Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Grouchy
NCE - alps, coastline and water
GIG - city & Guanabara Bay and the sugar loaf mountain
SXM - comming in over the water close to the beach, hills at the front
LGA - Hudson river/statue of liberty and the city view
GVA - lake, city and the Alps
GIB - a rock, water, Africa, Europe and lack of space all in one and watching the traffic waiting as you cross the road lol
EVE - beautiful artic landscape, fjords, mountains
Watching landings at SXM beats doing it. And if you are an airport landing afficiando, nothing like SAB.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Esltroy
JAC Jackson Hole, WY with its breathtaking views, herds of antelope, and bison
+1 for the only commercial airport in America inside a national park. Always sit on the right for the best chance of Teton views on the approach.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL,Hilton
I have always been partial to BTV...come in over the Adirondacks, then low over the lake with Burlington on your right.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
MFN (Milford Sound) was pretty darn nice. No Delta
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
OMG - you are correct and of course KTN, PSG, WRG too .
Originally Posted by 355F1
I don't know any of those. Lol

I worked in Juneau for a few months in 2010...I'll never forget how beautiful it was!
When I flew into Juneau it was from SEA via KTN, PSG, WRG on the milk run. That whole inside passage of Alaska is incredible. ^
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that's one of my bucket list flights

I've been a fan of the river approach to Runway 19 at DCA since the first time I experienced it at night (from a Mohawk BAC 1-11 in Nov 1972; I took a manual time exposure of 8-10 seconds while trying to keep the Washington Monument in one place in the viewfinder)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
IME flying into SLC, there is always a nice view of downtown and Temple Square out the port side, as well as the mountains behind.
Yes, the temple is fairly nice. You get the West Jordan Temple to the West (left) on approach. Yes, I'm from SLC.

Love this thread, btw, this is why Flyertalk is excellent. Kudos OP!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DCA is my favorite but it's my home airport I used to fly out of for 20 years.....you can't beat the left side view flying over Key Bridge
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by orca15
MFN (Milford Sound) was pretty darn nice. No Delta
I got to MFN on the Milford Track. What an amazing place. I liked ZQN when I flew out of there.

Also, IGR was a nice approach when you see the falls out the windows.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Agree on DCA river approach and the old Hong Kong for good approaches flight wise.

Also love the approach to SCL with the Andes in view, snow covered in August when flying from summer in ATL to go skiing...but that's purely sentimental since I met MrWeezer in the parking lot at SCL.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Note: I put "Delta" in the title in order to keep this in the Delta forum. Hopefully that is ok.
I am not sure why you would want to keep a topic like this confined to the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum when you could share it with other FlyerTalk members from around the world who might be able to contribute airports to this discussion which are not served by Delta Air Lines.

The new home for this discussion is now the TravelBuzz forum; but with a “re-direct” to stay in the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum for a month.

Please do not take this as a punitive action; rather, let us get some more traffic for this topic.

In fact, I might nominate this discussion for the TalkMail newsletter. I happen to know one particular person who is closely associated with it...

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Ok, so I had the pleasure of sitting next to VegasJosh on a flight yesterday from ATL-PWM. Small world, he's the only person I've "friended" here on flyertalk and what do you know, we ended up next to each other.

We got chatting and he mentioned the approach to PWM (Portland, Maine) has the best views out of anywhere in the world. He flies a lot more than I do and my experience is limited but I have to agree with him about Portland. We thought we would throw the question out to other seasoned flyers.

What airport do you feel has the best views upon final approach? Seems tough to beat Portland, that picturesque ocean view with all of the Casco Bay Islands, not to mention this time of the year as the foliage is changing.

Note: I put "Delta" in the title in order to keep this in the Delta forum. Hopefully that is ok.
The old Hong Kong airport where you had to fly in between buildings to land.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: Skyteam
DTW, home baby!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL Gold
LGA truly is awesome for the Manhattan views. Love SEA. In fact, the whole of the approach to SEA from the east is great, coming over the Cascades from the arid east side to the lush green west.

MSO from the SE over the mountain is good too. When my parents were alive I loved the nighttime approach to PHL landing towards the west on an eastbound flight. The planes would come in over center city and make a pirouette around city hall before lining up for the runway. Finally, HII (Lake Havasu City) is good for old-fashioned stick-and-rudder flying, with the pilots doing a downwind leg then a 180 with the right wing pointing to the rocks below before lining up for runway 32.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
DTW, home baby!
Won't argue with that. I love picking out the freeways and mile roads, seeing the Ford complex, then coming in over I-94 for the landing. As someone upthread said, the best landing view is when you're coming home. I had the same feeling landing at NRT when I lived in Japan, and the landings at NRT are the most boring in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.