Wiki Posts
Search

Knee Defender Gadget

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by HMO
In other words, you are advocating that is OK to use illegal, ops, prohibited items. Nice.
That's the mentality of Knee Defender people.

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
Rather than penalising the bloke in front of you if you're tall, which is really your problem, just quit being a cheapass and buy a premium ticket like the rest of us. Your "courtesy cards" are ridiculous, the airlines have given you the option of extra space at cost and you've chosen sardine option. Let me highlight the important word in that sentence for you.
I like the courtesy cards. Upon receiving one passengers will know they are dealing with a goof with a sense of entitlement and can respond accordingly.

The appropriate response is to call the FA and explain the situation so they can handle it. But there is a temptation just to remove the offending item yourself to see if Knee Defender people would do anything about it. Most likely they wouldn't utter a peep.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:14 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I like the courtesy cards. Upon receiving one passengers will know they are dealing with a goof with a sense of entitlement and can respond accordingly.
I don't recall any case involving Knee Defender in the media where these cards were used. Every time the device was deployed without any warning.

It seems for KD users, courtesy is a one way street, only not for them.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMO
I don't recall any case involving Knee Defender in the media where these cards were used. Every time the device was deployed without any warning.

It seems for KD users, courtesy is a one way street, only not for them.
They do seem based on the posts here and the comments of the "inventor" to lean very heavily towards the jerk category.

The benefit of this thread is making the rest of us aware of them. Now before take off I do a quick test recline to see if the seat works. Should it suddenly stop working during the flight I can investigate to see whether some dumbass is using a Knee Defender on my seat. Then the fun can begin.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:19 am

They do seem based on the posts here and the comments of the "inventor" to lean very heavily towards the jerk category.

The benefit of this thread is making the rest of us aware of them. Now before take off I do a quick test recline to see if the seat works. Should it suddenly stop working during the flight I can investigate to see whether some dumbass is using a Knee Defender on my seat. Then the fun can begin.
Interesting that, when you say you'll be checking things out before takeoff, you make no mention of checking to see if the pax seated behind you has long legs that your seatback would hit if you recline all the way.

And no mention of checking to see if the pax behind you has a lap-baby whose head you might smack if you recline.

IOW, no mention of you taking the time to establish full situational awareness before you exercise your "right" to recline.

You sound like the kind of guy who'd pleasantly drive right through a group of people crossing the street, "But they weren't in a crosswalk, and I had the right-of-way, eh."
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I don't think it's much of a problem -- just notify an FA immediately. There's no way they will permit a passenger to use one of these on someone else's seat.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: QF

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/knee-def...up-for-device/

Responses seem pretty selfish to me.

Solution = Forward cabins, not a 20 dollar piece of plastic tat.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:25 am

Solution = Forward cabins, not a 20 dollar piece of plastic tat.
If you mean seats that "recline" by sliding the seat-bottom forward, I agree 100%. Been saying that for 11+ years.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Knee Defender
Interesting that, when you say you'll be checking things out before takeoff, you make no mention of checking to see if the pax seated behind you has long legs that your seatback would hit if you recline all the way.

And no mention of checking to see if the pax behind you has a lap-baby whose head you might smack if you recline.

IOW, no mention of you taking the time to establish full situational awareness before you exercise your "right" to recline.
Those people need to speak up for themselves. If they want to discuss their problem then I will oblige in genuine cases of discomfort. But if it just happens to be some prima donna who just needs to use his lap top then tough luck for him.

And if one of the suckers you conned into buying a device prohibited by the airlines attempts to install it then they will have a problem.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I generally stay out of these threads, but when a mod here says something as categorically, manifestly, factually untrue about Knee Defender... Well, here I am.

The US FAA has stated publicly, over a period of 11 years, on numerous occasions, that Knee Defender is legal to use on US aircraft, except at times when the tray table must be stowed.

Now, you may think the FAA is wrong to have decided that the product does not require FAA approval.

But as long as that is the FAA's position, then the product is legal, full stop.

And even let's say that the FAA should have decided that use of the product is subject to it's approval. Even in that case, unless and until it made that decision, the product is legal to use simply because the FAA has said it is.

So, damn the product and damn me for having invented it. But stop the nonsense about the product's legality. Ask any aviation attorney - tall, short, a recliner or not - and he/she will tell you that the product is legal to use on US aircraft.
I stand (sit) corrected.

A moderator or not makes no difference, other than what relates to FlyerTalk.

Nonetheless, several airlines have banned the device from being used on their airline. And it was an airline employee who told me the device could not be used - I think, since your post, that person should have stated correctly "on takeoff or landing" and that on the airline in question it was banned by the airline - which still creates trouble for anyone insisting on their "right" to use the product on any airline banning it

I was too gullible. My apology. I hope not to ever have any "official business" with an aviation attorney. Ever.

I both check the person behind me before I recline and usually advocate successfully for myself before someone in front of me attempts to recline. I'm 6'3" / 193 cm and long of leg, so say, BA Euro Traveller and Club Euro Traveller at the new 30" pitch does not allow me to sit in such a way I dont block the seat in front of me.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 21, 2014 at 8:35 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF
If you mean seats that "recline" by sliding the seat-bottom forward, I agree 100%. Been saying that for 11+ years.
They exist, have you not been in Business or First before?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:43 pm
HMO

There are few int'l airlines with this kind of seat in economy. But the top of the shell will still invade the behind pax "airspace".

And I'm pretty sure the Knee Defender won't work at these seats
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:49 pm
Suspended

They exist, have you not been in Business or First before?
There's no reason he shouldn't be able to fly up front with the money he's conned from the suckers who bought his banned device.

Last edited by Badenoch; Nov 23, 2014 at 6:12 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:13 am

I would expect a person who buys this would be the type of person to turn off my reading light because it is too bright and bothers his/her eyes, and to reach across from the aisle seat to close the window shade because "the look of clouds is upsetting."
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
^
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by OrcaSnack
I would expect a person who buys this would be the type of person to turn off my reading light because it is too bright and bothers his/her eyes, and to reach across from the aisle seat to close the window shade because "the look of clouds is upsetting."
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I'm curious though, have things like that happened to you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.