FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Americans fear solo travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1866752-americans-fear-solo-travel.html)

k374 Sep 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Americans fear solo travel

Talking to various people I find that Americans have a gripping fear of travel alone.. why? I notice most solo travelers abroad are mostly non American.

bitterproffit Sep 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Generalizations are often anecdotal and not actually true.

yytleisure Sep 13, 2017 1:55 pm

I'll add my anecdotal evidence that this is true. For Canadians as well.

pinniped Sep 13, 2017 2:08 pm

I've never heard that before, either as a generalization/stereotype or with actual data from passenger traffic.

I've met less-experienced travelers who probably like traveling with someone more experienced (and not just for the benefits of status...). But I don't know anyone with a "gripping fear" of traveling alone.

I *like* my solo trips. I mean, I like meeting with colleagues and clients when I get wherever I'm going, but I'm quite happy if the flight itself is just me.

Canarsie Sep 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by k374 (Post 28811941)
I notice most solo travelers abroad are mostly non American.

If that is true, then include me as an exception, as I have embarked on many solo trips all over the world.

mapleg Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by yytleisure (Post 28812029)
I'll add my anecdotal evidence that this is true. For Canadians as well.

Well, I guess they did not ask me.

pinniped Sep 13, 2017 2:34 pm

My biggest gripping fear is having to travel with a bunch of colleagues who are total amateurs. :p Y'know, the guy who checks a bag on a 2-day business trip. Or the guy who insists on working with the airline to get your seat assignments next to each other. Or the guy who wants to overschedule every single moment of nonworking time and is then 15 minutes late to every planned meetup in the hotel lobby. Or the guy who's never been to New York before who wants you to go to dinner in Times Square, even though you purposely stay out of that part of town on your other 100 trips to Manhattan.

Any version of that guy. That's my gripping fear.

LtKernelPanic Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm

News to me. While traveling with someone is generally more enjoyable than solo travel I enjoy taking trips by myself because the only timetable I have to worry about is my own.

Proudelitist Sep 13, 2017 3:15 pm

I like company on leisure trips. But I don't have a "gripping fear" of doing it myself.

I prefer business travel alone hands down. Particularly internationally.

TrojanHorse Sep 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Just like most surveys

I was not called

pinniped Sep 13, 2017 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 28812348)
Just like most surveys

I was not called

Well, if you were called they would have wanted you to take the survey without getting any miles for it.

Those get immediately sent to the trash folder. I don't take surveys for free. I'm a cheap mark - 500 Marriott points would probably do the trick - but not free.

aquamarinesteph Sep 13, 2017 4:09 pm

As a general rule, I have found many Americans hesitant to do anything alone. If I'm seated at a table with NOBODY around me for miles, someone else will plunk themselves down at the nearest possible table. I think some Americans equate doing something alone with that dreaded hangover from high school of being unpopular. If someone won't dine alone or go to a movie alone, they're not really going to go abroad for a solo adventure.

I've done loads of things on my own, including travel within the US and abroad. I have no problem doing this. Is it a greater hassle at times? Maybe. Especially when I'm trying to reach the overhead bin, because I am short. My luggage getting up there is more like somebody doing a free throw in basketball. But I get it up there on my own.

I also enjoy a traveling companion to share things. If you see or hear something funny, it's more amusing to tell it to another person. But I can do things on my own.

Gig103 Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 28812175)
My biggest gripping fear is having to travel with a bunch of colleagues who are total amateurs. :p Y'know, the guy who checks a bag on a 2-day business trip. Or the guy who insists on working with the airline to get your seat assignments next to each other. Or the guy who wants to overschedule every single moment of nonworking time and is then 15 minutes late to every planned meetup in the hotel lobby. Or the guy who's never been to New York before who wants you to go to dinner in Times Square, even though you purposely stay out of that part of town on your other 100 trips to Manhattan.

Any version of that guy. That's my gripping fear.

I applaud your colleague who wants to overschedule his free time and go to Times Square. Two colleagues of mine went to NYC for a supplier meeting, neither have ever been to the city, and they stayed at the hotel or office. Never went to explore. I was saddened by this.

bitterproffit Sep 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph (Post 28812498)
As a general rule, I have found many Americans hesitant to do anything alone. If I'm seated at a table with NOBODY around me for miles, someone else will plunk themselves down at the nearest possible table. I think some Americans equate doing something alone with that dreaded hangover from high school of being unpopular. If someone won't dine alone or go to a movie alone, they're not really going to go abroad for a solo adventure.

I also enjoy a traveling companion to share things. If you see or hear something funny, it's more amusing to tell it to another person. But I can do things on my own.

I don't know where you meet all these Americans with this hesitation. I usually just meet other American solo travelers when I am traveling alone. Of course, we might travel to different places and hang out in different establishments, but I travel mostly solo and enjoy meeting other solo travelers (American or otherwise). I don't seem to see the same hangups that you see. Usually people give me a wide berth when I am dining alone. No one ever seems to feel the need to sit near me. I guess my anecdotal experience is different from yours.

84fiero Sep 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by k374 (Post 28811941)
Talking to various people I find that Americans have a gripping fear of travel alone.. why? I notice most solo travelers abroad are mostly non American.

Wow, how did you manage to meet all ~323 million Americans?

:rolleyes:

I've never understood people who think their very, very limited personal experience can be extrapolated to hundreds of millions of people. It's a rather ignorant way of perceiving the world.