Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My First First! - BA First Class, Sydney to UK Return (& Paris, Ireland, Bangkok)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First First! - BA First Class, Sydney to UK Return (& Paris, Ireland, Bangkok)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by matthandy
When travelling on my own I don’t really venture out at night, but I suppose that I could have gone down the bar to see if anything was going on. I chose instead to slip into bed and watch another film on my iPad.
I couldn’t be bothered getting out of bed for breakfast and then ended up falling back to sleep, waking up at about 2pm. Having pretty much wasted most of the day, I decided that I was going to have a lazy day today and stay in bed, so that’s exactly what I did. I got through so many episodes of Glee and Family Guy I really couldn’t count them using two hands.
Did I make the most out of my time in Bangkok? Absolutely not. I really didn’t make much of an effort to get out and see the sights. However, that was not the reason that I wanted to stop over. I needed some down time, after rushing around in Europe.
Matthandy, excellent trip report, as I said earlier. The only bone to pick I might have is that in BKK, there is a lot to do during the day or night, of the sightseeing or other variety. I understand some downtime was needed, but Glee in a hotel room by yourself?! I'm sure you would have found some FTer more than happy to show you a good time!
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Thank you for your amazing trip reports. Its always sad to come to the end of a trip! How did you take the photos of the menus? Could you take them with you?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Great report

Don't suppose you have any photos on the stair area from 64A do you?
One of your photos slightly shows the stair rail and it would be nice to how easy is it to pass alongside it when not wanting to climb over 64B.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Fantastic trip report, really enjoyed it.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:05 pm

By 4.15 I was in the lounge (along with the grumpy couple, who we’ll meet again later).
I always like these bits in a TR...

Palmer

Last edited by Palmer; Aug 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by robofski
Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed this TR. I'm quite new to FT and this was just the 2nd TR I came across but it has had me hooked from the start. I've since gone back and read many of your others (starting to feel like a bit of a stalker!)
Thanks robofski! I'm pleased that you enjoyed the TR, thanks very much for your great comments. I don't have anymore international trips planned at the moment, but I'm flying to Perth tomorrow. A330 there and 747 back, so I'll write a TR for that.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I could not help but to notice some dreadful food presentation in First. Some of the CW ones looked better than some First ones. BA needs to lift its game in terms of presentation, I think, and as for soggy bacon rolls - well what can I say! I still love BA but I hope they improve the food a bit.
I agree! The food on my first First flight was not good at all. I was actually rather impressed by the food in CW. It would seem that catering ex-BKK is pretty good. Ex-LHR, the food was amazing and the presentation was as you would expect First class to be. The bacon roll was disgusting. Not impressed! I do think that BA should increase the quantity of food for breakfast for some of the shorter CW flights, where there is no arrivals lounge at the other end. Qantas do it, so I don't see why BA can't.

Originally Posted by ellielovesem
Matt, I think I've used up all the superlatives that there are but now we have reached the end of the report I just need to say again that it is just fabulous. I know I'll definitely be reading this a few more times and thanks for the index of your other TR's as I don't think I've read all of them.
Thank you ellielovesem! I think that I have run out of ways to say thank you too . I hope that you'll put a TR together for your trip!
As for Kings Cross, if you must go, daytime is definitely best.

Originally Posted by Genius1
A great ending to a fabulous trip report. ^

I know who I'll be nominating for BA Trip Reporter of the Year again
Thanks Genius1. What can I say......

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good last couple of flights you had there apart from the rather abrupt male cabin crew member.....time he looked for a new job I think.

Really enjoyed this report Matt especially your on the ground excursions. It has put me right in the mood for our trip back to the UK in September.
Now you've spent all your money and miles on this trip I shall look forward to your next report in Y.
Yes, now that the IA is over, I think that some of the crew need to pull their socks up and start realising that the customer is the most important aspect in their line of work.

There is a special fare in F from SYD to LHR on BA which is floating about at the moment, it is tempting me, but it is still fare expensive. Next trip will definitely be in Y, off to Perth tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Your efforts and those of the other legends here are well appreciated. If ever I could get the hang of posting photos I might even be tempted to do one myself.
Thanks for your kind comments Betteronacamel (nice name by the way). All you need is somewhere to upload your photos and then you can link to them in the report. Please do a TR, the more the better!

Originally Posted by LondonElite
The only bone to pick I might have is that in BKK, there is a lot to do during the day or night, of the sightseeing or other variety.
Yes LE, you are absolutely right. I should have made more effort, but with all of that rushing around in the UK beforehand, I wanted a bit of down time. Travelling alone doesn't really motivate you to get out and see the sights either.

Originally Posted by GodAtum
How did you take the photos of the menus? Could you take them with you?
Yes, absolutely! You can take everything with you. This includes, the menus, slippers, pyjamas and wash bag.

Originally Posted by xenole
Don't suppose you have any photos on the stair area from 64A do you?
One of your photos slightly shows the stair rail and it would be nice to how easy is it to pass alongside it when not wanting to climb over 64B.
You don't need to climb over 64B. It is reasonably easy to squeeze past the stair rail, without bumbing into 64B. I don't have any photos though unfortunately.

Originally Posted by ABZ1C
Fantastic trip report, really enjoyed it.
Thanks ABZ1C!

Originally Posted by Palmer
I always like these bits in a TR...
Thanks Palmer, yes I try to add in a bit of humour where I can.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
I just got back from a few days away, to see that there is an update to the TR, which is

But also to find that the TR is now complete, signalling the end of the updates, which is

What can I say Matt, that hasn't already been said. A truly outstanding TR, which was an absolute pleasure to read, one which was exceptionally well written, with just the perfect mix of humour, photographs & descriptions of the various portions of the trip. I can only imagine the dedication, time & effort required to document & upload such a detailed report.

Your journey is one that I probably never will take, so I doubt I'll ever see the inside of the the likes of the QF First lounge at SYD, so it was fantastic to be able to travel along virtually with you. Unlike most TR's that focus on the travel portions of the trip, you took it a step further & included your personal time in the UK & Ireland & I think that's what made this TR all the more special.

I'm particularly delighted that you enjoyed your time in Ireland & your stay at the Europe in Killarney. I'm also glad that you enjoyed your flights with EI & wouldn't hesitate to fly them again. I'm often dismayed at the reputation they seem to have garnered here on FT, but as you found out they are far removed from the likes of FR & don't deserve to be tarred with the same brush, as often seems to be the case.

When I started out reading your report & looked at that picture taken from the car, as you crossed the Harbour Bridge on the way to the airport, I could really get a sense of the adventure & epic journey about to start. Then seeing that picture, taken again, as you headed home I couldn't help but get the feeling of.... "ahhh I'm home, the journey's over" To be able to convey those feelings with pictures & words is a real talent & one that I think you should pursue.

Like another poster has said up-thread, I too have "stalked you" & read all your previous TR's & thoroughly enjoyed them. As is evident in some of those TR's you're also not afraid to include your personal feelings, as you left the UK & said good-bye to your friends on various occasions. This is a brave thing to do & really makes the reader feel that they are right there with you. It's that personal touch that makes your TR's stand out from the crowd. I will always keep an eye out for further postings by you on the Trip Reports section & look forward to reading more

Thank you so much for "Bringing us along on your journey" .

Last edited by kered; Aug 3, 2011 at 4:36 am
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Outstanding photography
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: BA
I'm back for the latest update, and wasn't disappointed. Excellent photos and a captivating writing style.

The food in CW looks like an improvement, there has been word that they were reviewing their offering and trying to make it better. However, I'm sad the poor bacon sandwich offering has been retained - I genuinely haven't been happy with the CW breakfast in recent years. (Conversely the F breakfast is amazing, and rightly so).

Thanks for a fantastic TR, and I wish you well in future travels ^
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat

Overlooking central London, from my friend’s flat
Very nice report, you have quite the knack for good reports.

The random picture from your friends flat turned out quite nice.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:23 am
dgm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, HH Diamond.
Just brilliant!

What an excellent report. Like most other FT'ers I have been tuning in regularly to check out the next instalment!

After reading your report you have convinced me to give BA a chance for my next premium travel experience. Usually I only travel with MH/SQ for my far east travels but for once I'm prepared to try our flag carrier!

I look forward to reading your next report on any future travels!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
What a great TR matthandy . One of the best I've ever read.^ Especially impressed you did it all on an iPad.

I've just spent a very enjoyable 3 hours reading all the way through it. Sorry but had to laugh about your spot on comments about CDG. Must have been quite a comedown after all the other airports.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: AC.SE
matthandy: Thank you for the time and effort spent in putting together this TR. Clean, unadorned, but descriptive, and with some very nice pix. A pleasure to read.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kered
What can I say Matt, that hasn't already been said. A truly outstanding TR, which was an absolute pleasure to read, one which was exceptionally well written, with just the perfect mix of humour, photographs & descriptions of the various portions of the trip. I can only imagine the dedication, time & effort required to document & upload such a detailed report.
kered, your comments are simply amazing, thank you. I'm so glad that you thoroughly enjoyed the report. As you guessed, it did take a very long time indeed, with many hours spent preparing the photos, writing and editing the text and then uploading to FT. It was interesting to hear from you, as someone who had previously stayed at the Europe and who passes through ORK on a regular basis. Glad that I did it justice!

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Outstanding photography
Thanks Shayne2233 ^

Originally Posted by malkie
The food in CW looks like an improvement, there has been word that they were reviewing their offering and trying to make it better. However, I'm sad the poor bacon sandwich offering has been retained - I genuinely haven't been happy with the CW breakfast in recent years. (Conversely the F breakfast is amazing, and rightly so).
Thanks malkie. Yes, I was certainly impressed with the CW food, apart from breakfast. BA really need to sort that out. I would have preferred an economy breakfast, as it would have probably been more substantial.

Originally Posted by qbrain
Very nice report, you have quite the knack for good reports.

The random picture from your friends flat turned out quite nice.
Thanks qbrain. Disturbingly, my friend has just reported that rioters have been driven around his area in the last few hours. It's awful. I told him to throw stuff down at the them from his balcony

Originally Posted by dgm
After reading your report you have convinced me to give BA a chance for my next premium travel experience. Usually I only travel with MH/SQ for my far east travels but for once I'm prepared to try our flag carrier!
Certainly give BA try, but you might find them not quite up to the standards of SQ though. I'd also suggest trying QF on the A380, as it is always a great experience.

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
What a great TR matthandy . One of the best I've ever read.^ Especially impressed you did it all on an iPad.

I've just spent a very enjoyable 3 hours reading all the way through it. Sorry but had to laugh about your spot on comments about CDG. Must have been quite a comedown after all the other airports.
I have to confess, I only did the first few parts on the iPad, about 25% or so, the rest was done at home, on my PC. Doing it on the iPad was simply due to me still being in transit. As soon as I got home I swapped it for a proper computer as it was simply too tiring and time consuming. You can certainly write a short report on the iPad though. I should probably edit the first post to reflect this.

CDG is a total dump. I hope that I have never have to go there again.

Originally Posted by ylwae
matthandy: Thank you for the time and effort spent in putting together this TR. Clean, unadorned, but descriptive, and with some very nice pix. A pleasure to read.
Thanks for your comments ylwae.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
Excellent conclusion to your TR. I have just caught up with your most recent updates after being out in California for a couple of weeks.

We had OF outbound to SFO and NF back from LAX, little Miss Stevie-d had 1A outbound and loved it.

I prefer the brighter NF cabin in some ways, but the old one is definitely more classy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.