Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My First First! - BA First Class, Sydney to UK Return (& Paris, Ireland, Bangkok)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First First! - BA First Class, Sydney to UK Return (& Paris, Ireland, Bangkok)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Padmeister
And considering matthandy lives in Australia it is perfectly fitting that when he comes back to England to visit that he should do the English thing and go to a proper English Pub and also sample a mighty fine "Full English" breakfast ^ Because you certainly wouldn't get a good one of them in Australia
Awww, I don't know about that. I have experienced some fantastic "Full English" brekkies in the UK, so I know what to expect. And I have experienced equally good brekkies here in Oz.

Dave
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by thadocta
Awww, I don't know about that. I have experienced some fantastic "Full English" brekkies in the UK, so I know what to expect. And I have experienced equally good brekkies here in Oz.

Dave
oh thats good then dave i shall have to give there brekkies a try when i go to sydney in 2013
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Just found the time to read the LHR-BKK sector! Excellent report as always. Glad you got New First, and I agree with your conclusions.

The catering really does look fantastic. Not sure why you were served last - usually in First, service is done in order of when people want to eat.

Oddly enough, I had a similar experience with the crew on my recent HKG-LHR sector in First. The purser seemed to dislike the other two crew members. Very odd. I can understand disagreements, but they should never be visible to passengers or be allowed to interfere with the service.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA GLD
What a super read! And the photos help bring it to life.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aks120
Great trip report - thanks for sharing ^
Glad to hear that you've enjoyed it so far.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I would think this would be a good chance to try something you normally wouldn't have eaten or tried, that is all. Its all part of the adventure.
You are right, it was a good chance to try something new, but you can't part an Englishman from his English breakfasts!

Originally Posted by Padmeister
Us Brits are known throughout the world for making a fantastic breakfast i.e generally known as a "Full English" i can totally agree with matthandy
for choosing it on board his FC flight! and it looked fantastic to be fair!
Thanks Padmeister ^ Totally agree. I've had a few good breakfasts here, but mostly eggs Benedict. Never had a full English here before now.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Last time I was in England, I tried this "full English Breakfast" it was just OK.. Since I'm not fond of tomatoe's or baked beans.
More for us then .

Originally Posted by halfcape
So, now that you are rested up, are you planning your next trip?!
No plans yet, perhaps India around the end of the year and another trip back to the UK in May, but not sure yet. You might get a TR out of me for my 30th birthday, if I actually get anything sorted out!

Originally Posted by AndersenF
Hi Matthandy!
What a fantastic TR, one of the best I've seen in a while!
Keep it up!
Hi AndersenF, welcome to FT. Thank you for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by Genius1
Oddly enough, I had a similar experience with the crew on my recent HKG-LHR sector in First. The purser seemed to dislike the other two crew members. Very odd. I can understand disagreements, but they should never be visible to passengers or be allowed to interfere with the service.
100% agree, it was odd indeed. However, the purser really was fantastic, so that did make up for it of sorts.

Originally Posted by sftrvlr
What a super read! And the photos help bring it to life.
Thanks sftrvlr!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:17 am
Original Poster

A Few Days in Bangkok

One of the benefits of being in First Class is the fact that you get to disembark the aircraft first, so as I made my way out into the terminal, it wasn’t very busy at all.

My aircraft

Moving walk ways

I started the long trek to immigration, it felt like it was miles away! I had been given a fast track pass but when I got to the row of desks I couldn’t see any signs indicating the fast track desks. I joined the back of a rather long queue and waited 15-20 minutes before being called forward. No questions asked, stamp, stamp and then I headed to the baggage belt where my bag was already circling.

I went through customs and then met the hotel representative who took my case, showed me outside and called for the car to take me to the hotel.

This arrived promptly and I was ushered into the car and wished a good day. The driver said hello and pointed out the cold water and cold towels that had been laid out for me. Soon I was on my way to the hotel.

My ride – the hotel chaps sorting out my suitcase

I’d used my much depleted Marriott points to book 3 nights at the Bangkok Marriott Resort and Spa. This is located south of the city, although there is a shuttle boat service provided by the hotel that will connect you with the sky train and other river boat services.

It took about 45 minutes to get to the hotel and the traffic was held for me as we crossed over the road and into the hotel court yard. I was warmly greeted with plenty of hello’s and welcome’s by the friendly Thai staff. My bag was taken from the back of the car and I was met by one of the reception staff who was expecting me. She asked if I would like to check in with reception, use the facilities first or check in directly in my room. I’ve only had in-room check in once before, in Singapore at the Grand Hyatt. I didn’t expect it here too.

The very lovely lady showed me to my room and went through the formalities. This took quite a long time, as she explained everything to me, including going through a map of the hotel and arranging my arrival gift.

After the formalities she wished me a pleasant stay and left. Shortly after, the porter arrived with my bag and then I was left to survey the room.

It is fair to say that the rooms at this property were quite old in decoration, but nonetheless very comfortable. I seem to have been upgraded to one of the four end rooms on my level which meant that I had slightly separate seating area with a sofa and coffee table.

Typically large and comfortable Marriott bed

Seating area

Bathroom

The bathroom was well appointed, with double sinks and a separate shower and bath. There was a large flat screen TV as well as writing desk and the usual mini-bar. Wifi was complimentary throughout the hotel (Platinum benefit) so I was able to browse the net wherever I was.

I started to unpack and then flicked on the TV. My platinum status entitled me to use the Club lounge and they were currently serving cocktails, as it was about 5.30, however, I was quite tired so decided to settle down for the evening, order some room service, hook up my iPad to the TV and watch a film.

The next morning, I woke up and headed down the restaurant for breakfast. This was quite an extensive affair, with a lot of both Western and Asian choices. I don’t really pig out for breakfast when I’m at a hotel, I don’t know why, so I just helped myself to some cereal and a croissant. I had decided that today was the day where I’d get out and see a few sights. I’d been to Bangkok before, in 2006, so I wasn’t hugely fussed with rushing around to cram in as much as I could.

I decided to head out to the Grand Palace, and would take a river boat to do so.
This involved taking the half hourly shuttle boat service to the central pier and then hopping onto to the express boat up towards the palace. I’d used the public boats before, and could vividly remember the ‘shaky, shaky’ lady with her tickets and coins.

The shuttle boat wasn’t too busy luckily and the very polite gentleman on-board produced cold towels for all of the hotel guests. We made it to central pier in about 15 minutes and then I raced round and literally jumped on to the back of the public river boat.

The public express boat

We raced up the river, with the ticket lady shouting something in Thai and shaking her coin box at everyone. I produced a 20 baht note and got some change back.

We made quite a few stops, and I wasn’t 100% sure where I needed to get off, however, I just followed all of the other tourists. I made my way out onto the street, which involves going through an area set up with various stalls selling all sorts of things, designed of course to help the numerous tourists part with their cash.

I’d read that often tourists get scammed around the Grand Palace. The usual trick is for someone to come up to you and tell you that the palace is closed, but that they can take you on a special tour instead. I was approached a couple of times but just ignored them and made my way to the entrance.

People entering the palace must conform to a strict dress code, which includes no bare knees or shoulders. I’d read about this, so wore some longer shorts, but this still didn’t seem to be acceptable and I was directed to a building where you can borrow appropriate clothing. I was a bit suspicious, but actually, it was all run very smoothly. You deposit 200 baht per item and get a signed receipt. You then go to the changing room and select appropriate attire. On the return you present your receipt and then get back exactly the same notes that you gave them. It is very efficient and safe.

Once I had donned my new trousers, I went to get my ticket, entered the palace and spent the next hour or so wandering around.

I found the buildings, statues and monuments fascinating. A particular highlight was the chance to enter one of the temples and lay eyes on the shrine inside. There are strict rules, shoes must be removed, no photography or filming and the soles of your feet must never be pointed towards Buddha. It was very cool and peaceful in the temple and I spent a moment cooling down and reflecting.

View from the entrance

Palace buildings

Golden temple

Around the outside of the palace buildings, under cover is a huge mural, although I’m not sure what it depicts, since I could not read it.

Endless mural

Standing guard

Amazing architecture

As well as a religious site, the palace is also home to a number of government buildings. These are not open to the public, but it is possible to view them, and the guards, whilst wandering around the grounds.

Government building

Amazing roof tops

I was feeling pretty hot and bothered at this point, as it was sweltering outside. I went to the café and had a large bottle of water to cool down. At this point, I decided that, even though I’d only been out a few hours, I’d had enough of the heat, so made my way back to the hotel for a late lunch. I know that I really should have made more of an effort, but I didn’t really choose Bangkok as somewhere to visit specifically, but more of a rest stop, after my whirlwind tour in Europe. So if I didn’t rush around all over the city, I was pretty happy with that. Besides, it is not the same when you are travelling on your own.

Last edited by matthandy; Jul 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:19 am
Original Poster

I made my way out of the Grand Palace, returning my borrowed trousers and then back to pier to catch the boat. On the way we passed Wat Aran, an attraction that I should have really made the effort to visit, but I had been there before too.

One of the public river services

Wat Aran

The divide between rich and poor

Reflection

I made my way back to the central pier and then waited around for a bit for the shuttle boat to arrive. As I hopped onboard, cold towels and water was provided again. They really do try to look after you!

We arrived at the hotel and I went down to the pool to get some lunch.

I sat down as was soon presented with a menu. I chose the massaman curry, rice, a rather girly looking cocktail and some water.

The food was great and I watched an episode of Glee whilst I enjoyed my rather indulgent late lunch.

My lunch

I returned to my room to work on this report and also cool down a bit. Luckily the air con was on and working well.

At 5.30 I decided to head down to the club lounge to see what cocktails and canapés were on offer. The lounge was not very busy at all, I was one of three guests that afternoon. The friendly waitress welcomed me to the lounge, ushered me to a seat and then offered a cocktail. I decided to go for a mojito. This was served promptly and I got out my iPad to carry on with this report. The canapés were pretty good, and included both sweet and savoury Western and Asian offerings including dim sum. One cocktail down and I was joined by a few more guests. The same waitress noticed that I had finished and approache, addressed me by name and asked if I would like another. I went for a mai tai this time. Yes, another girly drink. Is there such thing as a manly cocktail though?

The drinks were going down very well indeed and after another mai tai I decided that it was time to head back to my room and settle down for the evening. When travelling on my own I don’t really venture out at night, but I suppose that I could have gone down the bar to see if anything was going on. I chose instead to slip into bed and watch another film on my iPad.

The next day was supposed to be a productive one. I had sought out a couple of things which I’d not seen before, Jim Thompson’s House and the Teak House, however, I think that the jet lag that I’d managed to push away for the past couple of weeks finally caught up with me. I couldn’t be bothered getting out of bed for breakfast and then ended up falling back to sleep, waking up at about 2pm. Having pretty much wasted most of the day, I decided that I was going to have a lazy day today and stay in bed, so that’s exactly what I did. I got through so many episodes of Glee and Family Guy I really couldn’t count them using two hands.

Needless to say, I felt very rested the next day, my last day in Bangkok. I didn’t have time in the morning to visit both of the attractions that I had missed the previous day, so went with Jim Thompson’s house as it sounded very interesting.

After a quick breakfast, I took the shuttle boat to the central pier and then on the sky train. I’d never used this before but it was very easy, clean and efficient.

Leaving the hotel by shuttle boat

The sky train

It’s fair to say that the sky train was as easy and efficient as both similar systems in Hong Kong and Singapore.

I got off at National Stadium and then made a short walk to the museum. Of course, it started raining at this point.

Jim Thompson was an American businessman who built a house in the 1950’s and 1960’s from old structures all over Thailand. As such, it looks like a very traditional Thai residence, although it now stands in the metropolis that is Bangkok city.

Visitors can only view the house by tour, although these occur very frequently. I was booked onto the next English speaking tour and sat waiting, watching the rain pour all around me.

Jim Thompson’s House

The tour started on the lower levels, viewing some of the assorted art works that had been collected. The tour guide explained that the owner actually disappeared mysteriously in 1967, never to be seen again. The house was left as it was and eventually taken over by the government and turned into a tourist attraction.

We were invited to remove our shoes as we headed upstairs. I found the house very interesting, with it’s quirky layout and mix of Thai and Western culture.

The tour lasted about 30 minutes and then I made my way back to the hotel to start getting ready to leave for the airport.

Before I left I was able to get a few shots of the hotel to share with you.

Reception

The lobby – looking towards the club lounge

The huge swimming pool

Verdict on Bangkok

Did I make the most out of my time in Bangkok? Absolutely not. I really didn’t make much of an effort to get out and see the sights. However, that was not the reason that I wanted to stop over. I needed some down time, after rushing around in Europe.

I made the mistake of visiting somewhere that I had already been before, as although I enjoyed visiting the Grand Palace, I enjoyed Jim Thompson’s house more.

The hotel was great, the room was comfortable, the staff were fantastic and the club lounge was brilliant. My only comment would be on the prices at the hotel. As you might expect these were geared towards Western guests and were very expensive. Of course, that goes for all such hotels in Bangkok.

Would I go back to Bangkok again? I’d like to, but not by myself, otherwise I’ll just end up staying in bed again all day!

Last edited by matthandy; Jul 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Bangkok is on my list, your great pictures just moved it up a notch or two! Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
LOL - my only ever real bout of jet lag was after a LHR-BKK flight years ago. I too slept to 14:00.

Nice pictures of Bangkok. I have never made it to Jim Thompson's house, maybe I should next time.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:53 pm

I was so caught up with the photos thread over on the BA board that I nearly missed the latest part to this TR!

I must say that Bangkok isn't somewhere I would ever want to go to (apart from the airport obviously). I've probably watched too many of those programmes showing the seedier side which of course exists in all cities but it's definitely not on my list. It's nice to see pictures though...

When can we expect the next part, so I can make sure I'm not otherwise distracted.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
This really is a wonderful trip report. I have loved every word of it and feel that I was vicariously there a bit. Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, AA EX PLT 1MM+, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT, etc.
Originally Posted by ellielovesem
I was so caught up with the photos thread over on the BA board that I nearly missed the latest part to this TR!
+1

I've been checking daily for the latest updates to your very engaging TR!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Another one who keeps coming back for a daily dose! As I said before, excellent report. Oh, and absolutely nothing wrong with spending all day in a luxurious hotel room in a bed you don't have to make yourself!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sftrvlr
Another one who keeps coming back for a daily dose! As I said before, excellent report. Oh, and absolutely nothing wrong with spending all day in a luxurious hotel room in a bed you don't have to make yourself!
^^
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Thumbs up

A brillant trip report, I have been checking every two days to read the next installment.
Matt you seem to have a gift where you transport the reader into the story, with the text and photos. I feel that I can hear the chink of the plates, the annoucements in the lounge, the sounds and smell of Bangkok, the dirt of the RER etc. It does help having travelled to all your destinations but you still are a magician.:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.