Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oy! What's in your gizmo pack?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by arjunrc
Add to that that Apple products are very particular about their cables, do you know if these are Apple certified?
I've bought several lightning cables from them, different lengths/colors and all worked fine on 5 & 5s, iPad3 devices.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:09 am
Suspended

Add to that that Apple products are very particular about their cables, do you know if these are Apple certified?
I picked up a £0.69 cable that worked fine. Also just bought a £1.30 adapter off ebay - feeling a little less confident but worth a pop!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks, good to know. That cable with the lightning and micro usb heads attached together is very nice. I might pick one up.

Originally Posted by dtsm
I've bought several lightning cables from them, different lengths/colors and all worked fine on 5 & 5s, iPad3 devices.
Originally Posted by GarethK
I picked up a £0.69 cable that worked fine. Also just bought a £1.30 adapter off ebay - feeling a little less confident but worth a pop!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:58 pm

Thanks, good to know. That cable with the lightning and micro usb heads attached together is very nice. I might pick one up.
Be careful of the combo cords. I had a 4 inch combo lightning, 30 pin and micro heads via amazon. It worked on great for iPhone 5 but not newer 5s.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Be careful of the combo cords. I had a 4 inch combo lightning, 30 pin and micro heads via amazon. It worked on great for iPhone 5 but not newer 5s.
Ah, thanks. That re-affirms my worry about 3rd party cords. One never knows what works and what does not. I'll stick to Apple, then.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:43 am

Original apple cord - one day only

One day sale: http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/411556
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:28 am
Suspended

My USB Micro to Lightning adapter arrived this morning; less than £2 posted and works perfectly fine. Just been able to ditch another cable
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:20 am

Another good deal from newegg
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/412338
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:08 am
Suspended

I was wondering how our gizmo pack looks as we end 2014?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GarethK
I was wondering how our gizmo pack looks as we end 2014?
I'll take a pic later, but I've gotten rid of the tablet and upgraded to the Galaxy S5 in addition to getting rid of a lot of wires. Funny, I was literally looking for this thread today to find that Kikkerland power adapter (forgot who made it) so I could grab one off Amazon. As soon as a couple of new (minor) tech purchases roll in from Amazon tomorrow and Wednesday, I'll throw up a picture.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Went to grab my usb 12v cigarette lighter plug today, and realized it must have made someone a nice Christmas gift in a Hertz rental car somewhere. Most have USB plugs, but chagrining is intermittent, and i like to be able to charge both [work/personal] phones at once on the road.

Will need to track down another one. My old one was a single USB - seems like some are 2 USB, would be nice to have if size was small enough.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by 1200GS
Will need to track down another one. My old one was a single USB - seems like some are 2 USB, would be nice to have if size was small enough.
After a year, I remain a huge fan of the Anker 24W 2-Port Car Charger. It's tiny (sticks out just an inch or so), cheap ($10), and can charge two devices at high speed.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Scifience
After a year, I remain a huge fan of the Anker 24W 2-Port Car Charger. It's tiny (sticks out just an inch or so), cheap ($10), and can charge two devices at high speed.
excellent! thanks for the recommendation! ^^
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:19 pm

Here is what I carry for domestic travel. I keep this packed 100% of the time in my tumi laptop bag, so i have it with me even on local business related trips, if i need a charge at a starbucks, etc. I have found that it is well worth having an extra set of chargers packed at all times - you know they are there when you need them.

- Apple Lightning to USB Cable (charges personal 5S and work 5S)
- Apple 30-pin to USB Cable (charges ipad)
- Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (allows simultaneous charging of both iphones and carrying one cable for iphone/ipad cord)
- Apple 5W USB Power Adapter
- Apple 10W USB Power Adapter
- Micro USB cord (chargesLTE Hotspot, bose headphones)
- headphone-headphone cord (for use in rental cars w/o Bluetooth or usb - rare, but handy)
- Apple (free) headphones. (For use for hands-free calling in rental cars w/o bluetooth. Also rare, but handy to have as backup. Use bose n/c earbuds most of the time, but don't like them while driving.)
- Kenu Airframe - cell phone vent mount (absolute luxury item, but can't tell you how handy it is. highly recommended).
- AA battery (backup for wireless mouse - rarely travel w/ wireless mouse, but when I do, nice to have backup battery) / AAA battery (backup for small flashlight i carry in bag)

Not pictured:
12v cigarette usb plug (lost - needs to be replaced)
laptop charger

Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
This is just my personal stuff,

13" Retina MacBook Pro (I have been leaving this behind more often than not)
Asus VivoTab with Keyboard Dock (I'm ready to replace this with a pure tablet)
Retina iPad Mini with T-Mobile LTE in Smart Case.
Verizon ZTE JetPack 4G 890L
WIND Mobile Huawei Pocket Hotspot E583C
Canon PowerShot ELPH HS
Unlocked Samsung SGH-T199 (for locations where camera phones are forbidden or being robbed seems possible.)
Rogers iPhone 5c and AT&T Lumia 635 (temporary and free)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (for Wi-Fi only situations, i.e. poolside in the Caribbean)
Nokia DC-18 External Battery
Spare chargers, spare headphones, spare memory cards.
An entire box of Bic pens since nobody seems to have a pen handy for their customs card.

When I leave the Macbook at home I carry it all in a "personal item" sized Targus City Gear bag. With the MacBook I use a Dell backpack I scavenged from the garbage at work a decade ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.