Prefer right or left side of the plane?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Right side aisle, always. Don't feel comfortable on the left; don't know why
Me too. Exact same thing.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by MSchott
Left side aisle. Mainly because I am right handed and for the easy aisle access.
What they said.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:50 pm

Transatlantic flight Europe-USA I would recommend the right side, away from the more intense sun light.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Originally Posted by SpewyMcSpew
Transatlantic flight Europe-USA I would recommend the right side, away from the more intense sun light.
Interesting first post---welcome to FlyerTalk!

And I agree: I usually pick a window opposite to the sun to avoid the light and get better view. As in the above example, it's not a trivial decision (not always the north side even in the northern hemisphere) because it depends on the time and season.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
No preference by day but by night window on the left hand side as that offers best chance of getting to sleep. (and i'm right handed too)
Old May 17, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: Won Kay
Especially on long haul TPACs or TLANTs, I try and sit on the North side to avoid direct sunlight -- I prefer to keep the shade UP.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Welcome to FT!

Depends, on short haul flights usually left side, long haul usually right side. Don't really know why
Old May 17, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by JMN57
My experience is that the right side empties faster. I've attributed there to multiple paths to door from right (cut across row1 / go behind bulkhead). This leads to alternating merges at door and the left side gets 1/3 of the merges.
I agree. Most of my flights to Asia in wide bodies I see the right side empty faster.
Old May 17, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by MtRoot
Interesting first post---welcome to FlyerTalk!

And I agree: I usually pick a window opposite to the sun to avoid the light and get better view. As in the above example, it's not a trivial decision (not always the north side even in the northern hemisphere) because it depends on the time and season.
Thanks!

I flew a few weeks back MUC-LAX and there was a very strong head wind so our route went more north than normal over Greenland, which resulted in the left side of the plane being more hot and uncomfortable than the right side. I even kept the window shade closed the entire flight but still was hot most of the flight. Unfortunately in business class (brag) on this A340-600 there were no individual air nozzles. The LH staff did keep me well hydrated though ;-)
Old May 17, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by ronefatone
- direction of travel - this is my biggest one for me - if I'm taking a morning flight leaving from say ATL and going to SFO, I'm taking the left side so the sun isn't blinding me the whole way!
+1
Old May 17, 2013, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I am indifferent. I look for open seats surrounding mine before worrying about which side of the plane I am on.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:45 am

i prefer windows, and whenever possible i choose the side facing away from the sun.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:47 pm

I am incredibly short and slim, and I'm lucky enough to be blessed with the ability to fall asleep anywhere, so I don't care where I sit. I'll even take a middle seat.

My husband is incredibly tall, and he prefers aisle seats, but doesn't have a conscious preference for which side. I have noticed that when we fly somewhere without reserved seating, we tend to sit on the right side of the plane - but I can't be sure whether that's because of an unconscious preference, or because we board late and that's all that's left.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:22 pm

Left side but only because I have this weird thing about everything being on the left.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
I'm right handed but mouse/track-pad with my left hand, so right side aisle or left side window ... so I don't accidently poke anyone with my elbow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.