Most solo travellers are not American.

You could interpret the data as
Americans fear solo travel
or
Americans enjoy travelling with friends and family

wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Need
Well lets say if this is true:
Most solo travellers are not American.

You could interpret the data as
Americans fear solo travel
or
Americans enjoy travelling with friends and family

Or you could just interpret it as most travelers are not American.

Since I travel solo often, I'm often seated next to another solo traveler. True in most premium cabin configurations, as well as RJs in any cabin...and occasionally you just run into a poor bloke who get stuck in a middle seat. If a gripping fear of traveling alone was a "thing", you think at least some of these people would have a story about how they overcame their fear. Or are still dealing with it but got sent on a business trip with no choice and are visibly terrified.

Yet this is never the case. People are pretty chill, sometimes like to chat a bit about where they're going or what they're doing, and the topic of navigating through an airport, through ground transportation, and to a hotel without someone else to navigate them never comes up.

I'm sure there are a few people so paralyzed by this fear that they'd never allow themselves to get forced into this position to begin with. But these are most likely people terrified of flying in general, or perhaps terrified of international destinations in general, and it's unrelated to whether someone is there to guide them through it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by wolf72
Normal.
So what does an American look like then?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Cloudship
So what does an American look like then?
Dude,

Linkin Park once sang.."in the end, it doesn't even matter."
Attached Images  
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Travel with 1 or 2 others is better when taking taxis because it spread out the costs. Solo travel encourages taking the bus.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
American female here. I enjoy solo travel and have done it for many years in many counties. Now that I'm a mom I don't get to do it much any more. But I really enjoy my solo dinners out when on a biz trip.
Tizzette likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I prefer travelling alone, as a Canadian living in the US. Many of my friends have expressed views of wanting to go places, but don't want to go alone. I just go. 2 years ago I did a trip to Russia with 5 others. Never again, what a pain. It was fun regardless but what a pain. The one girl that lost her phone, and then her passport. The other girl that barely wanted to eat local food and beelined for US chains. And so on...

Going to Morocco solo in November, going back to Japan solo in January, and couldn't be more excited. I don't even want to invite anybody else along!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
I'd suggest that there really isn't a "common Brooklyn accent" (can't comment on Buffalo).
A non-New Yorker might think such a beast exists because of what they see depicted in film and television. But there are some real differences between various neighborhoods in Brooklyn and certainly among various ethnic groups (you can even hear differences between 2nd, 3rd, etc. generation Jews and Italians in Brooklyn).
I do not know anything about Brooklyn — not even its neighborhoods.
Originally Posted by pinniped
Sushi!
Gesundheit.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by k374
Talking to various people I find that Americans have a gripping fear of travel alone.. why? I notice most solo travelers abroad are mostly non American.
I don't see it as 'fear', I have traveled many a place alone, but I also find I
like it better when I can share that experience with someone close to me.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I am English, I can easily tell the difference between Canadian/American, Australian/NZ, Dutch/SA, but that is not to say everyone can. I can also tell someone with English as a foreign language as to where their English came from - ie. was it English English, or American English. Some people have an "ear" for it, or have a broader experience of listening to lots of different accidents.
I have a colleague from Canada, born and raised there, only moved to the US when she joined our workplace. No one could tell she was raised in Canada until she told us, several months after starting. Several of us spoke to her on a daily basis and couldn't detect anything.

The variation in regional accents around the US is far larger than the gap between the US and Canada. I don't think anyone could consistently and reliably detect the difference between a US and Canadian accent. Of course some, like a Boston or deep south accent, are easy to detect, but many aren't.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: Independent
Part of the reason, I think, also includes the fact that Americans in general, when they thing abut vacation, tend to think getting away from cities, not necessarily going to them. I know that is not a direct correlation between single and group travel, but I think it might impact the situation in that when Americans do travel overseas, they tend to being doing it specifically because it is a "shared" experience, such as a honeymoon, romantic trip, or family exploration. I am curious as to people's anecdotal experience with larger group travel. Do you tend to see most Americans traveling as a couple or larger groups?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:45 pm

I find looking back that my most fondly remembered trips are the few I've had traveling solo. If you are used to taking care of everybody else, a few days free to suit yourself are really precious.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I am curious as to people's anecdotal experience with larger group travel. Do you tend to see most Americans traveling as a couple or larger groups?
My anecdotes: whenever I see large group travel outside the U.S., they're usually *not* American. That seems popular among Japanese and other Asian cultures.

That sounds like the most wholly unappealing way to travel, as you have to move at the pace of the slowest member of the herd.

I've done a couple group trips...both while I was a student...and the best times we had were the unplanned days when we were free to roam and do our own thing.

Of all the Americans I know who travel frequently, I don't know any who like group tours. Even my in-laws, in their 70s, prefer to arrange their own travel.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by pinniped
My anecdotes: whenever I see large group travel outside the U.S., they're usually *not* American. That seems popular among Japanese and other Asian cultures.

That sounds like the most wholly unappealing way to travel, as you have to move at the pace of the slowest member of the herd.

I've done a couple group trips...both while I was a student...and the best times we had were the unplanned days when we were free to roam and do our own thing.

Of all the Americans I know who travel frequently, I don't know any who like group tours. Even my in-laws, in their 70s, prefer to arrange their own travel.
I agree with this, Americans generally don't travel in large groups. That tends to be mostly Asians. However, Americans often don't travel solo either. Americans tend to travel with family or friends, usually 2-4 in a group.

My theory is that when people in a country start to travel, they first do it in large groups on organized tours. Americans did that several decades ago when international travel became affordable. Chinese people, many of whom are starting to be able to travel for the first time, are doing that now. In a few decades, once the Chinese are more comfortable with the idea of traveling internationally, they will start to plan their own travel.

Solo travel is the next step in this progression. Seasoned travelers, who have taken a few trips abroad and are comfortable taking care of themselves, will be most likely to travel solo.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fredman
I don't see it as 'fear', I have traveled many a place alone, but I also find I like it better when I can share that experience with someone close to me.
This sums it up. Part of the great joy of travel is discussing what we've seen over dinner. Without my wife there, it loses so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.