Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
Too lazy to take pictures, but there's stuff that stays in my backpack day to day, and stuff that comes out on the road:

Day to day:
* Dell Precision M3800 laptop (usually; for some short trips, my X201 instead)
* Spare Samsung 2A USB charger and flat micro-USB cable
* Earbuds (currently white ones that came with one of my Samsung phones)
* Power Bank (Romoss 5200mah at present; have had other models in the past)
* USB to ethernet cord (Dell model, came with the M3800)
* A bunch of retractable micro-USB cords, and one retractable mini-USB
* 3" mini-USB, 3" micro-USB cord
* Micro-USB OTG to USB type-A cable
* baggie of various memory cards and USB flash drives, SD and MicroSD readers, MicroSD to SD adapter
* General Tools & Instruments 744 Pocket 4-in-1 Mini Screwdriver
* 256gb mSATA SSD in USB3 case.
* mini-displayport to DVI/HDMI/DP adapter

Additional when traveling:
* Wall power adapter for whichever above (day to day, I have chargers where I use it and don't carry one)
* (if flying American, or driving) DC power adapter for the above
* Tablet (either Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 or Tab 3 8.0, rarely both.)
* Logitech M570 wireless trackball (longer trips, mainly for gaming)
* 5 port USB charger
* HooToo TM-02 Travel router (with OpenWRT)

I've also got a couple of things that live in my roll-aboard:
* Various AC-plug adapters
* Retractable HDMI and ethernet cables
* 3-port travel power strip
(Oh, and while not tech, a travel umbrella never leaves the bag either.)

I used to carry a Samsung-specific MicroUSB (actually MHL, I think) to HDMI adapter, but found I never used it.
And how is your experience with the Tab Pro?
I'm thinking of upgrading my Tab 4 (7") to a Pro, because of the bigger and better screen.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Another evolution quicker than I expected, mostly related to replacing my Surface Pro with an Asus T100TAM...

- Main Bag - Everki Advance 11.6"
- Laptop/Tablet - Asus T100TAM 64GB running Windows 10 Preview Build 9926
- Notebook - Trade-show hand-out 8" x 6"

- Gadget Bag - Eagle Creak Pack-It Sak Small

- PowerGen 3.4A Dual-USB AC Charger
- Trade-Show Hand-Out 3.1A Dual-USB Car Charger
- 2 x Retractable Micro-USB Cable
- APV - Nemesis Mech Mod + Atlantis Sub-Ohm Clearomizer + Efest 35A 18650 Battery
- 18650 Charger + Efest 35A 18650 Battery
- Dollar Tree Ungrounded Three-Way Splitter
- Trade-Show Hand-Out 3-USB Mini-Hub
- Koss KSC-75 Headphones (occasionally replaced by Motorola S305 or Audio Technica ANC27)
- HP X4000b Bluetooth Mouse
- Two-prong 3.5mm Headphone adapter (pretty much useless these days, but just in case)
- 5200 mAh USB PowerBank
- 6' Micro-HDMI to HDMI cable

- Moto X 2014 AT&T (not shown)
- Moto G 2013 LTE Unlocked (not shown, backup & international)
- JBL Flip2 Bluetooth Speaker (not shown, only if traveling when I know I'll have a long conference call)

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Feb 9, 2015 at 8:29 am
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by murtaza12
And how is your experience with the Tab Pro?
I'm thinking of upgrading my Tab 4 (7") to a Pro, because of the bigger and better screen.
Which size Pro are you looking at?

Also, I got mine before the Tab S was out, and would get the Tab S now unless the price difference on the Tab S was horrific. The screen on the Tab Pro is really nice. The AMOLED screen on the Tab S, shown side by side, is amazing. The retina-like resolution on the Tab Pro is really nice for PDFs and comics, although it does mean it's a little slow for the little bit of gaming I've tried. It's also fast enough to handle surfing pretty much any site I've thrown at it, while the Tab 3 does bog down on some Javascript-heavy sites.

That said, I find the 10" size (and larger) and the 7"-8.4" sizes are really different kinds of devices and good for different things.

The 10" is a much more versatile device but it is kind of unwieldy for a lot of things. It's too big to carry everywhere like I can the 8" (which fits in a loose trouser or jacket pocket.)

I like the 10" for longer flights in coach where I am not going to want my laptop out, for watching stuff on the elliptical at the gym, and as a more discreet option for meetings than my laptop (although I can't type on screen with it worth a dang.) For e-reader use, it's also really necessary for reading technical PDFs that I can't re-flow which is why I originally got it.

I really love the 8" size and actually carry it pretty regularly day to day. If I could get my smartphone in that size, I'd probably just carry one device, and skip the Nexus 6. The 8.4" size that's replaced it with the Pro and S seems not to be really "bigger" in a noticeable way, but hey, extra screen size is good as long as it fits in my pocket. The Tab 3 is a little slow compared to my last couple of smartphones, but tolerable, and it's an absolutely beautiful e-reader for books and comics, great for web-surfing when it isn't being too slow, great for movies on the go, etc. The Tab Pro 8.4 and Tab S 8.4 are both much, much faster (heck, your Tab 4 7.0 should be faster for most things; 4 cores vs two on the Tab 3, even if it's not clear the individual cores are any faster.)

I have yet to see a Nexus 9 in person, although my impression is that between bigger bezels and the screen size, it is not for me. Also, the way I use non-cloud media on my tablets, I am not getting one without an SD card slot.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
Which size Pro are you looking at?

Also, I got mine before the Tab S was out, and would get the Tab S now unless the price difference on the Tab S was horrific. The screen on the Tab Pro is really nice. The AMOLED screen on the Tab S, shown side by side, is amazing. The retina-like resolution on the Tab Pro is really nice for PDFs and comics, although it does mean it's a little slow for the little bit of gaming I've tried. It's also fast enough to handle surfing pretty much any site I've thrown at it, while the Tab 3 does bog down on some Javascript-heavy sites.

That said, I find the 10" size (and larger) and the 7"-8.4" sizes are really different kinds of devices and good for different things.

The 10" is a much more versatile device but it is kind of unwieldy for a lot of things. It's too big to carry everywhere like I can the 8" (which fits in a loose trouser or jacket pocket.)

I like the 10" for longer flights in coach where I am not going to want my laptop out, for watching stuff on the elliptical at the gym, and as a more discreet option for meetings than my laptop (although I can't type on screen with it worth a dang.) For e-reader use, it's also really necessary for reading technical PDFs that I can't re-flow which is why I originally got it.

I really love the 8" size and actually carry it pretty regularly day to day. If I could get my smartphone in that size, I'd probably just carry one device, and skip the Nexus 6. The 8.4" size that's replaced it with the Pro and S seems not to be really "bigger" in a noticeable way, but hey, extra screen size is good as long as it fits in my pocket. The Tab 3 is a little slow compared to my last couple of smartphones, but tolerable, and it's an absolutely beautiful e-reader for books and comics, great for web-surfing when it isn't being too slow, great for movies on the go, etc. The Tab Pro 8.4 and Tab S 8.4 are both much, much faster (heck, your Tab 4 7.0 should be faster for most things; 4 cores vs two on the Tab 3, even if it's not clear the individual cores are any faster.)

I have yet to see a Nexus 9 in person, although my impression is that between bigger bezels and the screen size, it is not for me. Also, the way I use non-cloud media on my tablets, I am not getting one without an SD card slot.
Any tab under 9" is perfect for me.
I really can't carry any of Samsung's 10" tabs, even though I really want one but they're way too big.

Now I need your opinion, the local supplier in Pakistan has the
Tab S (8.4") for USD 400 (Wi-Fi only)
Tab Pro (8.4") for USD 330 (Wi-Fi only)

Which do I choose?

I don't play games, I read a lot of stuff and watch movies/TV shows sometimes. Would the S-LCD suit me better or the AMOLED?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by murtaza12
Now I need your opinion, the local supplier in Pakistan has the
Tab S (8.4") for USD 400 (Wi-Fi only)
Tab Pro (8.4") for USD 330 (Wi-Fi only)

Which do I choose?

I don't play games, I read a lot of stuff and watch movies/TV shows sometimes. Would the S-LCD suit me better or the AMOLED?
Speaking purely about screens, the screen on the Tab S is across-the-board better than the one on the Tab Pro. At the same price, it would be a no-brainer; OTOH a 20% price bump over the Pro is pretty dear and I've been very happy with the 10.1" Pro. A lot would come down to whether the gross US$70 difference seemed like a big difference.

The Tab S also has a slightly larger battery, and is a little lighter and thinner. The Tab S has more memory, and it's not clear which has the better processor - the Tab S has a newer Samsung Exynos while the Tab Pro has a Qualcomm, which is older but performs better on some benchmarks -- but for your use I don't think either will matter.

Both have KitKat, and both support the very handy guest/multi-user mode.

Neither one has a Lollipop upgrade available, and it's not clear if either one will. If I had to guess, the Tab S is more likely to get the upgrade if that matters to you; the Tab Pro has already been discontinued in a lot of markets.

If you're not in a rush to get a new tablet, I'd consider waiting to see if there's a newer 8.4" model in the next few months (most of the rumors I've seen are about a replacement for the low-end/midrange Tab 4, rather than the higher-end Tab S), or at least if the Lollipop upgrade comes out for either one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.