FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What airport has the best view upon approach/landing? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1622030-what-airport-has-best-view-upon-approach-landing.html)

JayTeaBee Oct 20, 2014 12:39 pm

What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

Ok, so I had the pleasure of sitting next to VegasJosh on a flight yesterday from ATL-PWM. Small world, he's the only person I've "friended" here on flyertalk and what do you know, we ended up next to each other.

We got chatting and he mentioned the approach to PWM (Portland, Maine) has the best views out of anywhere in the world. He flies a lot more than I do and my experience is limited but I have to agree with him about Portland. We thought we would throw the question out to other seasoned flyers.

What airport do you feel has the best views upon final approach? Seems tough to beat Portland, that picturesque ocean view with all of the Casco Bay Islands, not to mention this time of the year as the foliage is changing.

Note: I put "Delta" in the title in order to keep this in the Delta forum. Hopefully that is ok.

GRALISTAIR Oct 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee (Post 23706455)
Ok, so I had the pleasure of sitting next to VegasJosh on a flight yesterday from ATL-PWM. Small world,

We got chatting and he mentioned the approach to PWM (Portland, Maine) has the best views out of anywhere in the world.

OMG small world indeed. Took ATL-PWM Friday evening. Sunday morning did PWM-DTW.

Yes PWM is wonderful.

EZEDoesIt Oct 20, 2014 12:53 pm

PDX approach is great, especially if you're coming in from the north.

I also like CPH as you often get a great view of the Øresundsbron.

TTT Oct 20, 2014 12:54 pm

There are lots out there. Here are a few of my favorites.

Seattle is beautiful with Puget Sound and Mt. Rainier in the distance.
Anchorage is incredible for the ocean and the Chugach Mountains inland.
Many of the western Montana airports (FCA, BTM, MSO, BZN) have very pretty approaches as you descend over the Rocky Mountains.
I like LAX when approaching from the west, especially early in the morning. If you are looking north you get cool views of the Channel Islands. If you are looking south neat views of Catalina Island and Long Beach. Even more fun if they are landing from the west as they sometimes do in the mornings.
Zurich is also pretty impressive with the Alps all around.
Sydney is iconic with great views of the coast and the famous landmarks.

CabinCaptive Oct 20, 2014 12:55 pm

LGA -- especially coming from the south with Manhattan's skyscrapers just out the left window.

RRDD Oct 20, 2014 12:57 pm

The approach to LGA can't be beat for views. Make sure you have a window seat on the left side.

squatch Oct 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by RRDD (Post 23706574)
The approach to LGA can't be beat for views. Make sure you have a window seat on the left side.

the approach will occasionally be up the hudson, so the right side view is insane... it almost looks like you could touch the top of the skyline.

GRALISTAIR Oct 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive (Post 23706565)
LGA -- especially coming from the south with Manhattan's skyscrapers just out the left window.

+1 - even the northerly approach into EWR on a TATL for example, seeing the Manhattan skyline always fills me with awe.

Adelphos Oct 20, 2014 1:05 pm

As mentioned before,

1) LGA coming up the East River and sitting on left side - even more impressive now as the World Trade area is rebuilt

2) LGA coming up the Hudson River and sitting on the right side - you fly over the buildings on the West side

suvayanr Oct 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Delta: What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

Flying in and out of NCE is also beautiful :)

lbcnu Oct 20, 2014 1:05 pm

My vote is SFO without any fog!

krlcomm Oct 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive (Post 23706565)

+1 Love the view of Manhattan...

MrHalliday Oct 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Kai Tak !! :)

Pathfinder813 Oct 20, 2014 1:07 pm

If you like city views, I think some of the approaches into LGA (specifically the Expressway approach) provides great views of the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan if you're sitting on the port side of the aircraft.

DCA's River approach also has amazing views of Washington, DC's monuments.

Both of these are my favorite. Fantastic view and a pretty fun landing with the aircraft flying left and right. :D

baccarat0809 Oct 20, 2014 1:08 pm

HKG is my favorite