Reload this Page >

Prefer right or left side of the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prefer right or left side of the plane?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 11:33 am

Doesn't matter to me, but window seat as long as I'm not staring at the wing the entire flight.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
You forgot sexual orientation.
^^
Old May 15, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Left handed so I'm a right side aisle seat sitter. Plus my knees seem to work better at getting me out of the seat when I'm sitting on the right side.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I have a bad right eye, so if I have a window seat, I prefer a left side so that I can see with my left eye. But I have a bad left knee that doesn't bend well, so if I have an aisle seat, I prefer a right side so that my left leg can stretch a little into the aisle.
Old May 15, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Always right side of the plane for me when going (and returning)TATL, But I'll often book left side for onward US domestics.

No reason just habit!

I've booked 16 people LHR-Maui for a wedding next year with miles or cash on many different flights. All are right side for the TATLs
Old May 15, 2013, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Coach flight, sold-out: left-side aisle.
Coach flight, lightly loaded: wherever I think there will be an empty middle, but aisle if possible.

Premium cabin: always window. If it's a J configuration that spans a couple subcabins, then I want to be in the smaller subcabin. Upstairs on the UA 744, left side on the AC 767, always Row 8 on the old UA 777 configuration, in the nose of the 744 for airlines who have J downstairs (LH). But no matter what, I want window in J/F.

If I was looking at a truly empty cabin with everything else being equal, I might try to anticipate the view at departure and/or approach. But in reality this usually isn't an issue because at least some of my desired seats are already taken...
Old May 15, 2013, 8:05 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Left, window. Not to mention that there are also favorite left-window seats on each sector/plane/airline I fly frequently. But always left-window, if I can help it.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Window: I want to see the outside
Left: don't know why. Maybe shorter walking distance to the seat in widebody AC?
Old May 16, 2013, 10:23 am

On widebody planes I almost always prefer left side window. I think it's because I can get off the plane more quickly. On narrow body planes I typically select the right side aisle.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Left side aisle.
It must be a right-handed thing, as alluded to by other posters. Keep your sword hand free and all that.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:16 am

Always left side aisle for me, I tend to get cramp in my right leg so I like to be able to stretch my leg into the aisle if necessary.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS
I prefer windows. If I'm connecting, I like to alternate sides so that I don't have my neck in the same position the whole time.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Funny I've never really thought about it. I go for windows on red-eyes and aisles otherwise, and typically pick whichever side of the plane has a seat closer to the front. All this assumes symmetry, though. Of course I'd grab left side before right of row 1 of a UA 752, or right side before left of an AA mad dog
Old May 16, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
For some reason I have a better chance of getting at least some sleep if on a window seat on the left side. FWIW, am right-handed/footed.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Emma1420:20761217
On widebody planes I almost always prefer left side window. I think it's because I can get off the plane more quickly. On narrow body planes I typically select the right side aisle.
My experience is that the right side empties faster. I've attributed there to multiple paths to door from right (cut across row1 / go behind bulkhead). This leads to alternating merges at door and the left side gets 1/3 of the merges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.