Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by arjunrc
Yup. In another thread I posted what I plan to use as my charging configuration.
I'm wondering if it will benefit replacing my skiva with the anker or mono price. They seem to have more wattage. My iPad mini retina takes a long time to juice up.

Here is my config (proposed) - I haven't yet purchased the 3 outlet splitter

keep me(us) posted on what you get, we have very similar setups
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:09 pm

@arjunrc - I keep this swivel slim 4 outlet from Japan in my kit
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B...=AN1VRQENFRJN5

I'm not sure I'd use it for 220V since it is only rated for 125V. I have a wider swivel 3 port one which tends to block ports when plugged into desks that had a side by side ( like "|| ||") configuration. The wider 3 port had a fuse inside, I think, which is why I don't want to try the 4 port in 220V. The GE 3 has a surge protector and is grounded so might not be the best to fit into Kikkerland w/ 220V?

The Kikkerland packs down nicely but I usually pack an additional WonPro grounded adapter with two outlets. There is a WonPro universal cube adapter with two outlets, too, that I might sub in for a grounded region specific adapter. http://www.110220volts.com/WAT-Nano.html eBay also has some Apple compatible outlet adapters (figure 8 C7 duck head with the small cutout for a pin) if you normally visit specific countries.

Last edited by freecia; Mar 18, 2014 at 10:43 pm
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
@arjunrc - I keep this swivel slim 4 outlet from Japan in my kit
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B...=AN1VRQENFRJN5
I'm not sure I'd use it for 220V since it is only rated for 125V. I have a wider swivel 3 port one which tends to block ports when plugged into desks that had a side by side ( like "|| ||") configuration. The wider 3 port had a fuse inside, I think, which is why I don't want to try the 4 port in 220V.

Thanks Freecia. So it seems japanese sites have all the cool micro gizmos
I think I'm going to then just buy a few of those 3 prong splitters from rakuten and bite the shipping cost being 4x the product ;-)

The GE 3 has a surge protector and is grounded so might not be the best to fit into Kikkerland w/ 220V?
Hmm, I did not notice it has a surge protector. I am referring to this product. I don't see there is surge protection. If it does have it, I won't buy it for sure. Right now I am leaning more towards that rakuten splitter. Seems to be a pure pass thru and is slightly smaller than the 4 pronged version you list above but essentially the same.

The Kikkerland packs down nicely but I usually pack an additional WonPro grounded adapter with two outlets. There is a WonPro universal cube adapter with two outlets, too, that I might sub in for a grounded region specific adapter. http://www.110220volts.com/WAT-Nano.html eBay also has some Apple compatible outlet adapters (figure 8 C7 duck head with the small cutout for a pin) if you normally visit specific countries.
One of the _huge_ advantages I found with the kikkerland is I can change the distance between the prongs by pressing on the yellow button on the side. I've needed this in my recent EU trip and sometimes in India as well. I don't feel confident of using an adapter that does not have this feature. Do you know if a similar sized WAT-Nano product where the prongs support this feature (for the circular prongs)
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've lightened up quite a bit in the last year. I don't travel with my work laptop anymore (a fairly thin/light Dell 12" Ultrabook) and instead bring my Asus T100 Windows 8.1 Tablet & Keyboard dock (basically a netbook when docked). The battery gets a solid 8 hours, I can run full Office, and don't get hassled with it undocked during takeoff/landing. The keyboard is a bit cramped but I can make due. I've thought about upgrading to an original Suface, but I don't know if I want the uncertainty of typing on the Touch Cover and don't want the combined thickness/weight of the Type cover. I've also thought about a smaller Win8 tablet (Dell Venue 8 Pro) and keeping my work laptop in my main carry-on (TravelPro Crew 9 20" w/ laptop compartment) but it seems wasteful to carry 2 devices with so much overlap in capability (even if not in form factor).

Accessories are minimized as well including:

PowerGen 3.4A Dual-USB Charger
2 x Retractable USB Micro Cables
Microsoft ARC Travel Mouse
Mini 3-Port USB Hub
Spare Galaxy S4 Battery
Linksys Travel Router (only if I know ahead of time I'll need it)

All of the above fits in an old AA Business Class amenity kit pouch easily.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:56 pm

Hmm, I did not notice it has a surge protector. I am referring to this product. I don't see there is surge protection. If it does have it, I won't buy it for sure.
Ah. I was thinking of this 3 port outlet tap
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-3-Outl...4704/202203597

I too have found the squeeze function saved me once or twice. I think WonPro tries to get around it with the weird extender which is somewhat flexible? From this site, I think most Euro plugs are 19mm apart. The prongs can be 4.0 or 4.8mm in diameter.
http://fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/Europlug1.html
http://www.fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/Schuko1.html

They have a nice European country chart on which plugs are compatible with which outlets
http://www.fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/Eu...gsSockets.html

India uses a few different widths between prongs? Those who travel to India should probably bring the Kikkerland.
http://www.fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/OldBritish1.html

Last edited by freecia; Mar 19, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
India uses a few different widths between prongs? Those who travel to India should probably bring the Kikkerland.
Maybe not - maybe its a QC issue - my experience has been that not all wall sockets adhere to the exact guidelines. I've seen this to differ occasionally. The kikkerland helps when I need to reduce size, but I've come across some situations when the sockets are just a tad too apart (and they are not 15amp sockets). Fortunately, I haven't seen that re-occur in the last 4-5 years.

Last edited by arjunrc; Mar 20, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ck777
Arjunrc - My laptop is a no frills HP G42...nothing special. I've started using it on work trips because the work laptop is enormous and clunky. Honestly, I haven't researched power cords that much but it would be great to cut some of the weight.
http://www.fsplifestyle.com/product.php?LID=1&PSN=771
Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Also, http://dx.com/p/mini-worldwide-power...8#.UysJgXWLdfE is cheaper than the Kikkerland.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold

Thank you!! Now, I wish I had time to get it for my trip to South Africa tomorrow. Next time....
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for chiming in IsleOfMan. Dark secret revealed: I've often wondered what it would be like if I put my fanboyism of apple aside and actually owned a surface pro. It seems like a good productive platform, but everytime I think about it, I read about people trashing it, which I find odd, but just gives me another reason not to venture of of the Great Closed Fortress of Apple.

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I've lightened up quite a bit in the last year. I don't travel with my work laptop anymore (a fairly thin/light Dell 12" Ultrabook) and instead bring my Asus T100 Windows 8.1 Tablet & Keyboard dock (basically a netbook when docked). The battery gets a solid 8 hours, I can run full Office, and don't get hassled with it undocked during takeoff/landing. The keyboard is a bit cramped but I can make due. I've thought about upgrading to an original Suface, but I don't know if I want the uncertainty of typing on the Touch Cover and don't want the combined thickness/weight of the Type cover. I've also thought about a smaller Win8 tablet (Dell Venue 8 Pro) and keeping my work laptop in my main carry-on (TravelPro Crew 9 20" w/ laptop compartment) but it seems wasteful to carry 2 devices with so much overlap in capability (even if not in form factor).

Mini 3-Port USB Hub
Spare Galaxy S4 Battery

Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boltjames

I recommend that anyone interested in adapters goes the a-la carte route.

For what you'll spend on 1 convoluted 'all in one' adapter you can get multiples of the individual adapters you use in the countries you travel to the most.

For me, the Hong Kong/UK and Europe adapters are the only ones I've ever needed (Chinese hotels have the HK outlets too) so I purchased 3 adapters for each of those 2 countries and I'm all set. Better than a bulky all-in-one which only gives you a single adapter for the country you're in and almost always is too heavy to remain in the wall anyway.

BJ
YMMV, but BoltJames, I can tell you've never seen or used a Kikkerland adapter. It's flat - about 1cm (half-an-inch) thick, works in every outlet I've ever run across, and it cost me around $2 on e-Bay.

STRONG recommend. SO much easier, cheaper, and less bulky than 'ala carte.'
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
YMMV, but BoltJames, I can tell you've never seen or used a Kikkerland adapter. It's flat - about 1cm (half-an-inch) thick, works in every outlet I've ever run across, and it cost me around $2 on e-Bay.

STRONG recommend. SO much easier, cheaper, and less bulky than 'ala carte.'
1. My Sony Vaio notebook is a 3 prong outlet; this adapter is only 2 prong.

2. Like all "universal all in one" designs, this one is too long, the weight of my power cables drags it down slowly and pulls it out of the socket, usually overnight when I'm asleep and can't notice it.

3. In all instances, I need 2 or 3 adapters in a typical hotel room and don't want to carry around all the bulk or complexity of the other countries I'll never visit.

So from a function (prongs), size (length), dependability (falls out), and price standpoint the Kikkerland is another all-in-one that falls short.

BJ
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by boltjames

Here goes, after 20 years of domestic and international travel, here are my essentials:

D. Mini Massager - A great conversation starter to lie on the tray table next to the $1,000 cash if the person sitting next to you is an attractive female.
Hi BJ, thanks for the very entertaining post. It sometimes gets a little hard to decipher what you actually believe in and what you are kidding about

Just one question:

That Massager - its so tiny - besides using it to start a conversation as you say, how do you really use it and is it effective?
It's Night 2 in Reykjavik, Iceland for the wife and I during our long weekend getaway and I can report that it is indeed an effective travel tool.

BJ
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan

Mini 3-Port USB Hub
Spare Galaxy S4 Battery

So I just upgraded from the Asus T100 to the original Surface Pro with Touch Cover 2. Because of this I have replaced the PowerGen Dual-USB charger with the Surface Pro charger, using the charger's USB charging port to charge my phone. This added a bit of bulk, but replacing the AC cord with one of these plugs helps a bit. I can also drop one of the retractable USB cables, so overall it's about the same bulk. I may replace the MS Arc mouse with something Bluetooth as well like the MS Sculpt or one of the $10 generic Magic Mouse knock-offs.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:54 pm

Phone, laptop, kindle and headphones. Thankfully my phone and kindle share the same charging port so I only need to carry two charging cables. I also carry a multiple adaptor, I used to generally one carry the smaller adapators when I knew what countries I'd be travelling to but I find it handy often enough to warrant carrying the larger and heavier multi adapator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.