Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I second pseudoswede's remarks. So cool!
Old May 11, 2016, 8:57 am

Many thanks for desktop app

Just released for desktop

https://www.whatsapp.com/download/

Unfortunately my circa MB is running 10.8.x
Old May 11, 2016, 9:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Indeed, thank you very much for the MacOS application too.

Originally Posted by dtsm
Just released for desktop

https://www.whatsapp.com/download/

Unfortunately my circa MB is running 10.8.x
I've been using it since at least last night on my Macs. And it works well enough, much like whatsapp web but better for me. Now only if there were just as straight forward way to use it on all iPads.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Glad I found this thread so I can add my thanks to OP too ^^
Old May 11, 2016, 12:39 pm

Whatsapp kept our family members connected in 5 continents daily. We don't have family members in Africa or Antarctica ..yet...

We do have to silence the app because none of us want to wake up in the middle of the night by the group chat on the other side of the world. Reading them in the morning is just as good.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed, thank you very much for the MacOS application too.

I've been using it since at least last night on my Macs. And it works well enough, much like whatsapp web but better for me. Now only if there were just as straight forward way to use it on all iPads.
I do sort of wish that the desktop application version of WhatsApp didn't require the WhatsApp phone app to be connected to the internet for the desktop application to work for receiving and sending.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:44 am

OT but I've found that whatsapp and other apps like Line and weChat call quality has improved greatly.

And for some reason all three apps connect much better than Skype. The latter -- when making calls skype to skype often fail to connect and requires reconnecting several times.

Anyone have similar issues with skype?
Old May 12, 2016, 12:01 pm

I do sort of wish that the desktop application version of WhatsApp didn't require the WhatsApp phone app to be connected to the internet for the desktop application to work for receiving and sending.
I am a little confused ,

Do you mean that the smartphone has to be with you when you are using WhatsApp on your desktop computer ?

Or that the first sign up to WhatsApp has to be with a smartphone ?

Thanks for helping me sort that out .....
Old May 12, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I am a little confused ,

Do you mean that the smartphone has to be with you when you are using WhatsApp on your desktop computer ?

Or that the first sign up to WhatsApp has to be with a smartphone ?

Thanks for helping me sort that out .....
yes and yes

the desktop app simply uses your phone as the slave device to send/receive and doesn't actually send or receive anything other than through the phone.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by richard
yes and yes

the desktop app simply uses your phone as the slave device to send/receive and doesn't actually send or receive anything other than through the phone.
OK.....that seems like a backwards way of doing it since it seems to only help you use a better Mic or speaker on your Desktop.

But hey they are the smart guys who got Billions !
Old May 12, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Need
Whatsapp kept our family members connected in 5 continents daily. We don't have family members in Africa or Antarctica ..yet...

We do have to silence the app because none of us want to wake up in the middle of the night by the group chat on the other side of the world. Reading them in the morning is just as good.
+1 ..ESPECIALLY on silencing the app.. but it's our lifeline
Old May 13, 2016, 12:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
OK.....that seems like a backwards way of doing it since it seems to only help you use a better Mic or speaker on your Desktop.

But hey they are the smart guys who got Billions !
The reason I like using whatsapp on my computers is because I am old school in my keyboard preference and because I don't have to pick up my phone as much while on the computer. It saves me a bit of time without being as disruptive to my flow of doing things at times. But that was already possible with whatsapp web (via the browser).

I am curious why they won't allow the Whatsapp desktop application to remain connected and running without the phone app once the desktop application is set up and running. Perhaps that is the next phase? I would welcome that.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 13, 2016 at 2:02 am
Old May 13, 2016, 1:01 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
I've gone back to the Web app, since it has notifications! When the Desktop app has that, I wouldn't mind switching back.

Not yet clear on the benefits of the desktop app versus the web app though.
Old May 13, 2016, 2:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JK
I've gone back to the Web app, since it has notifications! When the Desktop app has that, I wouldn't mind switching back.

Not yet clear on the benefits of the desktop app versus the web app though.
The Desktop app does have notifications of sorts.

Isn't one of the benefits of the desktop app over the browser use is that you can read your whatsapp messages offline on your computer as long as you've left the application open after doing the phone app QR scan thing?

I find that sometimes internet browsers stall/crash in ways that don't happen with downloaded messaging applications. That may be an upside of using the desktop application, but I'm not sure about this part of it yet.
Old May 13, 2016, 3:21 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
The Desktop app does have notifications of sorts.

Isn't one of the benefits of the desktop app over the browser use is that you can read your whatsapp messages offline on your computer as long as you've left the application open after doing the phone app QR scan thing?

I find that sometimes internet browsers stall/crash in ways that don't happen with downloaded messaging applications. That may be an upside of using the desktop application, but I'm not sure about this part of it yet.
I accept that the desktop app is likely to be a little more stable than the web app - no disagreement there. That said, I've barely had any issues with the web app (in Chrome)...

Re notifications on the desktop app - I haven't seen any (Windows PC)!? Went through all the menus to see if there was a setting, but nadda. I get a sound, but that's it. The icon doesn't change colour, or flash, nor do I get a pop-up... With the web app, you get the sound and the little toast pop-up in the corner, so I can glance at the message and decide whether I need to check it or not. Critical for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.