Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Just for completeness: small size is nice but it's not the only concern possible http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l-routers.html
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
What's the use of these? Give me a practical situation where they were useful for you.
Also, it has been helpful for me when WiFi is only good in an inconvenient part of the room relative to where I want my device(s) to be.

What I keep intending to do but haven't done yet is to originate a VPN tunnel from the travel router so that all devices can share a secure link.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:37 am

Well I managed to break the microUSB connector on my 6258n, it came loose rather and it seems you can't buy one anymore for the previous sub $30 price! Since there seems to be no equivalent (micro router with two RJ45s) I guess I'll try to have it fixed.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by webvan
Well I managed to break the microUSB connector on my 6258n, it came loose rather and it seems you can't buy one anymore for the previous sub $30 price! Since there seems to be no equivalent (micro router with two RJ45s) I guess I'll try to have it fixed.
There are a couple of other travel-sized routers with multiple Ethernet ports, such as the TP-LINK TL-WR710N, or the ZyXEL MWR102, but I don't have personal experience with either. Without looking, I bet that neither is as small as the Edimax 6258n.

The ZyXEL seems to be the smaller of the two, and it's going for only $15 on Amazon right now, so it might be worth a shot. If you're still wedded to the 6258n, I had been using mine as a network bridge at home but I retired it last month when I implemented my 802.11ac home network.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by dakuda
It was $15 when it was posted. I looked, but didn't buy. Sometimes those Amazon price drops are brief.
It's back at $15, albeit through a 3rd-party seller.

Will do OpenWRT:
https://github.com/wingspinner/HooTo...T-TM02-OpenWRT
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
For those with the Edimax 6258NL - are you happy with it overall? Has it been a solid performer? Does it work in hotels that have a login page for the wifi?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
This little guy looks interesting. Multi international plugs, ethernet, router, repeater and USB port all in one.

30% off for another day.

https://store.gizmag.com/sales/the-s...ly?quantity=1#
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by nmenaker
This little guy looks interesting. Multi international plugs, ethernet, router, repeater and USB port all in one.

30% off for another day.

https://store.gizmag.com/sales/the-s...ly?quantity=1#
Intriguing little device. Hardly expensive. If I hadn't just paid $15 for the Hootoo, I'd probably get one to try it.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Anyone tried the Kingston 5-in-1 mobile companion?

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Smart.../dp/B00KU2E9IW
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:15 am

It reminds me of the RavPower 5in1, not bad but the WiFi sensitivity is quite limited and I've had problems dealing with low signals in some hotels.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:55 pm

Just read through this long thread and have decided on getting the ASUS WL-330NUL.
Checked the Asus site and there seems to be a new firmware available:

ASUS WL-330NUL Firmware Version 3.0.0.41
1.Fix firmware upgrade GUI issue
2.Support Mac 10.10

Not sure if there were any firmware versions between 37 and 41, so I'm wondering if someone could try the new FW and see if the security hole is still present?

Thanks
Old May 17, 2015, 6:40 pm

So I've done some testing over the past couple of days and here are my findings.

The security hole is still present in 3.0.0.41. Also, I couldn't get AP/bridge mode working on this firmware version (not even in USB network adapter mode).

I ended up downgrading to 3.0.0.20 (downloaded from here) which doesn't have the security hole and which also allows manually choosing AP/bridge mode (as mentioned earlier in this thread).

For those of you wondering, AP/bridge mode is when the adapter bridges the external LAN/WiFi network to the internal network without interfering, putting DHCP and or NAT in between. It's basically as if you would connect your PC directly to the LAN/WiFi without the Asus adapter in between.

Initially I had some issues accessing the web GUI after downgrading the firmware, so I ended up upgrading and then downgrading FW again, resetting settings to default afterwards. Second time around everything worked well.

I made a small connection guide for the modes I would use the most that I put on my device for ease of use. The how to steps are valid for the 3.0.0.20 firmware.

Attached is the spreadsheet if you'd like to print one for yourself.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20how-to.xlsx

I also scratched off the supervisor code on the device itself for added security.

One thing that I couldn't get working on 3.0.0.20 is the "LAN to USB & Wifi mode" but this mode is not important to me.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:32 am

Very helpful eddiekk.

Thanks for posting! ^
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum/OW Sapphire, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Looking to upgrade on my Edimax 6258NL. Looks like some of you have picked up the HooToo router. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it. The Amazon reviews are a mixed bag from multiple products in 1 listing, which is kind of cheating. I'm looking at the
HooToo TripMate Nano HooToo TripMate Nano

I'm really quite surprised that there aren't more of these kinds of devices from manufacturers. With the rise of streaming & streaming devices, you'd think they'd be all over it.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by eyeNina
Looking to upgrade on my Edimax 6258NL. Looks like some of you have picked up the HooToo router. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on it. The Amazon reviews are a mixed bag from multiple products in 1 listing, which is kind of cheating. I'm looking at the HooToo TripMate Nano.
I purchased a RavPower FileHub WD03, sister to Hootoo all-in-one type gadgets. It uses the same app as HooToo and presumably has the same security concern- there's no firewall included with the firmware. Until the most recent firmware upgrade the telnet was open, password change didn't stick, and the factory password is easily searchable via google. Firmware upgrade fixes the password change sticking and telnet is still open, albeit with changeable password. What is somewhat unique is it can copy data from an SD card to a USB mounted drive via smartphone app which supports samba protocol. Another useful function is to stream media via samba and UPnP/DLNA from device. It does support wifi WPA2. In short, the advertised functionality works but lax security makes me look elsewhere for the actual travel router function.

DLink DIR-510L might offer a bit more on their multifunction travel router from a security angle. If you have the time and tech skills, you can also change the firmware on HooToo nano to OpenWRT.

Last edited by freecia; Jul 21, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.