Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Travel Items (with a bonus or two)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Top 10 Travel Items (with a bonus or two)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
1 - Just got this one to replace a 110V power strip, 220V power strip, and USB power strip. Works just great at both voltages and allows me to charge my phone and travel router off the USB ports. Don't have an iPAD so I don't have to worry about 2.1A requirements. Also, this one has a fold-able 3-prong with ground so that I don't have any floating voltage on my laptop or phone when using 220V.
2 - Got some of these and they work great to allow me to access power outlets under the desk instead of having to reach down every day to plug my laptop and other accessories under there. The rotating/flat plug is a great plus.
3 - Great snacks to bring with me and can substitute for a meal when airline food is bad or when in a 3rd world country when there are no suitable restaurants around.
4 - Got this one to use when I travel and no longer need to take off my belt in security. Also I use it to carry some extra cash around just in case.
5 - Great travel water bottle that doesn't leak at all and is easy to clean.
6 - Got one of these as well as the UK-style. I found the all-in-one styles don't have a ground and are therefore not ideal to use.
7 - These work great to bring shampoo and bath gel with me where I go, as some places have dodgy items. They are very easy to fill and clean.
8 - Great mousepad to go with a n even better mouse. The mousepad is placed in my laptop before I close it up to provide some cushioning for the screen. The mouse does churn through batteries, but it comes with a small coil-able USB cable that allows it to be used as a backup in case your batteries run out or on a customer's computer that doesn't have Bluetooth.
9 - This tablet with the dock are awesome to have. I use it to web browse and skype in the hotel when doing work on my work PC. Also, with the dock I can get upwards of 15 hours of battery life, which works out great to use it to watch movies and tv shows on long flights.
10 - What can I say, I always like to have a stapler with me.
11 - The obligatory ipod works great for workouts or for listening to music in flights. Battery lasts forever and it easily clips onto my shirt's front pocket.
12 - This router works great and even has a USB port for use with 3G/4G dongles. The only problem is the included power supply is a monster, so I replaced it with a usb cable that works just great.
13 - Gotta have extra power for when your cell phone runs outta juice.
14 - Great for packing undershirts, underwear, workout clothes, etc... on the outbound and amazing at packing dirty smelly laundry on the inbound.
15 - Expensive, sure, but the best travel electric toothbrush I know of. The case charges the toothbrush with a USB cable... enough said.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:41 am

I am a big fan of "kits" and boxes of any kind
In my top five travel items i always have:
1. a basic first aid kit (bandages, regular strength pain medication, low grade disinfectant).
2. I also carry a small sewing kit.
3. My photo camera
4. music "to go"
5. instant coffee (just in case is no coffee around... )
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I pick up a lot of useful ideas in threads like these. Thanks for starting it.

Unless I missed it, no one has mentioned eBags packing cubes.

http://www.ebags.com/category/packin...acking%20cuber

My wife has a Modella hanging cosmetics organizer. Load these up with little bottles of all those products the ladies seem to require (she puts each item into a tiny plastic baggie in case anything leaks), has to go in your checked luggage (because its full of liquid items), then just hang it on the back of the bathroom door when you reach your destination. Here's something similar on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Household-Esse...9093905&sr=8-2

I agree with the OP's comment about ExOfficio underwear. On long international trips, I also bring quick dry shirts and pants (purchased at REI and Bass Pro Shops).
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
ummm Stethoscope?????? do please tell us more!
Occupational hazard.

Originally Posted by thegasguru
So he can auscultate his luggage to diagnose any shifting of contents.

But a seasoned traveller would know how to percuss the luggage, and thus save more space by leaving the stethoscope at home.

Lol. Now there's an image.

Not for luggage, but for people. It's actually very difficult to listen for breath sounds and a heart beat when the engines are roaring and there's at least one kid crying.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Great find on the new charger by Scosche! I've liked their products in the past and 10w per port + folding prongs is awesome. Sold! There's a 20% coupon from retailmenot.com if you order directly from scosche
There a new model with 4 usb connections and 10w per port coming end of june.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:52 pm

Love the lists. I like trying to figure out what else I can bring to improve my travel efficiency.

I like to bring zip-loc bags. They're used for toiletry, and carry whatever items I'd like somewhat separated and kept from spilling over.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:41 pm

Will definitely have to look into some of these days. I also second ziploc bags, I use them to pack things based on similar usage.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
iGo Green Anywhere Charger - http://amzn.to/LhzZCF - Can charge my laptop and my phone (or anything else with a USB) from a wall, in the car or on airplanes that have DC power.

Red Oxx Sky Train or Air Boss + CPA - http://www.redoxx.com/ - We know I'm a big fan, and for a reason. I use the Air Boss when traveling with suits and Sky Train at other times. The CPA is my daily brief case. When I go to Europe and will be flying LH, which has harsh carry on rules, I carry the Air Boss and the Red Oxx Gator. Put my laptop and charging gear in the middle of the Air Boss, with my cameras, lenses, wallet and other sundries in the Gator.

Emergen-C - Used to be a niche product, but most people now know how great this stuff is in rejuvenating a person after a long night/long travels.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:06 pm

Red lipstick and big smile then......

Just chat up the luggage men at the hotel. They find me adapters, chargers , laptop cables etc etc everytime. One hotel had over 50 left iPod chargers in boxes dated by month.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Just chat up the luggage men at the hotel. They find me adapters, chargers , laptop cables etc etc everytime. One hotel had over 50 left iPod chargers in boxes dated by month.
This works quite well even sans lipstick if you've forgotten or misplaced a cable. Never done it on purpose before though.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Red lipstick and big smile then......

Originally Posted by oshelef
This works quite well even sans lipstick if you've forgotten or misplaced a cable. Never done it on purpose before though.
No need for the buttering up.

I have ask and received a micro usb charger from the concierge at two different hotels on both sides of the pond.

I have also made many contributions to this charger "pool" worldwide.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
#5 is useless to me as I regularly fly outside of Canada.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Merino Wool underwear and t-shirts

I tried the Ex-Officio underwear, but I found that the Icebreaker basics in merino wool work far better, and don't stink at all after a couple of wearings. So now I pack just two pairs of wool undies and two wool t-shirts, and some packets of Woolite, and wash them in the hotel sink. Makes packing a Salsa Air with room to spare quite easy.

I almost always bring a Crumpler toiletries bag that contains an AeroPress with Able's disk filter, a Porlex Mini hand grinder, a KeepCup, and a bag of coffee beans. As long as I can get hot water, I can have great coffee anywhere in the world. Many coffee shops sell the AeroPress/Porlex combo as a traveler's kit.

InCase's mini USB cable set works with just about every device with a USB port, and takes up a lot less space than a bunch of long cables.

The Mophie JuicePack is a handy everyday tool to keep your iPhone charged up.

And these compact plug adapters are super handy.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
So he can auscultate his luggage to diagnose any shifting of contents.

But a seasoned traveller would know how to percuss the luggage, and thus save more space by leaving the stethoscope at home.
LOL!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:27 pm

Don't forget paracord!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.