set off from Kent at 16.45, leaving loads of time to get to the airport. I had already checked in online to secure my seat, 2K, in what was expected to be New First on the flight.

We made reasonable time, and arrived at about 18.20, outside Terminal 3. The drop off area is always busy. I don’t think I have ever seen it quiet.

T3 Departures

After saying good bye (how many good byes have I done on this trip?) I made my way into the terminal building. I wasn’t sure exactly where the BA check in area was but looking at the screens I was directed to zone G. As it turns out, and I suppose, not surprisingly, BA and Qantas share check in, so this is exactly where I had come to check in for the return flight of my trip in January.

The First Class check in desks are located behind a partition and after walking through I found four check in desks, with a few of them busy. I headed over to the nearest desk to find two agents chatting to each other. I retrieved my documents and upon presenting my passport was told that this was a Qantas desk and I’d have to wait by one of the BA desks. This annoyed me a bit as it’s not very signed and the agent could have asked me what flight I was on before I got all my stuff out. Maybe I was just being a grumpy sod.

BA/QF First Class Check In

There was a man busy at the open BA check in desk so I had to wait a few minutes. As I went through the process of checking in, the lady was a bit confused and asked me for my Thailand visa, to which I said that I didn’t have one. I realised that the flight on this booking terminated in Bangkok. I explained that I had a flight on another PNR which would take me back to Sydney. That seemed to resolve the issue.

She took my bag and tagged it with a priority tag, which now has a new ‘Oneworld’ design and then asked if I knew where the lounge was, which I did. I thanked her and made my way upstairs to security, noticing that the Qantas crew were checking in adjacent to the First desks.

Fast track security was actually reasonably fast, with a minimal queue. However the man in front of me obviously hadn’t watched the ‘prepare for security’ video as he was literally emptying out every pocket of his trousers, jumper and jacket into the trays. I skipped him, as he was taking too long and then collected my bag and made my way to the lounge.

It’s always fun going through the blue doors into the BA lounge complex at T3. I headed straight for the Elemis spa, hoping to secure an appointment. I was lucky, and was able arrange a massage for 19.40. I then turned left to the first class lounge. My boarding pass was checked and the gentleman asked if I would like an invite for the pre-flight dining, to which I said yes. He told me that the service started at 7pm.

With my dining invite in hand, I made my way into the lounge. It was about 18.40 at this point.

I’d never actually been into the First Class lounge at Terminal 3 before, and I didn’t really know what to expect. To me, it looked very similar to the Business Class lounge, but the layout was more confused.

Essentially, the lounge is divided into two main sections. The left most section has the ‘gold bar’, seating and work area with computers. The toilets are located here too. The right most area has the food bar, coffee bar and pre-flight dining room. Between the sections is the Champagne bar, entrance and newspaper/magazine stand.

Left section, gold bar and seating area

The Champagne Bar

Accompanying food

The right section, coffee bar and seating area

My overall impression was that it was styled very much like the business class lounge, even the furniture was the same in some cases. I didn’t care for the layout, preferring the more open arrangement of the business class lounge. I did however, like the Champagne bar .

After taking a few snaps and familiarising myself with the lounge, I sat down in the left section of the lounge, got all of my stuff out and then went to the Champagne bar in search of some of the fantastic Gosset Rose that I’d had in the Concorde Room the week before.

On offer that evening were two rose wines and one white, these were:

- Balfour Hush Heath Estate Brut Rose 2007 (An English sparkling wine)
- Bruno Palliard Premiere Cuvee Brut Rose
- Clos du Moulin Premier Cru Brut

I was disappointed not to see the Gosset, so went with the Bruno Palliard instead. It was nice, but not as nice as the Gosset.

I returned to my seat, to survey my surroundings. On the table was a menu. Passengers were able to order a selection of dishes from the menu, by flagging down one of the waitresses. I guess that you could call it, in seat dining.

Champagne and the dining menu

Here is the aviation themed menu:

Rest of the Day – Noon to Close

Please Help Yourself

For your convenience, there is a self-service buffet available serving a selection of fresh salads, hot dishes and indulgent treats.

Brought To Your Table – Please order via one of our lounge hosts

Check In
Summer seasonal soup with fresh baked artisan bread – Changes daily, please ask your lounge host for details

Secretts Farm asparagus with roasted golden beetroot, pine nuts and baby leaf salad.
Secretts Farm is set in the heart of the Surrey countryside and specialises in tender, seasonal market produce, served to you within 24 hours of harvesting, giving unparalleled freshness and flavour..

Treat yourself
To a glass of Champagne of Bucks Fizz available at the bar

Runway
Max Tomlinson’s summer salad – Sensational daily selection of Secretts Farm market produce combined with your choice of either grilled breast of chicken or peppered smoked mackerel
Max Tomlinson, ‘the Nature Doctor’, is a fully qualified, naturopath, nutritionist, homeopath and medical herbalist..

Traditional British bloomer sandwich – mature Cheddar, British honey-roasted ham and Branston pickle

Organic penne pasta – Sun-blushed tomato sauce, rocket and Parmesan

From the Grill
The British Airways burger – Prime aged Angus beef, Lincolnshire Poacher Cheddar, tomato and red pepper relish with spicy potato wedges

Classic sausage and mash – Laverstoke Park Farm organic pork and leek sausages, creamy mash and rich onion gravy
These organic sausages from Laverstoke Park Farm in Hampshire, have a clean taste and a deep, fragrant aroma.

Destination
Eton mess

Chocolate fondant

Summer pudding
All served with either vanilla ice cream, or Devonshire clotted cream

Seasonal fruit platter

Neal’s Yard cheese plate
Neal’s Yard, based in London’s famous Borough Market, is our experienced cheesemongers who source farm cheeses from the British Isles.

Salad bar and hot dishes

Cold drinks

The menu sounded pretty good although I’d be taking advantage of the pre-flight dining. If I’m ever back in the lounge, but not flying First, I’d like to try the food.

7pm came along and made my way to the pre-flight dining area. A group of chaps were waiting at the entrance too and the waitress escorted them to a table. After coming back, she showed me to a table, a window seat facing the runway.

I was a bit disappointed with the overall feel of the dining room. Whilst it was well decorated, it felt a bit enclosed. That is my general feeling of almost all of the lounge areas in the British Airways lounges in Terminal 3.

The pre-flight dining area is laid out very similarly to the dining area in the Concorde room, with similar furniture and place settings. Along the windows are a number of single tables, with group tables placed further back. The room is dual aspect, with a view of the gate area and runway.

Single tables

Table settings

As I sat down, the waitress came over to offer me the menu and take a drinks order. I’d noticed a bottle of the Gosset Rose on the way in, so I ordered a glass of that. I’m not sure whether she understood, but she nodded and went off anyway.

There only seemed to be one waitress as she was kept reasonably busy as more people were being lead to their seats. I think that this affected the service, as during my sitting, I had to ask for a few things that I should have been offered as standard, such as water and bread.

Here is the pre-flight dining menu:

Menu

Starters

Char-grilled English asparagus with poached organic hen’s egg, black olive and pickled shallot dressing and shaved Parmesan

Roast heritage tomato soup with whipped Ricotta, tomato salad and basil toast

Scottish smoked mackerel with shaved fennel, radish and citrus salad

Main

Roast breast of chicken with sautéed new potatoes, onion, baby leeks, tomato and tarragon

Pan-fried Loch Duart salmon with crushed peas, baby onions and thyme, smoked pancetta and shallot dressing

Spinach and Ricotta ravioli with char-grilled pepper coulis and rocket pesto

Dessert

White chocolate and vanilla panna cotta

Brioche bread and butter pudding layered with lemon curd and English custard

Selection of Neal’s Yard cheese with toasted walnut bread

The waitress came back with a glass of rose and then I asked if I was ready to order. I was a bit pressed for time, as my appointment was in less than 30 minutes I asked if I could order the soup, skip the main and go for the panna cotta for dessert.

I asked about water and she offered sparkling or still. I chose still and then she went off to the kitchen to place my order. As we were talking, a Singapore Airlines A380 trundled past.

SQ A380

My place setting

My soup arrived at 19.20, just 20 minutes before my massage appointment. I had to ask for bread. The waitress was friendly, but perhaps a bit rushed, which is why she was forgetting things. I asked for my dessert to come straight away, I was worried about being late for my massage appointment.

Tomato soup

Having re-read the menu, I now realise that it didn’t come with the salad or the basil toast. Another oversight.

The soup was pretty good, although not as good as the one in the Qantas First Class lounge. It was fine, but the presentation was bland, it would have looked better with the salad and the toast.

Next up was the panna cotta, which was really good, although I had to rush it down.

White chocolate panna cotta

I finished at 19.35 and made my way to the Elemis spa. The food was ok, the service was friendly but forgetful. I’d have liked the chance to indulge a little more and I was kicking myself that I’d booked an appointment so close to the start of the pre-flight dining.

I arrived at the spa on time, at 19.40 only to find that the lady performing the treatments was busy! Grr. Anyway, I sat and helped myself to a glass of water whilst I waited. The lady finished with the previous passenger and then asked me to fill in the health and safety questionnaire. This was done quickly and then I was lead to the treatment room for the neck and shoulder massage.

The massage itself was quite hard, but very relaxing. It was welcome, as I hadn’t had a massage for quite a long time. After the treatment, I completed the questionnaire and thanked the receptionist and headed back to the lounge.

Elemis Travel Spa – T3

I returned to the lounge and found a spot close to where I was sitting before. I sat down and got out my iPad and started doing a bit of surfing on FT. At this point, I started to have a bit of a wobble. This was the third time that I’d be leaving the UK in 10 months or so and I’d had such a good time, it was difficult to leave.

I put on some music and sat nervously, waiting for the gate to show on the screen.

My view

I phoned my sister to say good bye, used the facilities, and then on the way back I noticed that my flight now had a gate, 36. I wasn’t really sure where that was, only having used the low numbered gates on A380 flights.

I left the lounge at 9.10, and started to make my way towards the gate, this was actually towards the left after leaving the lounge. At this point I just wanted to get onboard and settle down.

The gate was actually quite a distance away and I was able to spot the BA 777 that was operating the service to Singapore.

BA 777

Eventually, I made it to Gate 36, where I found a Qantas 747 that would be operating the service to Bangkok.

The gate area was very busy, there was a huge queue at the boarding pass check to actually enter gate. Luckily, there was a fast track queue, so I was able to skip past most of the line. A man in front of me got a beep and an upgrade, lucky bugger.

My boarding pass was scanned and the nice lady wished me a pleasant flight, using my name.

Gate 36 offered a pretty good view of the aircraft that would be taking me to Bangkok tonight, G-CIVT. I was able to confirm, with the window blanks and the blue tint that this aircraft was indeed fitted with New First.

G-CIVT – Operating BA9 tonight

Verdict

I enjoyed my experience in the First lounge, overall it was comfortable and the layout allowed everyone to find their own little corner, without it feeling busy. The pre-flight dining was ok, nothing like the experience at the Qantas lounge in Sydney. I felt that the staff were a bit rushed and that the service suffered as a result. I had expected more. I feel that BA should go the way of other airlines and partner with a hotel chain for their First class lounge, this would help lift the service and make it feel more professional and service orientated.

The lounge for me wasn’t a huge step up from the business class lounge, and in fact much of the furniture and fittings were the same, Of course, the Champagne bar was something special which the business lounge doesn’t have.

Overall, an enjoyable experience, but lacking in some areas.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
.........there's two flights left to come but I'm struggling to find the time at the moment, and I still have to do all of the wedding photos too
Take your time Matt. This is an exceptionally enjoyable trip report to read & I can just imagine the logistics involved in both compiling it & then uploading to FT. We're in no hurry at all, as after all when you've posted the last segment, we'll have no more to look forward to. So take your time, you should enjoy writing & posting the report as much as we're enjoying reading it.

I’m not ashamed to say that these days I get a little nervous when I fly. I don’t know why, I’m not scared of flying.... <snip>

I was in the ‘zone’ and just wanted to get checked in and into the lounge. This is not because I value time in the lounge more than time with my friends however; I can’t explain it properly.
I find that in recent years I'm exactly the same.

In years gone by, I used to just saunter into an airport, check-in, go through security & board the flight without a thought or care in the world. But more & more these days, I just get tunnel vision on the day of departure & my sole mission & entire focus is to get to check-in, drop my bag, get my BP, get through security & get airside. It's as if I'm driven my this unseen inner force & I want no diversions or distractions at all & can only relax once I'm airside.

Sadly, I find that I'm enjoying my travels less & less because of this & now can feel quite fraught & stressed on the day of travel & really have to keep myself in check, in order to bring back some of the "fun of travel"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.