Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
You want me to list my stuff?? That'll be a very long list but probably interesting since it took about three years to gather it:
  • AOC e2351f monitor in a GearGrip LCD shield (this is usually inside a Samsonite Firelite and checked in. I can carry it on but I prefer not to.)
  • Kinesis Freestyle w/ Ascent accessory in SwissGear 7" tablet bag (this is usually inside the Firelite too)
  • Evoluent VerticalMouse.
  • Rocketfish netbook charger plus Bixnet CNT-X1 to power the monitor. Superb lightweight, 2 pin AC adapter.
  • An ultra thin HDMI cable with a DisplayPort M to HDMI F and a HDMI F to DVI M adapter. The display cable was particularly hard since DisplayPort cables are thick and DVI cables are a bad joke for travel. I also have a retractable DVI to HDMI Cable; the retractable part broke long ago, the cable is nice and flat. This is a viable alternative and it has the smallest DVI connector I've ever seen.
  • Lenovo T420 laptop. For long trips, an external Lenovo 27"doorsill" battery as well.
  • FSP Twinkle.
  • RW-47 power strip for European trips.
  • PS2 power strip for US trips.
  • Universal power adapter 1 it doesn't always work in the UK otherwise OK.
  • Universal power adapter 2 I had better luck with this one in the UK and also it has two sockets so this one would be great but folding out the plug is hard. You can use the blade of a US power plug, however.
  • Moenegallet you can't have enough power outlets
  • Folding AC plug
  • Travel router. Still being worked on. My recent research is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l-routers.html here.
  • 8 port switch got it on a Newegg sale, I don't need 8 ports but it weighs nothing.
  • Couple flat Ethernet cables from Monoprice of various (0.5,5,7ft) length.
  • Anker 5 port 40W charger
  • USB cords: very short mini USB - USB A, micro USB - USB A, micro F-micro M, short charging lead. Experimenting with a Legion Meter to replace the charging lead.
  • A really tiny 4 port USB HUB; this is why I have a mini USB cable.
  • Nexus 7 2013 LTE.
  • Qi charger pad.
  • Kobo Arc HD e-reader.
  • Romoss 10400mAh battery.
  • Bose QC15.
  • TOTO Travel Washlet YEW350. Portable civilization.
  • Eneloop USB charger AA/AAA, spare AAA for the QC15, spare AA for the washlet. (Edit: just got Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries on a Boxing Day sale)

Note that most everything is flat. Makes packing a hell lot easier I found. The WAT Nano is a bit of an outlier but not too bad and the PS2 powerstrip is a serious outlier. I am consider ditching the PS2 for this reason. The washlet is also not flat but I do not care -- I would haul it no matter what; I usually pack it separately anyways.

Most of the electronic gadgets and cables go into various packing cubes: a small Samsonite (I have found the Samsonite 3 Pack a really good fit size wise so much so that I have two times the three) and a little one that OCZ shipped cables in.

Last edited by chx1975; Jan 2, 2015 at 2:32 am
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by GarethK
I was wondering how our gizmo pack looks as we end 2014?
Lots heavier than it was this time last year, all because of this thread :-) I've added an Ankar 5-port charger and some small bendy usb cables, a Kenu airframe, a HooToo tripmate router, a Recon tablet caddy (lost on my first TATL trip in a 777 because it doesn't work in those pockets, since replaced by a small stuff sack and a large binder clip), and various other small things. Please stop recommending small neat thingies that I immediately feel the need to go out and buy.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
My gizmo bag has evolved some over the past year. The bulk of my gadgets/accessories get distilled down into a Eagle Creek Pack-It Sak Small, which slides into my Amazon Basics 11.6" Laptop Bag along with a few other items.

In the main gizmo/accessory bag are:

- Microsoft Arc wireless mouse
- Microsoft Surface 24w charger
- Two (2) 1A USB Chargers
- Two (2) Retractable Micro-USB cables
- 5600 mAh (2 x 18650 cells) Power Bank
- Mini 3-Port USB Hub
- Mini Tide Stain Pen
- Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

Other items in my small brief:

- Microsoft Surface Pro
- JBL Flip2 Bluetooth Speaker

One of these, depending on trip length/type/mood, either in the gadget bag or brief:

- Audio Technica ANC27 Noise Canceling Headphones
- Koss KSC75 Clip-On Headphones
- Motorola S305 Bluetooth Sport Headphones

And sometimes some vaping gear sneaks into my gadget bag:

- 4Nine Mod w/ eFest 35A 18650 Cell
- Aspire Atlantis BVC Clearomizer
- Single-cell 18650 Charger with folding wall plug
- Extra eFest 35A18650 Cell
- 1 or 2 bottles of DIY e-juice
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYTA
Does the kikkerland adapter work in the UK?
Yes I used it recently. You need to slide the first half on top of the other to make it a 3 pin connection.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The Kikkerland adapter supposedly works; I had somewhat mixed luck with it.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Some nice additions here%2

Last edited by arjunrc; Jan 11, 2015 at 7:39 am
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

My 2015 gadget list isn't too different from my 2014, but there have been mods.

I still manage to keep all my stuff into my Tumi pouch that I first started with. I decided to move the mac book charger to a second pouch but took it back to the same pouch.

It's packed tight, but not in a stressful way

The contents inside it are: (items with a blue background are new/replacements)

Basically, I replaced the Skiva with the monoprice, added a BT earbud set for exercising, threw away the airbuds (junk after a while) and added a couple of microusb cables, added the panasonic 3 plug extender from rakuten.

I did not use item G (ethernet) even once in 2014, but I still carry it. I'll bury it one fine day.

A: microusb for my bt exercising headset and other things as needed
B: lightning charger for my iPhone
C: MBP 65W charger (I am really not sure if finsix will save space in its current form)
D: Avantree sacool BT headset
E: monoprice 4 port USB charger
F: 64GB USB drive
G: Eth cable
H: MBP mini display to VGA adapter
I: iPad Mini lightning to VGA adapter
J: iPad mini charger
K: extra adapter for Asia/India when I don't want to use kikkerland
L: 6 in microUSB cable for a 2nd phone when I sometimes carry it
M: microUSB retractable cable dedicated for my edimax nano
N: iphone usb power adapter - when I don't need to power other stuff
O: panasonic 3 plug extender
P: edimax nano router
Q: kikkerland world adapter

Not in the list:
a) iPad Mini retina with the Zagg slim book detachable keyboard case (Review here)
b) Kenu Airframe + Scosche dual USB car charger + micro USB retractable cable for when I need my phone to be a GPS in a rented car
c) Bose Qc 20i

Last edited by arjunrc; Jan 3, 2015 at 5:21 am
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Happy FT to all in 2015 - for the past 6 to 9 months, I've been downsizing further & replacing/adding some gadgets & gizmo's to my travel and on-the-road collection, trying to keep it light when flying but taking some "extra" items not shown here when driving (for business & for leisure/weekends) & for extended cruising. The Sony Viao 11.6" is my preferred netbook as it's lighter, running Win7 Ultimate - and the Big Blue bluetooth speaker goes along (sometimes) - Google Chromecast is great, especially when paired with the TP-Link Nano Travel Router as a hotspot (it also run my Kodi (XBMC) on the Nexus 7, behind a more "secured" firewall.)

Majority/all of the loose & smaller items all fit into the small Eagle Creek packing cube (1/4 sized, I believed) and get tossed into the eBags TLS Mother Lode 22" convertible (or, if I'm fully packed for winter travel for 5 - 8 days: into the Timbuk2 messenger bag.) The Nexus 7 tablet & backup Motorola Atrix 4G smartphone goes into the TB2 along with IE headset, with room to spare for snacks/sandwich & bottled water (post-security checkpoints.)

For quick overnight or 2 nights trip, depending on scheduled functions & needs, I could leave some items at home but it woul have minimal impact on the overall packaging - so they remained in place & everything ready to go. While I can usually count on Google Chromecast & XBMC running off the N7 tablet to provide after-hour R&R, hotel's ever slower WiFi/premium data access are often less than ideal ... that's another story/topic. On my bucket list for 2015, an external USB battery pack (although I usually plan ahead & never count on it) and a high capacity multi-usb charger/outlet - the old Belkin power cube is still useful but often under-powered with the new generation of hi-amp devices (or, I will upgrade mine)

Here we are, everything packed into EC cube plus the bigger items into the Timbuk2, and, ready to head for the gates & past security screening. The Sony Viao with its own soft pouch will come out & stay with me in case the eBags has to be gate-checked on a late-connecting/regional jet flight (which I try to avoid ...)
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arjunrc
My only complaint with the kikkerland is that the slide in attachment using which you need to slide the first half above the second to convert it to a 3 pin (UK sockets) is very flimsy. It easily breaks - while you can still use it, you need to hold it together to put it back into a 3 pin UK socket if it breaks on you. Otherwise a fine device.
Yeah I actually ended up going with a different adapter. Pic of the giz pack coming tonight so I'll point it out then.

I use shout wipes but have tried the tide pen too. both these products rock and have saved me once or twice from embarrassing stains. What is a "DIY e-juice"?
DIY e-juice is do it yourself fluid for an e-cig[arette]. I used to own one after I quit real smoking about 8 months ago, but really disliked it. I do work in a restaurant though and see a lot of people using them in place of their trusty brands while trying to quit. From what I know, e-cigs have become a big hobby among users with lots of flavors and customization. Also just about every local sheriff's deputy I see is using one out here. I guess the non-smoking guys probably appreciate them not stinking up the patrol cars.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:34 pm

D: Avantree sacool BT headset
What's your experience with this BT; read mixed reviews on amazon.com
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

dtsm, for around 30 bucks, it works fine.
The positives: I do P90x with them and it stays securely put, and does not get affected by the sweat (and P90x routines are quite active).
The negative: The first set I had would occasionally drop audio even if you were close to the iPad running the video (typically happened when the source was on the table and you were on the floor) - it would drop for half a second and come back on. It was not really a botheration for me, but it happened. I lost my first pair in a hotel and I recently got a new one. So far I've not seen that problem in the new one - but I am about to leave for a 2 week trip and I'm going to see if it happens with this one too.

Battery life seems fine too, and easy to pair. I always re-charge after 3 uses, which is around 3 hrs, so I haven't really tested for the advertised total limit. The cord is flat and you can tighten it, so I like it. Frankly, I don't tug at the cords at all, but it does look somewhat thin to me.

I believe the jaybird blue buds is the best, from what I hear, but I never tried it. I'd be more upset if I lost it, though.

Originally Posted by dtsm
What's your experience with this BT; read mixed reviews on amazon.com

Last edited by arjunrc; Jan 4, 2015 at 9:38 am
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
I've been downsizing further & replacing/adding some gadgets & gizmo's to my travel and on-the-road collection
Lovely pictures Letitride3c - Thanks! This is the vicious cycle most of us seem to be in - we throw two and add three ;-)

How do you like the motherlode bag? I've been reading good things about it.

Originally Posted by sky303
Yeah I actually ended up going with a different adapter. Pic of the giz pack coming tonight so I'll point it out then.
Look forward to your pictures!

Last edited by arjunrc; Jan 5, 2015 at 8:19 am Reason: typos
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
This is the vicious cycle most of us seem to be - we throw two and add three ;-) How do you like the motherlode bag? I've been reading good things about it ...
- tossed 2 out and ended up with 3 new / smaller ones - on the list for 2015, a high-amp multi-port wall charger, and, an external usb battery bank (although I usually don't run "low")
Mother Lode is my choice - for air or ground travel & cruising - without "checking" luggage, pack up to 7 to 10 days, especially in warmer climate with my XXL sizing. For shorter trips, a mix of packing cubes help its shape & everything (plus the TB2 Messenger Bag) get tossed inside, various compartments just disappeared when not needed or in use. Packed as much as 35 lbs. inside & it wasn't even fully compressed (both internal & exterior straps) without the extra unzipped section. My work & travel lifestyle don't need flashy gears, the best "investment" made 4 or 5 years ago paid only $55 for it, yet to file a claim against its unconditional lifetime warranty. The gears/zippers working 100%, just a few minor scuff marks being gate-checked/tossed around on/off the tarmac.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:57 am

Power bandit - so cool

Originally Posted by AATrout
You might consider adding a Ziotek power bandit. Very useful particularly in UK hotels if there is one US outlet and you don’t have an adapter for the UK outlets. Or in a crowded airport lounge when you can score only one outlet plug and need to charge a laptop and a USB device like an iPad or iPhone also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wow! I want one. Very cool. Wish I had this as a stocking stuffer this year.

Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:51 pm
Suspended

My tech pack hasn't changed much but had some refinement.

- Lenovo X230 Laptop
- iPhone 6
- Kindle Paperwhite in the official Amazon case
- Bose QC20i
- iPhone charge cable
- Micro USB Charge with tip for charging my Plantronics BT headset
- Lenovo power brick and cable
- Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth/Wireless UC with travel case
- Spare headphones in case
- EasyAcc power bank with torch
- Tumi cable pouch

The iPhone 6 replaced my corporate Blackberry but the killer is I *must* use a secure application for email / calendar (GOOD enterprise) which I truly hate. As a result I have a Nokia Lumia 735 running Windows Phone 8.1 on order which my company have just started to roll out. The Lumia allows native access to email / calendar and VPN which is an exciting improvement (to me anyway). The iPhone will be used as a personal mobile only and I will only travel with the Lumia to avoid carrying two phones.

I adore my Bose QC20i headphones. I also carry a spare pair of cheap headphones but these were before I had the BT headset so I suspect I'll end up ditching these very soon.

The Plantronics headset is a very recent addition so still too early to speak with some real use but so far... very positive. These replaced my USB headset because I could use them for both the laptop and my mobile plus they saved some additional room in my bag (hehe). Audio and voice quality is excellent but without doubt they were designed by someone that actually travels. My version includes a travel case which pulls the headset in with a simple magnet but the killer feature being the case has a built in battery that then charges the headset - the case is good for two full charges of the headset. Plus you can charge the headset (and the travel case) while in the case with a micro USB cable - the adapter is if you want to charge it directly.

I have no need for a travel adapter and I still use the laptop's always on USB port to charge my main device. The key reason for not bringing a USB mains adapter is the UK 3-pin plug is a little large.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.