Reload this Page >

Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Did you try to search for it? I had to do this to enable on my Nexus (admittedly I was impatient to wait) but it did the trick.
Unfortunately that didn't work either... I'm running 4.4.3 along with the latest Google Search, Google Play Services, and Google Now Launcher versions. In "OK Google" Detection settings I only get "From Google Search app and no other options.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
#Happy #Dance

This is great - been busy late afternoon/evening - it's all good on two Nexus 5 ***, now we can take full advantage of Google Voice/mobile number tied to Hangout v2.3 (download, sideload to install, added H.O. Dialer from Play Store) Reboot, wipe dalvik cache & reboot after doing backups. Enabled settings, now I can call out on WiFi showing GV number, without using T-Mo airtime minutes, for free. Turn on "Incoming Call for GV" to ring at Hangout ... This would result in less use and need for Apps like Talkatone.

It hasn't been pushed out automatically yet, rollout should be done over the next few days by regions to devices. It's not fully functional yet, I believe, on Mrs' iPad yet - not able to bring up the H.O. Dialer but it is ringing/video calling my GV # on the Android, cool.

*** Running Android 4.4.4 stock rom & kernel, Xposed Installer & Gravity Box only (rooted & latest bootloader, unlock )

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 10, 2014 at 11:22 pm Reason: Comment on cutback on needs for Talkatone
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Does this mean that if people call my GV number, it will now ring on my Android?
And I need 4.4.4 or 4.4.3 is enough?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
#Happy #Dance

This is great - been busy late afternoon/evening - it's all good on two Nexus 5 ***, now we can take full advantage of Google Voice/mobile number tied to Hangout v2.3 (download, sideload to install, added H.O. Dialer from Play Store) Reboot, wipe dalvik cache & reboot after doing backups. Enabled settings, now I can call out on WiFi showing GV number, without using T-Mo airtime minutes, for free. Turn on "Incoming Call for GV" to ring at Hangout ... This would result in less use and need for Apps like Talkatone.

It hasn't been pushed out automatically yet, rollout should be done over the next few days by regions to devices. It's not fully functional yet, I believe, on Mrs' iPad yet - not able to bring up the H.O. Dialer but it is ringing/video calling my GV # on the Android, cool.

*** Running Android 4.4.4 stock rom & kernel, Xposed Installer & Gravity Box only (rooted & latest bootloader, unlock )

Did you notice any inconsistencies with receiving incoming calls where sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? This is the case for me, and I can't quite pinpoint why...
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Does this mean that if people call my GV number, it will now ring on my Android?
And I need 4.4.4 or 4.4.3 is enough?
It has been possible for calls to your Google Voice number to ring an Android phone since the beginning of Google Voice. AFAIK, the Android version is irrelevant.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Does this mean that if people call my GV number, it will now ring on my Android? And I need 4.4.4 or 4.4.3 is enough?
Assuming you have an active Google Voice # associated with your smartphone, install the HO v2.3 and the HO Dialer, go into Settings (left/top tab) under your gmail account -enable "Incoming phone calls" - Ring Hangouts for incoming phone calls made to your Google Voice number. that's OFF by default. Check the ring tones used for notification and also your GV settings for call screening/blocking, quiet hours, etc. as those could affect whether all calls get thru or only those in your circle of friends. Reboot device to start (and if you get into Recovery, wipe dalvik cache to clear things a bit for a fresher start, as always being good practice)

If you have 4.4.3 already on the device, it should be relatively simple to update or sideload (i.e. XDA-Developers for a near/stock Rom) 4.4.4 - it's smoother & better, IMO. I have a HTC and Motorola Atrix 4G as secondary & backup, running Hangout and I will try to update them to see what happen (one is 4.1 only) <<Also, see comment from above reply>>

Originally Posted by jplee3
Did you notice any inconsistencies with receiving incoming calls where sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? This is the case for me, and I can't quite pinpoint why...
So far, it seemed to be ringing on the devices fairly consistently on the Androids and on iPad - I will get to test it in real time/world today.

Check the ring tones used for notification and also your GV settings for call screening/blocking, quiet hours, etc. as those could affect whether all calls get thru or only those in your circle of friends.

Granted that this is a major revision and update, expect some bugs & issues to be popping up that they will work out eventually (like Google Map then )

I suggest staying updated on Google Blog & sites like XDA on the latest.

OT, pause for a moment of silence - 9:37 AM @ Sept. 11th. We're just 10 blocks from Ground Zero then on what was a quiet, beautiful & sunny Tuesday morning. We shall never forget - # Salute
!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ajGoes
It has been possible for calls to your Google Voice number to ring an Android phone since the beginning of Google Voice. AFAIK, the Android version is irrelevant.
Yes, but through call forwarding to your mobile number. Now they can rind directly through hangouts over VOIP, not voice number forwarding or voice line required (you can make/receive calls from a tablet on wifi, for example).
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:45 am

Assuming you have an active Google Voice # associated with your smartphone, install the HO v2.3 and the HO Dialer, go into Settings (left/top tab) under your gmail account -enable "Incoming phone calls" - Ring Hangouts for incoming phone calls made to your Google Voice number. that's OFF by default. Check the ring tones used for notification and also your GV settings for call screening/blocking, quiet hours, etc. as those could affect whether all calls get thru or only those in your circle of friends. Reboot device to start (and if you get into Recovery, wipe dalvik cache to clear things a bit for a fresher start, as always being good practice)

If you have 4.4.3 already on the device, it should be relatively simple to update or sideload (i.e. XDA-Developers for a near/stock Rom) 4.4.4 - it's smoother & better, IMO. I have a HTC and Motorola Atrix 4G as secondary & backup, running Hangout and I will try to update them to see what happen (one is 4.1 only) <<Also, see comment from above reply>>

So far, it seemed to be ringing on the devices fairly consistently on the Androids and on iPad - I will get to test it in real time/world today.

Check the ring tones used for notification and also your GV settings for call screening/blocking, quiet hours, etc. as those could affect whether all calls get thru or only those in your circle of friends.

Granted that this is a major revision and update, expect some bugs & issues to be popping up that they will work out eventually (like Google Map then )

I suggest staying updated on Google Blog & sites like XDA on the latest.

OT, pause for a moment of silence - 9:37 AM @ Sept. 11th. We're just 10 blocks from Ground Zero then on what was a quiet, beautiful & sunny Tuesday morning. We shall never forget - # Salute
!

BTW: when I mentioned inconsistencies with receiving incoming calls, I forgot to mention in the context of airplane mode with wifi-only enabled I don't have any problems receiving calls otherwise
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:51 am

#Happy #Dance

I am particularly curious to know if after doing that process you did with sideloading (I did it myself yesterday) you were prompted in Hangouts to route your GVoice text messages (NOT carrier SMS) into Hangouts as well? The former eludes me, but I do have carrier SMS coming into Hangouts. I saw screenshots of the prompt asking how to handle GVoice texts, but I didn't get it. I wonder if forcing the issue via sideloading is the culprit? I just want one app to rule them all. I don't see GVoice as much more than an empty shell of its former (limited to begin with) self. Right now, I still have to use the GVoice app and Hangouts. Rather growing tired of Google's half-pregnant approach to things.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I only knew of a possibility of having GV forward to my cell number, but not to ring natively on the phone.
While forwarding is possible with an American number, it doesn't help when I'm outside the USA
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by robroy90
... after ... sideloading (I did it myself yesterday) you were prompted in Hangouts to route your GVoice text messages ... I do have carrier SMS coming ... screenshots of the prompt asking how to handle GVoice texts, but I didn't get it. I wonder if forcing the issue via sideloading is the culprit? I just want one app to ... still have to use the GVoice app and Hangouts.
Partial answer, no - I did not get any prompt to route GV text msg into HO (yet) and that's on both Nexus 5 and older HTC running customized Android 4.0.4. - all working great for me. Voice quality is very good, far superior than Talkatone - true even on the iPad. Overall, it's a leap forward to use WiFi vs. calling minutes (not everyone has unlimited calling) Isnt' GV App supposed to go away or being phrased out eventually - merged/integrated into Hangouts further down the transitional pathway?

Some of the calls made are going out/coming thru as video calling, which I don't want/need - just simple voice calling. The geeks at Google got some tweaking to do ahead ... Traveling abroad and for calling from overseas, this isn't going to help but at east moving in the right direction.

Hangouts v2.3 won't install on older Gingerbread Rom on the Moto Atrix 4G (spare/backup phone,) and without it, no HO Dialer either to take advantage of these newer features. Unless I reload an Android 4.1 ROM that isn't battery friendly on standby & skip/re-install an off-line MapFactor Navigator.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:27 pm

I did get the prompt today in Hangouts to route GV texts into it instead of the voice app. It seems to work well so far. Texts sent to my GV # are showing up in the hangouts app on my Note 3 and simultaneously on the hangouts "app" in Chrome on my Mac. Definitely better than the way I had been handling GV texts on my laptop up to this point.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by robroy90
I did get the prompt today in Hangouts to route GV texts into it instead of the voice app ... Definitely better than the way I had been handling GV texts on my laptop up to this point.
Likewise here, been busy tweaking things a bit. Noticed that prompt in sideloaded Hangouts to "turn on" routing SMS directy. With incoming voice/video call - ringing on as many as 3 devices - 2 Androids plus the iPad associated with the same Google Mail account with phone numbers verified, very nice, i.e. on backup smartphone.

Factory wipe/reset & restored Moto Atrix 4G on newer CM10-based, Android 4.1.2 with updated patches, got most of the latest Apps on it, and, Hangout upgraded to v2.3 by itself (was all set to sideload it) and the same prompt to enabled SMS re-routing to HO. Downloaded the HO Dialer, reboot & cleared dalvik cache - but, doing FC'd on me so it's a no go. Strange, but true - yet working on the HTC with a ported Rom, back to XDA-Developers this weekend to find a solution for it << It also ring/alerted to incoming HO call, but "Answer" it and it closed on an error >>

Basically, it said "You have turned on phone calling in Hangouts ... outbound calls to any number in the world. Most calls to the US and Canada and free and rates are really low for other destinations." Called Mrs. L & others at the office several times, couldn't tell the difference at all, whether using cellular or WiFi calling to connect. Yay!

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 13, 2014 at 6:27 pm Reason: typo fixed
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:47 pm

I got the prompt as well... Now I just wish they'd start syncing texts from my mobile carrier to other devices through hangouts so I can ditch ZipWhip and MightyText.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:35 pm

Link to calling rates for hangouts.

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rat...en&p=hangout#F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.