Reload this Page >

Best International and Domestic Carry On Bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best International and Domestic Carry On Bag

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by Consultette
Some of us have found that spinners are not conducive to how/where we travel. Unfortunately, most spinners have proven that the wheels are more likely to run into problems and one wheel being "off" can really throw off the usability of the whole bag. Spinners are great if your to/from is limited to cabs/cars/airports. Unfortunately city streets can be a beast on spinner luggage and occasionally checking a spinner opens you up to even more "wheel" problems.
Depends on the quality of the bag. I have had my share of spinners dying, but ditto with wheelies. Finally I spent proper money on a good (Victorinox) spinner and had no problems at all. And, of course, you can still tilt it and use it like a wheelie

Originally Posted by boltjames
Men don't use spinners. That's where the bias comes from.

BJ
Ha! Maybe in your world. In mine, that just ain't true...
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Originally Posted by chx1975
This must be so, I am 6'3" and 220+lbs and noone questions my Magma Rolltop II backpack which I believe is packed to be about 22 x 16 x 9 (ops). But then again I am wide enough in the shoulders to barely fit in these 17-17.5" economy seats so if the gate agent faces me the backpack is mostly invisible. Perhaps the green body paint and the loincloth made from tattered pants help too? :P
Maybe that method will get popular!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by peter11
Maybe that method will get popular!
The "6'3" and 220lb" method or the "green body paint and loincloth" method? I don't think I could ever pull off either!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:13 pm

Can someone explain how it is that B & R facebook page shows a U121SPW fitting into the United Sizer? That bag is supposed to be 15.5 inches wide. Hopefully this link works.....otherwise just go to their Facebook page and scroll down a couple of posts:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Can someone explain how it is that B & R facebook page shows a U121SPW fitting into the United Sizer? That bag is supposed to be 15.5 inches wide. Hopefully this link works.....otherwise just go to their Facebook page and scroll down a couple of posts:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Well, to me it looks like it sticks out of the sizer in that dimension.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Well, to me it looks like it sticks out of the sizer in that dimension.
There are different types of UA sizers. Some are open at both ends, some at just one end, and some are fully enclosed. Might be a tight squeeze in the enclosed ones, but probably close enough otherwise.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
There are different types of UA sizers. Some are open at both ends, some at just one end, and some are fully enclosed. Might be a tight squeeze in the enclosed ones, but probably close enough otherwise.
It is the top of the sizer where the problem is. That is the 15.5 inch dimension.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:24 pm

It is the top of the sizer where the problem is. That is the 15.5 inch dimension.
But in the photo it looks like it is well below the top of the sizer....look at the back panel of the sizer relative to the top. I know that the sizer is 10 inches wide notwithstanding the fact that 9 inches is the stated maximum. Perhaps it is an inch or so deeper too?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:27 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

But in the photo it looks like it is well below the top of the sizer....look at the back panel of the sizer relative to the top. I know that the sizer is 10 inches wide notwithstanding the fact that 9 inches is the stated maximum. Perhaps it is an inch or so deeper too?
To me it looks higher than the front wall of the sizer.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-2014-a.html Actual sizer dimensions: 10"x15"x23".
Old May 16, 2014, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Please understand that I am not aiming this at you but rather the actions of the agent, but this is what really garners the most ill-will and bad feelings between typical passengers, the elite flyers, and the airlines. To play favorites in such a situation, in such a blatant way, I think really reflects poorly on frequent travelers. Yes, we do have benefits from being such frequent flyers and get priority handling, but it should be handled in an orderly, policy driven way. Not based on how fancy your clothes or bags are. I hate to think that we are still in a time when looks are the most important factor. I don't need or want to be competing on whether my luggage fits the airlines style guide.
Yeah. I do hate this because I am a frequent business traveler, and if it's anything like a redeye or something that I can get some shuteye, I'll dress like a total slob with my gym pants and a t-shirt so I can sleep. Just as long as I have enough time to make it to the lounge and change I'll make sure I dress comfortable. Have I probably missed a few upgrades here and there as a result? Yep.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on the figures posted earlier:

U121CXW (Baseline) INTERNATIONAL 2480 cubic inches

Dimensions: 8" x 15.5" x 20" / 20.3 x 39.4 x 50.8 cm
Weight: 9.3 lbs / 4.2 kg

U122CX (Baseline) DOMESTIC 2264 cubic inches

Dimensions: 7.7" x 14" x 21" / 19.6 x 35.6 x 53.3 cm
Weight: 8.9 lbs / 4.0 kg

It seems like both bags are fine for use with BA which use 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) including handles, pockets and wheels and max weight 23kg. For comparison I noted easyJet use 56 x 45 x 25cm as well and Ryanair is 55 x 40 x 20cm. Looking at the dimensions shows there's quite a bit of tolerance left and I could perhaps go for a bigger bag?

I always thought AA had a much bigger carry on allowance than BA given the size and amount of luggage I see on their flights or connecting to the BA flights I take. So I was surprised to read the limit 56 x 36 x 23cm which is less than easyJet! I understand why the domestic is recommended more to FTers flying US airlines.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:38 pm

The bags mentioned are high end Briggs and Riley, Victorinix, etc. and they are not lightweight by any means. I recently bought a couple of Travelpro Maxlite 3 for $80 each from LuggagePros that are exactly 22x14x9 (except the top handle is padded and it does stick up 1/2 inch) and they weigh just 6.5 lbs. Partly the weight savings comes from being stripped of organizational features, and there's only one exterior pocket. Two or three pounds less suitcase makes a difference when up against a 17.5 lbs limit for carryon. I considered even lighter rolling bags but wanted a structured frame to support a sleeved tote on top. And I wanted a 2 wheeled bag because they hold more than spinners.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I am looking for a new suitcase that I can take internationally. All the 15.5 in cases have now been discarded by me. Looking at the B&R U122CX a number of reviewers on Amazon have measured the case and it comes to 23 inches in height. They also say that they have to put it in sideways on some planes. So that rules that out for me. So I am left with the commuter upright or the international Torq, or a Tumi product. Not sure if the Torq can handle five days of clothes. It is 9.4x14.3x 21.4 outside dimensions.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:52 pm

Depends on how you define "five days of clothes." I've done 4-5 day trips with my discontinued Victorinox Mobilizer NXT 20", including 3 suits, 4 dress shirts workout clothes and shoes (flat minimalist), sleep clothes, undergarments, socks, toiletries, and a pair of jeans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.