Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What airport has the best view upon approach/landing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
like this?
(obviously lifted from Gary Larson's "The Far Side")
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
SAN is a great one as long as you're on the A side. A beautiful view of downtown and the coast before landing.

LGA as well if you get the right approach, again be on the A side.

DCA if you get to fly over the Mall is decent, though not as good as the top two.

ORD and MDW if you can get an approach over Chicago, with ORD you need to be on the A side, with MDW it's the F side.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:49 pm

ANC at dusk was pretty dramatic.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
So on topic, the approach into Bora Bora (BOB) is pretty darn spectacular, as is Grand Junction, CO (GJT).
I haven't had the pleasure of flying into GJT (just driving), but flying into Telluride, CO (TEX) is quite nice: mountains extremely close on the final approach. The airport has a video (3 minutes, ground cameras only, http://www.tellurideairport.com/). Unfortunately, I'm not sure that TEX is open any longer to commercial service.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I always like the approach to PHL at night from the north. I choose the F seat coming home at night whenever I can. Great view of the lit city skyline, and an extra bonus if there is a Phillies or Eagles game going on.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eye of Storm
...Unfortunately, I'm not sure that TEX is open any longer to commercial service.
Great Lakes still has service
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I don't think they actually do, despite the listing you found at the Telluride airport website. On the Great Lakes website (http://flygreatlakes.com), searching for any itineraries to TEX (e.g., DEN-TEX) returns only "flight not available on selected date". Searching on United gives "we could not process your request" (one could previously book on Great Lakes through United).

More definitively, the Telluride visitor's webpage says this:

Originally Posted by Telluride visitor's webpage
Telluride Regional Airport (TEX) is a general aviation airport with no commercial service at this time.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:58 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My bad, then. Sorry. Always sort of amazing when such websites can't manage to pull no-longer-accurate webpages.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
My bad, then. Sorry. Always sort of amazing when such websites can't manage to pull no-longer-accurate webpages.
No problem I was at TEX in July; the staff mentioned the upcoming loss of commercial service, but I didn't know at the time if it was merely a rumor. It was clear that they weren't happy about it. Perhaps they have left the flight schedule online in protest, although a rather confusing one for the general public. More likely, whoever is in charge of their website simply didn't care enough to pull the page.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: *G
Did anyone say HNL going past Diamond Head yet?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:17 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
I like RKD, though on a clear day just about the entire flight from BOS is your "approach". Maine coast is amazing from above.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
My two favorite landings for view are Seattle International and OGG (Maui). Maui is obvious as to why it's beautiful for a landing (or takeoff, but that is sad for me).

Seattle is gorgeous from the air with all of the pine trees, and Mount Rainier is really impressive.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If it's a clear day, LAX can be fun. Coming over the desert then watching it turn green, then Downtown off to your right with perhaps another plane doing the parallel landing with you.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
LAX - because it's home and I love picking out landmarks, checking traffic on the 405 for the drive home. During the winter or Santa Anas, it's beautifully clear as you approach from the desert, flying over the 10 or the 60

SFO - I find it great but much better on takeoff than approach. Love when I can see Berkeley and the campus landmarks.

LHR - Like the view out the right when approaching from the east - all the touristy landmarks are great.

AEP - Great view of Buenos Aires
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
BRR is a special airport for many reasons, its approach being one of them. Even on a rainy day, was worth the $300 r/t from GLA to get there for a quick overnight side trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lt4mfBoqY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.