Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:24 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
OMG - you are correct and of course KTN, PSG, WRG too .
I don't know any of those. Lol

I worked in Juneau for a few months in 2010...I'll never forget how beautiful it was!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL FO
Just flew into Syd, beautiful view of Opera House, skyscrapers, cool bridge. Great view imo
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
NCE - alps, coastline and water
GIG - city & Guanabara Bay and the sugar loaf mountain
SXM - comming in over the water close to the beach, hills at the front
LGA - Hudson river/statue of liberty and the city view
GVA - lake, city and the Alps
GIB - a rock, water, Africa, Europe and lack of space all in one and watching the traffic waiting as you cross the road lol
EVE - beautiful artic landscape, fjords, mountains

Last edited by Grouchy; Oct 20, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM
SLC is great: I once flew in there just connecting, and I was so mesmerized by the scenery that I made a point to come back there and visit the city itself (which I did).

I like BOS: great view of Cape Cod and Boston Harbor. I love that you can see the entire state of Rhode Island, very recognizable because of its distinctive coastline, as you descend into Logan. It seems as if you're in RI airspace for, literally, 7 minutes (if that).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
Rare approach, but the right side of the plane at HNL when they are using 26R/26L....awesome view of Waikiki/hotels/Diamond Head.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12A405 Safari/600.1.4)

No votes for SLC?
SLC, always from the south, it seems. The mountains are nice, but it's very industrial right by the airport...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:34 pm
Taz

Programs: DL PM
My personal favorite is the view of St. Armands, Siesta Key, Longboat Key and Anna Maria Island on departure out of SRQ.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
SLC, always from the south, it seems. The mountains are nice, but it's very industrial right by the airport...
IME flying into SLC, there is always a nice view of downtown and Temple Square out the port side, as well as the mountains behind.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: DM MM
One of my favorite takeoff and landing combo's is LAX to HNL, great view of Catalina and up the coastline and then on a clear day seeing the islands appear and then the standard approach around Diamond Head, Waikiki Beach and then hard bank and over Pearl Harbor.

Votes for SYD, SEA, LGA, DCA and LAS, those cities I go for the window seat.

Had a neat one a month ago at BUF, beautiful sunny day, fall colors starting and we got put in a hold pattern, don’t know how the pilot got clearance but we circled Niagara Falls 4 times, 2 for each side of the plane with hard banked turns so that you looked straight down on them, was a neat experience.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Your home airport after a long trip is always the best view.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Sydney

LGA

PEK (I am kidding...)

Last edited by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll; Oct 20, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by squatch
the approach will occasionally be up the hudson, so the right side view is insane... it almost looks like you could touch the top of the skyline.
I agree. Also, it can be really spectacular on a clear evening.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I like PWM when you are coming in from the water. It's a classic New England scene.

The approach to SEA with Puget Sound and the Cascades is awesome on a sunny day.

I like approaching SLC when you are either coming from the east over the Wasatch range or the west when you can see the huge copper mine.

LGA was really cool when we went over the Hudson and made a left over the East River and you got a view of the lower Manhattan sky scrapers from above.

EYW was fun with the keys and the shallow turquoise water around the keys.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
No argument with LGA for city-scapes. Also like HKG, especially when lit up at night.

SJO (San Jose Costa Rica) works for me on DL metal.

If we allow non DL, I will take HKT (Phuket) when you get a good view.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Smile LHR / London Heathrow

For LHR, when on approach in from the east, it's typically best to sit on the right side (if facing forward).

On a clear day you can see many popular sites and get a great view of the Thames. I have many photos from this arrival pattern.

Depending on the departure runway (27L), if taking off to the west, you can get a great view of Windsor Castle.

If on approach from the West, you might see Windsor, but I find it far more boring.

Last edited by rwoman; Oct 20, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.