Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Bose headphone issue driving me crazy; best alternative?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bose headphone issue driving me crazy; best alternative?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I've been getting 25-30 hours on each AAA in my QC2's for years. Am definitely in the "there's something wrong" camp.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by acomire
I use the JVC HANC250 and couldn't be happier. I am on about 4 flights a week and get about 3 weeks of battery life. They do sit on the ear rather than over but are still comfortable for long PHL>SFO flights. They also work without the power on which is a big plus.
I use these JVCs too. Recently flew 17.5 hrs JNB-ATL with them and they were great. Comfortable, good sound, and under $100 on Amazon.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I hadn't noticed that FastSRT8 resurrected a thread from 2013.... I'm sure the OP has moved on to a new solution by now.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Sennheiser does a pair of passive noise cancelling ear buds that are ridiculously comfortable and do the job as well as any Bose headphones I've ever used.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:51 am

Bose QC25 - Is it common for sound to drop off from one side?

I just got Bose Q25. I tried it out. It sounds and feels fantastic. But then after a while the sound appeared to cut in and out and then suddenly I was only getting sound through the right earpiece. I thought maybe it was the particular song I was listening to that did this. But the same thing happened on other songs. I turned off the power (ie, noise-cancelling), but it kept doing the same thing. I turned it on again, still sound only through the right. I unplugged the cable and replugged. Same thing. I then waited a while and then tried again. This time, it began working fine again. I googled this issue, and apparently I saw many people with similar issues but these were all people who had it for >1year and the problem was permanent. My problem was temporary and appeared to have fixed itself, because it was okay for the rest of the evening.

Do you think I got a bad product? Or is this a common nuisance with this product that I just have to put up with from time to time? Or do you think I'm not using it right?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I just got Bose Q25. I tried it out. It sounds and feels fantastic. But then after a while the sound appeared to cut in and out and then suddenly I was only getting sound through the right earpiece. I thought maybe it was the particular song I was listening to that did this. But the same thing happened on other songs. I turned off the power (ie, noise-cancelling), but it kept doing the same thing. I turned it on again, still sound only through the right. I unplugged the cable and replugged. Same thing. I then waited a while and then tried again. This time, it began working fine again. I googled this issue, and apparently I saw many people with similar issues but these were all people who had it for >1year and the problem was permanent. My problem was temporary and appeared to have fixed itself, because it was okay for the rest of the evening.

Do you think I got a bad product? Or is this a common nuisance with this product that I just have to put up with from time to time? Or do you think I'm not using it right?
I've had the QC25s for 4 years and have never experienced this unless I didn't have the headphone jack fully inserted in my phone or tablet.

I've since switched out the cable for the Btunes Bluetooth receiver and still no issues.

Assuming the connection checks out, I think you got a bum set. If you have a Bose kiosk somewhere in your travels, I'm sure they'll swap 'em out for you.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I've had the QC25s for 4 years and have never experienced this unless I didn't have the headphone jack fully inserted in my phone or tablet.

I've since switched out the cable for the Btunes Bluetooth receiver and still no issues.

Assuming the connection checks out, I think you got a bum set. If you have a Bose kiosk somewhere in your travels, I'm sure they'll swap 'em out for you.
Thanks. That's a bummer. I'll have to contact Amazon then.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Go get yourself a good set of rechargeable batteries -- not the cheap-os they last longer than cheap disposables.
In my experience, even good quality rechargeable NiMH AAAs won't last much longer per charge than good quality alkaline disposables. OTOH, they're much less wasteful, and unlike the cheapie NiMH batteries they won't lose charge in storage.

If you don't feel like paying for the higher-priced Eneloop-branded batteries (which are usually the safest bet) there are getting to be some pretty good non-brand low-self-discharge batteries (e.g. the AmazonBasics ones, I think I've seen Kirkland branded ones as well) -- just look for "low-self-discharged" or "pre-charged and ready to use." Costco also often has big multipack deals on the Eneloop branded ones.

Having said that, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me; my QC25s are I think their most recent wired, replaceable-battery ones but I've easily gotten close to the advertised 35 hours of use out of each battery, and there's a slot for a spare battery in the carry case so I just replace the spare ahead of time and have only gotten surprised once.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by nkedel
In my experience, even good quality rechargeable NiMH AAAs won't last much longer per charge than good quality alkaline disposables. OTOH, they're much less wasteful, and unlike the cheapie NiMH batteries they won't lose charge in storage.

If you don't feel like paying for the higher-priced Eneloop-branded batteries (which are usually the safest bet) there are getting to be some pretty good non-brand low-self-discharge batteries (e.g. the AmazonBasics ones, I think I've seen Kirkland branded ones as well) -- just look for "low-self-discharged" or "pre-charged and ready to use." Costco also often has big multipack deals on the Eneloop branded ones.

Having said that, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me; my QC25s are I think their most recent wired, replaceable-battery ones but I've easily gotten close to the advertised 35 hours of use out of each battery, and there's a slot for a spare battery in the carry case so I just replace the spare ahead of time and have only gotten surprised once.
I use the Amazon basics AAA. They work great! And I keep an extra one in the case.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn

I have seen this a couple of times on other headsets.
Both times, it was due to an internal failure of the wiring inside the product.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Montoya080
I have seen this a couple of times on other headsets.
Both times, it was due to an internal failure of the wiring inside the product.
I think I'm going to try to return this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.