Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New Apple Airpods and Microsoft Surface

Old Nov 15, 18, 8:25 am
Original Poster

I love my Apple Airpods for my day-to-day life, but my main laptop is a Microsoft Surface. While I can pair my Airpods with my Surface, it can't keep a connection with my iPhone at the same time. I see the new Airpods will support Bluetooth 5.0. Would that help?
Old Nov 19, 18, 11:05 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Hello Stu.... you mention you have a Surface Laptop. Is it by chance one of the new Surface Book 2 models...?

Ive been waiting for the release of the Book 2 series, and now that its been out for a couple of months, Im hoping to get some first hand reviews & thoughts from FTers that have had one of these.

Thanks !!
Old Nov 19, 18, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

No. I have a Surface Pro LTE. Unfortunately, Microsoft always takes about six extra months to roll out their LTE products?
Old Nov 26, 18, 1:06 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Titanium Elite, Alaska MVP Gold
Itís possible the AirPod successors (whenever they are released) will support pairing with two devices at a time (keep in mind, youíll still have to manually switch between the two), but thatís not contingent on BT 5.0. BT 4.1 and 4.2 can connect to multiple devices at the same time (usually two), I believe the reason AirPods donít is because Apple prioritizes bandwidth over connections to make the latency as low as possible. BT 5.0 has higher bandwidth so that could allow to multiple simultaneous pairs at once.

One of the reasons the W1 chip is in AirPods is to aid in the pairing with other Apple devices for faster switching, but that doesnít work with the Surface 2 or any other non-Apple device.

Despite questionable part leaks, itís not clear when weíll see the next iteration of AirPods. The two-year anniversary is coming up and an update would certainly sell well (Iíll be the first to buy them if there is any functional upgrade ó if the only update is wireless charging, Iím uninterested), but I legitimately doubt weíll see them before the end of the year. My personal prediction is that we see them in March, assuming Apple follows its pattern of doing non-Pro iPad updates in the spring (potentially alongside a new Mac Pro or refreshed iMac/iMac Pro machines).

But it even if the nexf AirPods support BT 5.0, thereís no guarantee Apple will let multiple non-Apple devices pair simultaneously.

Search this Thread