Prefer right or left side of the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prefer right or left side of the plane?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2013, 10:49 am
Suspended

I don't care between the left or right side, but for my flights, I have an extremely strong preference for the inside of the plane relative to the outside.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:15 pm

From a widow seat point of view, when flying into LHR from the east, the right starboard side gives a lovely view of London City and the Thames and a higher view of the new Shard building below. (That's 25.00 saved if you are that way inclined.)
Old May 25, 2013, 10:16 pm

Right side. I thought I didn't have a preference and once sat on the left side. Well, I do most definitely have a preference. It just felt....not right.
Old May 26, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: A3*, A-Club PLT, AA PLT, Hilton PLT, Avis PLT, AR PLT
Right Side window.

I usually have a GPS watch for recording my flights on my right arm and thus it is best for me (GPSs are RECEIVERS only as such don't cause airplanes to crash. not that cell phones do...)
Old May 26, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Pidge
Right side. I thought I didn't have a preference and once sat on the left side. Well, I do most definitely have a preference. It just felt....not right.
This is my nominee for FT post of the year thanks for laugh!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
On some planes it does make a difference. On the AA MD-80 in First, the EF side has slightly more legroom than the AB side due to the positions of the bulkhead.

Also, flying into certain cities like PHX, SAN and LGA I prefer the AB side for the view while flying out of JFK I prefer the EF/HJ side for the same reason. It all depends though, usually I just look for the seat I want (e.g. exit row window, closest window to the front) and take that no matter what side it's on.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
For me, irrespective of airline, plane or class it's always a right side window for some reason.

If I'm in Y that's definitely the only way I can get any sleep, with J or F I can obviously still sleep but it's just a personal preference.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Left - 2A or 3A are perfect
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by lyrastar
I just prefer window, either side. But this thread did make me go check my flight into LGA later this month so see what view I'd see on the way in (I'm on the right side so hopefully can see the skyline)!
In my experience, the best skyline view is a left-side window seat on the inbound flight, however I've always flown in on Delta from the west.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
I wonder if anyone's done any psychological study on this. I'm a left side window kind of guy myself. Right-handed.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:12 pm

left side, right handed.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i did not see mention of POSH, which i follow.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest / Marriott Rewards / Delta Skymiles
never thought about it before, but i always choose the right side of the plane.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.003008 MM
Originally Posted by slawecki
i did not see mention of POSH, which i follow.
I was thinking the same thing. I try to keep it POSH, but only if I can get windows. For those that don't know one meaning of posh is Port Out, Starboard Home.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:47 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I'm an aisle seat traveler, but when the aisle seat is also a window, or when the flight is rather empty, I'd like to be privy to knowing which side will have the photogenic views.

This year, I got a couple of good shots (the scene more than the photo, perhaps), but I like walking about the cabin as well, so it's generally a given that an aisle seat is preferred.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.