Americans fear solo travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Americans fear solo travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by muji
What do non-Americans look like?
Normal.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Dining by yourself in some cities does take some getting used to. For solo dining I like the American culture of just going to sit at the bar and eating there.

Not that I'm "afraid" of it, but being the only person at a table by yourself at a European restaurant does feel a bit off to me, especially once you get out of the major cities where the locals are somewhat used to outsiders.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by wolf72
When they open their mouth's to talk?

It's not difficult.

Esp. when they are travelling in groups or pairs.
OP was talking about SOLO travelers, why would you apply my comment to those traveling in groups or pairs?

When they open their mouths to talk?! Canadians and Americans sound very similar. The Dutch, when speaking English, tend to have an accent that sounds much more American than say British. Most SOLO travelers overseas speak English while traveling and it is not entirely obvious where they are from by just listening to them speak, UNLESS you are a native English speaker. I.E. A Chinese person could easily think a Frenchman speaking English is American. So, when they open their mouths to talk nothing is entirely obvious.

i know a canadian west coast accent from a canadian from Toronto when they talk.

As i know a west coast cali accent from someone from minnesota, boston, NY or the south.

it's really not very difficult.

not sure why so many of you won't accept reality
You are out of your mind if you think even 1 out of 1000 people could tell any of these variations of an American/Canadian accent, unless they are native English speakers, and even then many would have a hard time differentiating between American and Canadian.

Not really. Mostly american's travel in groups. Or pairs. Rarely solo.
Most nationalities travel in groups on leisure. Most nationalities travel solo on business.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most solo travelers abroad aren't American. But that shouldn't be a surprise, flag shirt or not.

No single country's citizens constitute most solo travelers abroad.
Good point.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by whimike
OP was talking about SOLO travelers, why would you apply my comment to those traveling in groups or pairs?

When they open their mouths to talk?! Canadians and Americans sound very similar. The Dutch, when speaking English, tend to have an accent that sounds much more American than say British. Most SOLO travelers overseas speak English while traveling and it is not entirely obvious where they are from by just listening to them speak, UNLESS you are a native English speaker. I.E. A Chinese person could easily think a Frenchman speaking English is American. So, when they open their mouths to talk nothing is entirely obvious.

You are out of your mind if you think even 1 out of 1000 people could tell any of these variations of an American/Canadian accent, unless they are native English speakers, and even then many would have a hard time differentiating between American and Canadian.

Most nationalities travel in groups on leisure. Most nationalities travel solo on business.

Good point.
I am English, I can easily tell the difference between Canadian/American, Australian/NZ, Dutch/SA, but that is not to say everyone can. I can also tell someone with English as a foreign language as to where their English came from - ie. was it English English, or American English. Some people have an "ear" for it, or have a broader experience of listening to lots of different accidents.

But of course we know that to test whether someone is Canadian or American is to have them say "about".
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by whimike

Good point.
.Pretty sure our discussion is not including business travellers and corporate types who potentially need to travel for meetings/work.

We are talking about holiday types...
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I am English, I can easily tell the difference between Canadian/American, Australian/NZ, Dutch/SA, but that is not to say everyone can. I can also tell someone with English as a foreign language as to where their English came from - ie. was it English English, or American English. Some people have an "ear" for it, or have a broader experience of listening to lots of different accidents.

But of course we know that to test whether someone is Canadian or American is to have them say "about".
It doesn't always work, as I do know given my history along the border.

I've got decent enough observational skills and background to identity a few dozen languages and regional accents in a variety of languages -- many of which I don't even speak at more than a toddler level (if even that "good") -- if I get an opportunity to hear at least 20+ seconds of dialogue. So it's not like I'm unfamiliar with identifying geographic differences in accents, word choice, grammatical construction and so on. And yet there are some non-native-English speakers who speak such good English as a foreign language that the average American wouldn't notice the person isn't American unless and until contextual content, non-audio type of indicators or a foreign language come out into the open. And in some cases it takes many minutes of dialogue even for a very informed observer to notice they are dealing with a person who had ESL.

And there are Canadians with various American ties, Americans with various Canadian ties and dual Canada-US citizens. Good luck being 100% right. No one is.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:33 am

i know a canadian west coast accent from a canadian from Toronto when they talk.

As i know a west coast cali accent from someone from minnesota, boston, NY or the south.

it's really not very difficult.

not sure why so many of you won't accept reality
I'm impressed!
Here in NYC, many people have immigrant parents and their accents often include a mix of their parents' country of origin as well as NYC.
I assume you can detect that as well since you mention NY in your response.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
I'm impressed!
Here in NYC, many people have immigrant parents and their accents often include a mix of their parents' country of origin as well as NYC.
I assume you can detect that as well since you mention NY in your response.
Accents amongst native-born-and-resident-since-birth NYCers vary, with even children having different accents than their parent/parents who may also be native-born-and-resident-since-birth NYCers.

There is no way that I'd confuse a common Brooklyn accent for a common Buffalo accent, even as both Brookly and Buffalo are in NY. But the accents don't always give it (proverbial location) away.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Accents amongst native-born-and-resident-since-birth NYCers vary, with even children having different accents than their parent/parents who may also be native-born-and-resident-since-birth NYCers.

There is no way that I'd confuse a common Brooklyn accent for a common Buffalo accent, even as both Brookly and Buffalo are in NY. But the accents don't always give it (proverbial location) away.
I'd suggest that there really isn't a "common Brooklyn accent" (can't comment on Buffalo).
A non-New Yorker might think such a beast exists because of what they see depicted in film and television. But there are some real differences between various neighborhoods in Brooklyn and certainly among various ethnic groups (you can even hear differences between 2nd, 3rd, etc. generation Jews and Italians in Brooklyn).
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:01 am

He travels the fastest who travels alone

Rudyard Kipling
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mdkowals
Dining by yourself in some cities does take some getting used to. For solo dining I like the American culture of just going to sit at the bar and eating there.
Sushi!

I've never encountered a sushi bar that didn't welcome a solo diner. Good way to escape greasy pub grub or the hotel lobby bar. Always fun just sit down and allow the chef to select your sushi...

I try to do it at least once on every solo trip I take. If it's a four night trip with three client/business dinners, I'll even make up an excuse to get one night alone to hit a good sushi bar.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by Badenoch
"Gripped with fear" is a bit hyperbolic.

Americans are culturally not the most ardent travellers largely due to an isolationist world view, a U.S.-centric education system and varying degrees of international resentment toward their nation's global behavior.

They also have a skewed view on safety and security. They are horrified about the thought of visiting Johannesburg but think nothing about going to Detroit or St. Louis.
Actually one good reason many dont leave the USA is the variety of geography, climate, cultural divesity available. From rainforest to desert, beaches to mountains and everywhere in between.
MiscMel70 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:57 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I'd suggest that there really isn't a "common Brooklyn accent" (can't comment on Buffalo).
A non-New Yorker might think such a beast exists because of what they see depicted in film and television. But there are some real differences between various neighborhoods in Brooklyn and certainly among various ethnic groups (you can even hear differences between 2nd, 3rd, etc. generation Jews and Italians in Brooklyn).
And then there's this fella
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by lamphs
As a primarily solo US citizen traveler, I agree with the thread's title. Traveled to 52 countries and have run across very few solo US citizens. And my immediate family and most of my friends think I am nuts to travel solo.

I, for one, strongly prefer to travel solo. My timetable - do what I want when I want!
I have not traveled as much as you have, but my observations are similar to yours. I have traveled a good bit solo and family and friends find this a bit odd. Rarely do I run into other people travelling solo, but I don't really seek people out when travelling. I have a friend I travel with frequently and she is not at all happy with us splitting up, even for a couple hours when we want to do different things.

Last year we were in Key West and we actually did split up over a dinner time. I went to this fairly pricey French restaurant and REALLY wanted the most expensive thing on the menu. I went back and forth, but finally decided to go for it. When the check came the waitress told me that it was 30% off for people dining solo! What a happy switch from the usual single supplement that has me paying more for smaller accommodations.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:31 am
Suspended

Yes.

"A common Brooklyn accent" doesn't mean the accent is the most common accent to be found in Brooklyn; rather it was to suggest there is more than one accent to be found in Brooklyn that constitutes a common Brooklyn accent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.