FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Bose headphone issue driving me crazy; best alternative? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1514066-bose-headphone-issue-driving-me-crazy-best-alternative.html)

flyingdervish Oct 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Bose headphone issue driving me crazy; best alternative?

My Bose headphones are great in every way but I use them all the time and I probably go through 4 batteries a week. It's expensive and a pain and I have to carry batteries with me everywhere I go.

What is the best alternative to Bose for a frequent traveler that needs to tune out airplane noise? (I understand the Bose were especially designed for airplane noise?)

Sound quality is important but not as important is tuning out airplane sounds when flying. (Yes, I already have ear plugs!)

johndoe123 Oct 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyingdervish (Post 21639594)
My Bose headphones are great in every way but I use them all the time and I probably go through 4 batteries a week. It's expensive and a pain and I have to carry batteries with me everywhere I go.

What is the best alternative to Bose for a frequent traveler that needs to tune out airplane noise? (I understand the Bose were especially designed for airplane noise?)

Sound quality is important but not as important is tuning out airplane sounds when flying. (Yes, I already have ear plugs!)

Go get yourself a good set of rechargeable batteries -- not the cheap-os they last longer than cheap disposables.

Alternatively, try the "lithium" ones at the store and see if they last longer.

Or get one of those cheap 50 pack of batteries off amazon and just pitch them as you go.

Or, sell the Bose to me.

I have a noise cancelling set by able planet. I like it. It lasts 8 hours on a c harge, and unlike the Bose, it can play music with the power in the "off" setting without noise cancelling. Great for when they tell you to turn off electronic devices and IFE, or when the batteries are dead.

I got it for $80 off a woot.com special, but look around.

Baghoarder Oct 20, 2013 5:52 pm

If you want to stay with the Bose, have you considered the QC20/20i in-ear model? Rechargeable battery. I am getting about ten hours out of each charge on mine. And they still work (but without the noise cancelling) when the battery is flat. And the space saving is significant.

TeePeeGuy Oct 20, 2013 8:43 pm

QC20 also does a better job on noise canceling.

flyboy_421 Oct 20, 2013 11:03 pm

Personal favorite, having moved from the Bose a long time ago are the Ultimate Ears Customs. You can go with the bottom of the line UE-4s, they cost 400 bucks plus a trip to an audiologist, but you'll never find anything as comfortable, nor that blocks as much sound. They are also tiny and can fit in you pocket.

Swissaire Oct 21, 2013 2:49 pm

I purchased the Bose "noise-cancelling " headphone once for transatlantic flights, with the same experience, a few years ago.

Midflight, or even earlier, the power would stop. On one 10-hour flight, they went out twice.

I replaced the set with a Bang & Olufsen Beosound 6 Mp3 player, which can load music files, or charge off a USB plug from a laptop. The battery alone on continual play typically remains charged for 10-14 hours. Featherweight B&O in-ear headphones too.

Everything packs into a small bag that I put into one of the Rimowa amenity kits I received on LH.

Lesson learned. I gave the Bose set away to someone who wanted it.

projectalpha Oct 22, 2013 2:46 am

Try using rechargable batteries like johndoe123 said. Eneloop batteries aren't something I can live without since I discovered them.

Mapnz Nov 22, 2013 4:45 am

bose QC 15 what battery to use?

Lithium batteries are twice the price of alkaline ones
Do you get twice the life ?

acomire Nov 22, 2013 7:34 am

I use the JVC HANC250 and couldn't be happier. I am on about 4 flights a week and get about 3 weeks of battery life. They do sit on the ear rather than over but are still comfortable for long PHL>SFO flights. They also work without the power on which is a big plus.

1kBill Nov 22, 2013 8:27 am

Have you checked with Bose on what seems to be excessive battery use? Something doesn't seem right.

I have QC2's and read that I could expect about 50 hours of use out of a battery - which is about what I get. I'm very, very pleased with them.

I would first check with Bose customer service. My experiences have all been excellent - as they should be since the product is rather costly.

IsleOfMan Nov 22, 2013 12:08 pm

I've been very happy with the Audio Technica ANC27 set that I replaced my QC2s with. One major benefit is that they work as passive headphones for music/movie listening even with the Noise Cancelling powered off or if the battery is dead. The QC2s were useless when the battery died. That's not why I replaced them (repeated cracking of the rotation mechanism and finally continuous flaking of the outer ear pad material).

FastSRT8 Apr 19, 2014 10:27 am

There is definitely something wrong here.

I have the QC3 and recently acquired QC20i.

Both can go well over 10 hours.

Ive been transpacific and atlantic with these and no problems.

I think maybe you should use fresh batteries before each flight OR as others stated, use rechargeable batteries and make sure you charge them before your departure.

marble Apr 19, 2014 11:33 am

I've got the QC15s and I think, according to Bose they should last 35 hours on a single battery. I'm not sure what affects the battery life (how noisy the environment is?) but I'd guess mine easily last that long.

I guess if battery usage became a problem then rechargeables seem the obvious way to go. You can get some very small battery chargers which are powered by USB (so it could be recharged from the laptop or one of those external USB battery packs).

LondonElite Apr 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Something wrong here...I have several Bose headsets, including QC15, and easily get 30+ hours out of fresh battery.

IanFromHKG Apr 22, 2014 9:39 am

Likewise. I don't use my Bose QC15s that often but got about 40 hours. And it's only one freaking AAA battery...

However, if that is really too much of a financial burden, then passive headphones might be the way to go