Wiki Posts
Search

Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sonicking
Are you using a typical laptop or an Android tablet/smartphone?

For my Android smartphone, I was a GrooveIP user connected to my google voice number. So I used this app to make and receive phone calls (on my google voice number) when I was overseas with a Wifi connection. But this app's linkage with a google voice number was decommissioned in late May...

So if anyone has a new suggestion, please let me know~

EDIT: Let me be more detailed about my last trip. I was in South Korea. I enabled the airplane mode on my Android smartphone. [This was to ensure there would no international charges from my phone carrier, Virgin Mobile.] Then in the airport, I rented a WIFI egg. My Android phone was connected to it so all the typical functions worked. Furthermore, because GrooveIP was connected to my google voice number, I was making calls and receiving calls. All the charges simply went through my google voice number. So I was calling back to US free of charge.

My issue with the official Google Hangout and Google Voice apps is that there is no dialer! So I cannot call a typical phone number with them.
Regular laptop. Never used GrooveIP - I used to have a virtual American phone number associated with my phone, so I forwarded my Google Voice to my phone. I've since switched providers, and the new one doesn't offer virtual numbers, but I haven't done anything about it in the meantime as I still have the landline with Obii.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by njxbean
question. I see i can use google hangouts to make calls via GV on my iphone while overseas(in Australia) via data. What about receiving calls?
Confirmed. This works via data or wifi free of charge. Im using the optus $2 a day plan.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:16 am

Connecting through a VPN has always worked for me.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:08 am

Anybody have experience using GV or GrooveIP overseas in South Korea or Taiwan?

From what I hear, I'll likely need to use at least GV in conjunction with VPN.

I am borrowing my dad's Ipod Touch and have Hangouts loaded and have been testing the phone call functionality. It seems to work OK but I'm wondering if there's a better alternative. I also have GV forwarding to GrooveIP on my Nexus 7 but calling out on my Nexus 7 I haven't figured out how to have GrooveIP "mask" using the GV number (I don't think this is possible). I may bring both just to see what works best... I'm planning on renting a wifi hotspot (Wifi-Korea Everywhere Speed Pack) that supposed has constant connectivity and LTE speeds.

We'll see.... do you guys have any suggestions on free VPNs to use? I just installed TunnelBear on the Ipod Touch - it has a 500mb limit. I think I've tried a couple others but they usually have data limits.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by jplee3
Anybody have experience using GV or GrooveIP overseas in South Korea or Taiwan?

From what I hear, I'll likely need to use at least GV in conjunction with VPN.

I am borrowing my dad's Ipod Touch and have Hangouts loaded and have been testing the phone call functionality. It seems to work OK but I'm wondering if there's a better alternative. I also have GV forwarding to GrooveIP on my Nexus 7 but calling out on my Nexus 7 I haven't figured out how to have GrooveIP "mask" using the GV number (I don't think this is possible). I may bring both just to see what works best... I'm planning on renting a wifi hotspot (Wifi-Korea Everywhere Speed Pack) that supposed has constant connectivity and LTE speeds.

We'll see.... do you guys have any suggestions on free VPNs to use? I just installed TunnelBear on the Ipod Touch - it has a 500mb limit. I think I've tried a couple others but they usually have data limits.
Not specific to Taiwan/Korea, but I have not had a good experience with GrooveIP post Google Voice. Talkatone is working well for me on Android. Hangouts is working for calling on iOS (no such feature on Android version of Hangouts yet).

Ace vpn is 5 or 6 dollars a month, and no auto-renew. So I pay for it as I leave on trips. Not free, but pretty close
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by AnalogMan
Not specific to Taiwan/Korea, but I have not had a good experience with GrooveIP post Google Voice. Talkatone is working well for me on Android. Hangouts is working for calling on iOS (no such feature on Android version of Hangouts yet).

Ace vpn is 5 or 6 dollars a month, and no auto-renew. So I pay for it as I leave on trips. Not free, but pretty close
Thanks! I'll have to give Talkatone another try. Are you paying for that in terms of calls out and also a number to receive incoming calls (from landline or mobile)?

I'll definitely have at least one Android device and may take the Ipod Touch for Hangouts as well...

I'll have to look into Ace VPN
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:30 pm

Thanks! I'll have to give Talkatone another try. Are you paying for that in terms of calls out and also a number to receive incoming calls (from landline or mobile)?

I'll definitely have at least one Android device and may take the Ipod Touch for Hangouts as well...

I'll have to look into Ace VPN
Good questions, sorry I wasn't very clear the first time. Talkatone offers free incoming calls, and I made my Talkatone number a Google Voice forwarding number, I receive calls on my Google Voice number for free On iOS Hangouts, I believe calling US numbers is free; free incoming calls.

I don't know about Korea, but I am pretty sure there is no LTE with prepaid in Taiwan yet.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Any way to use the free real phone number calling in Google Hangouts' Android version of the app? I've been using this on iOS for a long time and it's a real shock to find it missing in Google's own OS!?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by msp3
Any way to use the free real phone number calling in Google Hangouts' Android version of the app? I've been using this on iOS for a long time and it's a real shock to find it missing in Google's own OS!?
The phone part of Hangouts is still in the separate Google Voice app in Android.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:49 pm

Good questions, sorry I wasn't very clear the first time. Talkatone offers free incoming calls, and I made my Talkatone number a Google Voice forwarding number, I receive calls on my Google Voice number for free On iOS Hangouts, I believe calling US numbers is free; free incoming calls.

I don't know about Korea, but I am pretty sure there is no LTE with prepaid in Taiwan yet.

NP - I see now. Yea I think I actually was setting up GV to forward to Talkatone at some point. At least, I'm doing that with Groove IP right now. Only problem though is outbound calls via either won't display your GV number in the caller ID on the person's phone whom you're calling (right?). Are the outgoing international Talkatone calls pretty affordable?

For the iOS Hangouts calls, calling international #s work too right? It just uses whatever GV credit you have in your balance.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:45 pm

NP - I see now. Yea I think I actually was setting up GV to forward to Talkatone at some point. At least, I'm doing that with Groove IP right now. Only problem though is outbound calls via either won't display your GV number in the caller ID on the person's phone whom you're calling (right?). Are the outgoing international Talkatone calls pretty affordable?

For the iOS Hangouts calls, calling international #s work too right? It just uses whatever GV credit you have in your balance.
Yeah, I don't think GrooveIP will show your GV number on the outbound.

International should work and does cost GV credit. Google's rates are pretty decent (about 10% cheaper than Vonage, I have tried several VoIP options in the past few weeks gearing up for an international trip). I am not sure if Talkatone is actually able to dial internationally. I just use the web interface (ui=desktop when on my phone) of Google Voice to call and tell it to ring my Talkatone number, so the call is free, just paying for international portion of it.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
The phone part of Hangouts is still in the separate Google Voice app in Android.
Yes, except I don't think you can do VoIP calls on the Android Google Voice app. Why that feature hasn't made an appearance despite the iOS version of app having it is strange to me.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Confirmed. LTE only available under contract. Prepaid will only get you 3G.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I've tried. It doesn't work. The only thing it does is free text messages for your Google number.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:37 pm

Yeah, I don't think GrooveIP will show your GV number on the outbound.

International should work and does cost GV credit. Google's rates are pretty decent (about 10% cheaper than Vonage, I have tried several VoIP options in the past few weeks gearing up for an international trip). I am not sure if Talkatone is actually able to dial internationally. I just use the web interface (ui=desktop when on my phone) of Google Voice to call and tell it to ring my Talkatone number, so the call is free, just paying for international portion of it.

Great idea! I just tested it out and it worked decently with my Freedompop hotspot (of course, I only called my home phone and left a short msg. I should try calling my wife too to test quality). There's a bit of delay before the phone actually rings too; hopefully that's not amplified when I'm in SK/TW and especially when using VPN. I just got in on a deal for 3 years of VPN Unlimited for $19. Has apps for iOS, Android, Windows and Mac OS X and seems to work well.

Do you use the desktop version of the site or do you just enter the number via the mobile Google Voice site (I noticed there's an option for it but the interface isn't all that great either for mobile GV). I just wish this were all better integrated on Android; I just don't see why they've completely botched everything in attempts to head to Hangouts. Why disable all these features when Hangouts isn't even close to done as far as GV Integration...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.