Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Ceres
While I will agree sometimes, Too many people don't do anything to prepare then expect others just to do for them. I took the Extra time to book an EB so I would have the seat that I wanted. As I stated, there were three ways they could've been sure they would sit together. They just figured the world would take care of them.
Do you still go by this mantra in IRROPS?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kipper
Generally not. If it's a short flight, and I'm feeling nice, perhaps. Otherwise, no.
Same here. And if the person asking is an a$$, it's definitely no.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Several years ago I had a last minute flight on LH, from FRA-ATL. Wound up way in the back, middle seat.

When I made my way to the seat there was an elderly couple, with one of them in my seat. The FA asked if I would mind moving forward to a window seat, which is what I prefer. OK, that is a win-win.

I get to my new seat and there sits a person with a boarding pass for that seat.

I continue to move forward, against the flow of boarding pax, to the boarding door, and tell the FA what has happened. She disappears and a couple minutes comes back to me with a new seat.

And that is how I flew my first long haul in J.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
My question is really long, so here's the full question:

"Would you switch a good seat for a worse seat if a mother asked you to accommodate her child to sit with her?"

I actually witnessed 2 cases in one trip recently. In both cases, the passenger who was asked was kind and gave up an aisle or window seat to sit in the middle in another row.

However, I did not like seeing how the women asked the passengers. They approached their "targets" in a demanding way, as if the passenger wouldn't be a good person if he/she were to decline the request.

One of them didn't even say "excuse me" or "please" in what I heard. She simply talked like she was a flight attendant, by saying that she "was trying to get two kids to sit together."

Fortunately, I wasn't asked. But, as I was sitting in my aisle seat in the crowded plane, I was wondering what I would have said. I was particularly tired with a back pain that day, so I didn't feel like moving as I was already settled. But, honestly, I would have agreed if the woman had asked nicely. I really didn't like the way she asked as if it was her right.

What do you all think?
I wouldn't give up my seat, wouldn't care what the woman thought of me and would give her a short sharp lesson in rudeness if she continued to bother me.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
It depends on the situation. As a parent I understand the predicament. That said, I probably wouldn't do it for a transcon or longer. I'd do it for a short flight up to a couple of hours. Rude people bother me, but I probably wouldn't let that color my decision.
+1

Recently I switched from an aisle to window on a five hour flight in first class, and my new seat mate made himself rather comfortable, with all his crap, on the floor. It would have made a lav break a hassle; he was whiny all during the flight to the FAs (may I have extra nut, may I have a full bottle of water to take with me, where is my sundae) and I didn't want to be a target. Never again. Two hours is the limit for me to go to a non aisle.

One time in QF premium economy, A380 upper deck, I scored the coveted exit row. Because the leg room was like 6 feet or so, I selected the window. The premium economy section was maybe 30 percent full. My seat mate decided to move to an empty row of seats in the middle section.

An FA comes by and asks me to switch so that a couple can sit together. I tell her I would be happy to switch to a seat in business class.

Miraculously the couple managed to find two seats together in the 70 percent empty premium economy.

Another time I was on UA in business class heading back to the USA from BRU. It was the PMUA 767 in a 2-2-2 config. As always I reserved the last row of business class in the center 2 section because 1., it is rear facing, and that way motion sickness weenies are less likely to select that seat, 2., no one climbs over me.

So the FA asks me to switch to an aisle seat that is not in the center two section, so that, get this, a family of four can be in the same row and can see each other. I say no. She persists. I tell her that if she is ordering me to move, I will, but if so, expect a customer service complaint as a result ( and I proceed to remove my phone from my holster). That ended that but the family glared at me the entire flight.

On the flip side, after flying BLR to LHR, I board LHR to DFW in AA business class. There's a kid in the window, me in the aisle. Her chaperone is several rows back. The chaperone checks up her several times during the flight, standing in my space. I am exhausted from the first long haul, and admittedly irritable. I ask the chaperone if she is going to keep doing this or should we trade seats (and at this point, even if it was a middle seat - old config AA business class - I would have moved due to exhaustion). She was angry, refused a trade, but that ended that. Seriously if you are uncomfortable putting your teenage girl next to an old man, don't do that.

Last edited by mre5765; Jan 5, 2015 at 6:06 am
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
A common topic in many of the airlines forums.

I wouldn't move. I booked my flight and based on where I'm flying, I chose my seats for the best view.
Would I switch a good seat for a worse seat? As my old boss used to say "the answer is 'money" now what was the question again?"
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
I'll trade for a similar seat, but never for something worse. I traded aisle for aisle in first class on an ORD-SFO on AA in November so a child could sit with a parent. I would not have traded aisle for a middle if I was back in coach for this 4.5 hour flight.

One trade request I do recall was years ago on the upper deck emergency exit row of a UA 747 to Australia. This row had double the legroom of any other row in that cabin. The passenger next to me asked me to swap with his wife a few rows ahead. I declined and noted I had booked this seat months out. I noticed he did not ask the person sitting next to his wife to swap with him - clearly he did not want to give up his premium seat.
i will always trade as long asI am still in an aisle seat--thats my only personal requirement. I have switched before but also believe that its ok to say no.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by Plato90s
"The airline charges $119 extra for this seat, I'll give it to you for $100"

"You don't love your kids enough to pay $100?"
Don't you mean $150? Supply and demand, my friend. The middle man has to make it worth his while, too.

That being said, as a mom of kids, my answer is MAYBE, leaning toward no. The reason I'm leaning toward no is because most of my flying is 10+ hour flights. I take very few short flights. On a short flight, I'd probably help out, but hell will freeze over before I'll get stuck in the middle for 10+ hours, especially since I travel with my own kids and move heaven and earth to make sure we're all together--choosing flights with enough seating assignments open; checking and re-checking; trying to avoid flights with the dreaded 3-seat configurations [we are a group of 4] whenever humanly possible [not always possible].

I've had some pretty audacious seat requests back in my more frequent flying days.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
If asked nicely, I usually try to be nice, almost always for flights under 4 hours. For long flights I rarely switch to a worse seat unless it's a young child situation.

I boarded and found someone in my aisle seat. She asked if I would mind taking her middle seat. No way! I was asked by a GA to switch seats with a tall guy (I had exit row), simply because he was tall (9 hour flight). Nope.

Otherwise, I do try to be nice.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:32 am

I have seen adults go bonkers when they couldn't sit together so watch out for mama bears.

Originally Posted by tcook052
It's one thing if a pax asks but quite another if an FA 'suggests' it on their behalf. I get that FA's are just trying to keep everyone happy but some FA's I've seen present the request in such a way as they don't expect you to answer with anything but a 'yes'.
I have been on both sides of this.

Once, we settled in the wrong row (I am embarrassed to this day because I was THAT person who didn't check their boarding passes) with our son, who was in a car seat, in a seat we purchased for him. When I discovered this error, the FA said "you aren't moving anywhere, they can move" and she instructed the three passengers displaced to "our" row. This was in coach, in normal seats (not E+ or an exit row) and our original row was the same as the one we poached.

Not a child but a person with a different set of needs - Just last year, it was strongly suggested to me by a FA in first that I switch seats with an obese elderly woman. I was annoyed (was having a very bad day) and sort of gave her a hard time about it. She explained that the woman was physically unable to maneuver in and out of the aisle seat. I did agree to move and apologized to both of them later on. (First world problems in first class, I know....)

Our child travels with us so I generally give parents a break. Our own family has displaced from carefully selected seats due to missed connections and equipment changes. Assuming one of us can sit with our son, we will switch for even-even seats and often do. Granted, this is in business or first so switching isn't a hardship.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K

a month ago I had a UA GA switch my FC seat to one a row back so a couple could sit together. I probably would have done it anyway, but was a bit shocked they just went ahead and did that
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: Lifemiles Diamond, AA Gold
I'll trade even if I get to a lesser seat if I see true need apart from when there is rudeness involved in which case I will just say "no thanks I'm good here" and move on, if there is a discussion I'm glad to just repeat I'm not going anywhere and it usually works.
Saw an interesting episode on an Avianca BOG-GRU a couple months back, I was in C and saw two folks that were married but sitting seperate as one of them got op-uped, purser allowed the lady that was sitting upfront to go back to Y and give the op-up to the husband seatmate, after the switch was completed she wen't back and told the other person that had already settled in to go back to Y after a lot of discussion they ended up all in economy and the business cabin had that seat open. I'd be very angry if I was in their position.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

We are generally willing to accommodate requests for switches although it does always seem that the switcher wants the better seat. I have always assumed that is because I obsess about getting what I think are the best seats and most normal people don't seem to bother until they are on board and realize that they have middle seats four rows apart.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Do you still go by this mantra in IRROPS?
No. If its a solid reason, I'll be nice and move. Usually it's not.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
If someone asks nicely I will probably move although there's too many variables to be 100% yes! I'm not sure I would take too kindly to someone sitting in my seat already or being demanding - I don't like to reward that sort of attitude.

I also believe that if you absolutely want/need to sit together (kids/parents) pay for it or make sure to check-in online as soon as possible.

Luckily the only time I've ever encountered this was a flight from LHR-YYC. The gate agent called me up to ask if I would move back about 10 rows or so (aisle for aisle) and I hesitated for a second or two and she quickly said 'you can say no'. I appreciated that (before boarding/no pressure). It wasn't a big deal so I did it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.