Wiki Posts
Search

Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Obii is still working, and they sent out an email saying Google pushed off the date a bit, but that it will likely stop working "soon."

But again, that has nothing to do with OP's initial question of whether overseas affects use, and the answer is that it does not. When logged into Gmail, I can call no problem using Google Voice (not Hangouts) to any US/Canadian number, for free, regardless of where I am in the world, with no proxy/VPN needed
I have been calling US/Canada from HK using Google Voice up to this post without any issue.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Does anyone have any viable suggestions for a good VOIP client to RECEIVE calls with an Android phone, especially while on a mobile network (ie - not Wifi?)
LifeHacker has a thread going on the best mobile VoIP app. As with anything on LifeHacker, take it all with a grain of salt...

http://lifehacker.com/whats-the-best...app-1579791681
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
question. I see i can use google hangouts to make calls via GV on my iphone while overseas(in Australia) via data. What about receiving calls?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:10 pm

The clarity, ease and cost of Google Hangouts calls to and from Europe is better than anything else I've used.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
GV MOBILE+ app on my iOS devices is working like usual for making calls still. I'll try later today to see how it handles incoming calls.
It's still working. I did download Google Hangouts and it works too, but I'm glad to see GV Mobile+ app still works.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
In Australia this week, Google Hangouts looks like it's charging $0.02 / min to make US calls now - this was free last time I was here. Tried over wifi and local mobile data and got the same result each time. Anyone else seeing this?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's still working. I did download Google Hangouts and it works too, but I'm glad to see GV Mobile+ app still works.
I'm still using the GV Mobile+ app to make phone calls from Europe to the US and it's been working as well as before and for free.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I'm still using the GV Mobile+ app to make phone calls from Europe to the US and it's been working as well as before and for free.
Me too, i've been working without a problem from Venezuela. GV Mobile+.
No change after the new Google implementation.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
well i will be headed to australia next week so i can confirm as well.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by star_world
In Australia this week, Google Hangouts looks like it's charging $0.02 / min to make US calls now - this was free last time I was here. Tried over wifi and local mobile data and got the same result each time. Anyone else seeing this?
Just an update on this - the Hangouts app on iPhone and iPad was saying 2c / min as soon as I entered the number (before dialing); calling using Hangouts on the PC through gmail was free.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
i feel it would be an excellent idea to make this thread in to a wiki page.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
i feel it would be an excellent idea to make this thread in to a wiki page.
Feel free! There's a Create a Wikipost link at the top of the page if you click on Thread Tools.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:04 pm

Grove IP - Ring To and VPN's

Depending on the hotel and country I use Grove IP with and without a VPN back to the states. It's been working great for years and I just tested it with Grove IP's using Ring To from Canada and it works fine.

The flavor of VPN be it IPSec or L2TP can make a difference. I use Witopia as my VPN provider and pick a server in the states closest to where I am. When it does not fly, it's normally because I have really long ping times. The VPN gets around hotel blocking most of the time. Work best if I have a wired connection to my travel router.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Obii is still working, and they sent out an email saying Google pushed off the date a bit, but that it will likely stop working "soon."

But again, that has nothing to do with OP's initial question of whether overseas affects use, and the answer is that it does not. When logged into Gmail, I can call no problem using Google Voice (not Hangouts) to any US/Canadian number, for free, regardless of where I am in the world, with no proxy/VPN needed
Are you using a typical laptop or an Android tablet/smartphone?

For my Android smartphone, I was a GrooveIP user connected to my google voice number. So I used this app to make and receive phone calls (on my google voice number) when I was overseas with a Wifi connection. But this app's linkage with a google voice number was decommissioned in late May...

So if anyone has a new suggestion, please let me know~

EDIT: Let me be more detailed about my last trip. I was in South Korea. I enabled the airplane mode on my Android smartphone. [This was to ensure there would no international charges from my phone carrier, Virgin Mobile.] Then in the airport, I rented a WIFI egg. My Android phone was connected to it so all the typical functions worked. Furthermore, because GrooveIP was connected to my google voice number, I was making calls and receiving calls. All the charges simply went through my google voice number. So I was calling back to US free of charge.

My issue with the official Google Hangout and Google Voice apps is that there is no dialer! So I cannot call a typical phone number with them.

Last edited by sonicking; Jul 3, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rollover
Depending on the hotel and country I use Grove IP with and without a VPN back to the states. It's been working great for years and I just tested it with Grove IP's using Ring To from Canada and it works fine.
The RingTo help page says that they only support calls within US and Canada. I am still searching for a way to work when I am not in these two countries...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.