Americans fear solo travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Americans fear solo travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
Interesting takes on this. The comfortable solo travelers tend to see many other solo travelers. But I would surmise this is because they avoid places where the massed American contingent go (Times Square for example)

The American Plan travel system does constitute the bulk beyond US shores. Its main function is to allow its tour patrons to see and take pictures all while in the familiar bubble of food, beverage, & accommodations. Not to mention never needing to deal with all those who refuse to speak "American"

Of course that has been my observation over decades.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

american men? what age?

pretty large (and increasing) numbers of millennials are traveling solo
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Wow, how did you manage to meet all ~323 million Americans?

I've never understood people who think their very, very limited personal experience can be extrapolated to hundreds of millions of people. It's a rather ignorant way of perceiving the world.
I'd argue it is more ignorant to suggest one needs to meet all Americans to make general statements about Americans.
awayIgo likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
I'm just wondering what was the purpose of this thread was, anyway.

And remember: Italians often travel in groups because they're so sociable. French people often travel in couples because they're so romantic. Spaniards/Greeks/Scandinavians/WhatHaveYous often travel with families because they have such strong, healthy family ties. But Americans often travel with other folks because they're paralyzed by fear.
travelmad478 and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Wow, how did you manage to meet all ~323 million Americans?
Not 323 million, as only 30% of Americans even have a passport so at least not internationally LOL!

This is based on my own personal sample size...that is how statistics work, they don't poll every single person. My sample size is now large enough that I can come to some conclusions, probably sampling around at least a 1000 people and 99% of them avoided solo travel, expressed a terrible aversion to it, expressed shock that I travel alone or have arrived to a place alone.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:21 pm

I find these survey results odd as I have not witnessed this "global trend" much myself in 51 years of travel. And as far as I'm concerned the further away from a gaggle of Americans I can get is where I want to be. But it's nice to hang out with someone from your own country, if only for a beer or 10; it's also more interesting to immerse yourself in another culture which is my preferred habit, typically by myself since the family does not travel well.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
I do notice a general hesitation on the part of most of the population to step outside the "comfort zone" of America. However in my solo travels I have run into other solo American travelers as much as Europeans/Australians/Israelis, etc. Also, I see a lot of solo American domestic travelers. Therefore I find the theory that "Americans fear solo travel" imprecise at least.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:46 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I find solo travel to generally be much less stressful.

Anything beyond one companion with our itinerary controlled by me and I'm a wreck.
Dave737 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by k374
Talking to various people I find that Americans have a gripping fear of travel alone.. why? I notice most solo travelers abroad are mostly non American.
American's are not very seasoned traveller's overseas. At home, yes. Overseas, no. They tend to travel in pair's or wolf pack's...and you can spot them a mile away because they are generally very very loud.

Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wolf72
They tend to travel in pair's or wolf pack's.
Human beings are social creatures and most travelers tend to go in pairs or groups or families. Not sure how this specifically applies to Americans.
strickerj and fatmenace like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
As someone who mostly travels solo, at least when visiting Europe, I had the impression that Americans, and Anglos in general, were more likely to travel solo than most other nationalities. Whether staying in hostels or decent hotels I rarely ever encounter lone southern Europeans (they always seem to be couples or large groups) but plenty of north Europeans and people from the English-speaking countries. Maybe the latter are just more individualistic (not judging it positively or negatively) and less group-oriented than most other people in the world?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Human beings are social creatures and most travelers tend to go in pairs or groups or families. Not sure how this specifically applies to Americans.
My observations mate.

Last edited by wolf72; Sep 13, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I went on a tour in Western Australia. There was 20 of us. Me, and 9 couples....all Australian and this really cute French girl. From that sample size, I was able to draw the conclusion that Australians fear traveling in Western Australia alone. Interestingly enough, the French girl was able to conclude from her sample size that all American solo travelers are old gay men. Funny how that all works.
kellio33, emrdoc and Pocatello like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:36 pm

As a primarily solo US citizen traveler, I agree with the thread's title. Traveled to 52 countries and have run across very few solo US citizens. And my immediate family and most of my friends think I am nuts to travel solo.

I, for one, strongly prefer to travel solo. My timetable - do what I want when I want!
Bagette, nutwpinut, wolf72 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:22 pm

Well, I'm not in denial. I like to travel with someone else. I've obviously traveled and eaten by myself, but it's just not as much fun to me. So add me to OP's statistics.
bitterproffit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.