FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1543351-google-voice-over-voip-outside-us.html)

Dubai Stu Jan 20, 2014 5:26 am

Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

I was wondering if I could get a straw poll of people who have made VOIP using Google Voice from outside the US (and using a foreign IP address, not an US SIM on an international data plan or through a US VPN).

I'm in a middle of a dispute in another forum where someone with a high rating is swearing that it can't be done (without proxies or tunnels) and you will be blocked. I was wondering whether anyone who has ever used Google Voice with a foreign SIM in their phone could share their experiences. Thanks.

slowmail Jan 20, 2014 6:06 am

I do it all the time when I'm outside the US with my Android phone and GrooveIP. I can make and receive calls via VOIP and my GV number. No US VPN required.

The Free "Lite" version only works over wifi, and the pay version allows you to make and receive calls over 3G data.

*However* GrooveIP works over XMPP which Google has announced they will end on 15 May 2014; after which, it will no longer work.

I'm to understand that the official Google Voice app routes calls via phone calls, and will incur international call charges back to the US if you tried to use it while overseas. I've never tried using it however.

Dubai Stu Jan 20, 2014 6:35 am

Google Hangouts routes the calls over VOIP and can receive inbound calls. I'm guessing that Google is trying to consolidate its VOIP offerings under one virtual "roof" rather than the patchwork quilt they have been maintaining.

GUWonder Jan 20, 2014 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 22186893)
I was wondering if I could get a straw poll of people who have made VOIP using Google Voice from outside the US (and using a foreign IP address, not an US SIM on an international data plan or through a US VPN).

I'm in a middle of a dispute in another forum where someone with a high rating is swearing that it can't be done (without proxies or tunnels) and you will be blocked. I was wondering whether anyone who has ever used Google Voice with a foreign SIM in their phone could share their experiences. Thanks.

I have been using Google Voice (back even in the GrandCentral days) with my US Vonage numbers that I had "permanently" set up in Europe and Asia with the Vonage ATAs. I've had no problem whatsoever and have been doing this for at least the better part of a decade and perhaps even longer from Asian and European IPs.

I rather frequently use Google Voice via GV Mobile+ on a European or Asian network -- wifi or cell phone data -- where the phone has a European or Asian SIM. No problems IME.

star_world Jan 20, 2014 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 22187126)
Google Hangouts routes the calls over VOIP and can receive inbound calls. I'm guessing that Google is trying to consolidate its VOIP offerings under one virtual "roof" rather than the patchwork quilt they have been maintaining.

I've used my US Hangouts account for several hundred hours of calls with a variety of European ISPs (including mobile) without any issues at all.

deniah Jan 20, 2014 7:32 am

on a phone, via wifi, over the free grooveIP app: yes it works
on a computer, via wifi, over google website: yes it works

one needs paid app to dial over mobile data connection, and i dont have that app

maxim730 Jan 20, 2014 7:58 am

FYI, access to Google VOICE API is ending on May 14, 2014. So apps liek GrooveIP, talkatone, may/will not work after that date.

https://plus.google.com/+NikhylSingh...ts/MjyncJEbzxK

star_world Jan 20, 2014 8:03 am

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 22187376)
one needs paid app to dial over mobile data connection, and i dont have that app

Not if you have an iOS device - you can call over the mobile data connection using the Hangouts app.

Dubai Stu Jan 20, 2014 8:55 am

I have a hard time believing that Google is going to leave Android as a 'second-class citizen.' I'm sure the comparable Hangouts app for android is coming

DC777Fan Jan 20, 2014 9:20 am

I use local sim + hangouts app (no VPN or anything else) to make "free" calls home to the USA all the time.

Dubai Stu Jan 20, 2014 9:31 am

I just discovered that Chrome (at least for iOS) now supports Google Hangouts. You can make voice calls off it, but the option is a little burried. Next to "new hangout" there is a little downward facing arrow. Click on it and there is an option to place a call.

u600213 Jan 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Done it using GV Phone free Android app from UK with 3UK sim, Germany with Alditalk (E-Plus) sim , France with Orange SIM etc. No problem.

LAXlocal Jan 22, 2014 7:41 pm

So if I get a USA GV account and give it to my partners in Europe they can make free calls to the USA ?

I assume it does not work for free calling to Europe mobiles (which always seems expensive)

star_world Jan 23, 2014 8:13 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal (Post 22204795)
So if I get a USA GV account and give it to my partners in Europe they can make free calls to the USA ?

No need - they can do it themselves from Google Hangouts. No charge for calls to US numbers (for now).

ajGoes Jan 23, 2014 8:25 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal (Post 22204795)

I assume it does not work for free calling to Europe mobiles (which always seems expensive)

Google Voice charges US$0.10/min for calls to mobiles in France and Germany and to most carriers in the UK (it's US$0.21 to carriers other than Hutchison3G, O2, Orange, TMobile and Vodaphone). The cheapest rate I've found for calling from the US to UK mobiles is from a Toggle Mobile SIM with a US number: £0.03/min.