Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Travel Items (with a bonus or two)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Top 10 Travel Items (with a bonus or two)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
This is my current external battery of choice. I find it's the best balance between power (9000 mAh!!) and size. It has dual USB ports for charging, including a high-power 2A port for charging high capacity devices like the latest iPad. It also has a built in micro USB cable, which is pretty convenient for hooking up to your phone while it sits in your briefcase or purse, as well as allowing you to actually charge 3 devices simultaneously if you want.

Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
That is a great and helpful list. Thanks for posting. The only thing I don't get is the duct tape? Do you guys make repairs in your hotel rooms???
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by mapu
That is a great and helpful list. Thanks for posting. The only thing I don't get is the duct tape? Do you guys make repairs in your hotel rooms???
You never know when you'll need to make repairs. Always bring duct tape and wd-40; one to bind things together, and another to separate them.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mapu
Be Prepared!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Every traveler should have a MacGuyver Kit!

There is a thread somewhere here on FT. I think it might have been tfar who had a really good list.

Here's mine inspired by that thread.

A small pencil half wrapped with duct tape, half wrapped with clear tape
4 colorful zip ties
four rubber bands - wrapped around the pencil
two safety pins
two paper clips
two small clothes pins
crazy glue
two bandages
nail clipper

There are one or two other items. All of it maintained in a very small plastic case that held a travel first aid kit from the dollar store

Maps
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I'd like to add a new item to the list. An extension cord, like this household GE 12-foot extension cord we all have laying around the house! I started traveling with one and can't believe I forgot to bring something so simple. In addition to getting some extra length, you get three outlets.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 3:41 pm

When travelling to colder places, Merino products are essential. Just wear as many layers as you need to keep warm. They happily go 12 days without needing a wash when the weather is cold.

I also love my bluetooth Moshi Bassburger. I can pair it with my laptop or phone. Great for listening to music or anything that needs sound on the laptop (eg conference calls).

I love the compactness of the Cygnett Powerbase II 10W USB charger. It's the smallest two port USB charger I've found for Australia. It does have a very bright LED, but it's easily fixed with some strategically placed electrical tape. http://au.cygnett.com/products/conne...-cable-au.html

I also always carry a portable battery USB charger. I have a larger one and a smaller one, and take whatever is more suitable for each trip.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: QFF
I use an Eagle Creek Pack-It Sac with a lanyard to keep items accessible in the cabin. I hook the lanyard over the coat hook, or if necessary around my neck. I put things like lip balm, my watch and rings, iPhone, hand cream, earplugs, pain killers, Fess nasal spray, nail file, a small pump bottle of water (to spray on my face/in the air), tissues etc in it. I also carry a small LED torch, which I attach to the lanyard too. In a dark cabin it's easier to find things on the floor using it than by using the overhead reading light.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Diamond
These are some great suggestions. I've become partial to the Ex Officio boxers over the past year, and I never board a plane without wearing some form of ScottEVest apparel.

This year I added a small, superbright flashlight to the mix. I care one of these. Because, well, you never know. It's small enough to fit in my pocket and just the right size to fit in my hand.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
I'd like to add a new item to the list. An extension cord, like this household GE 12-foot extension cord we all have laying around the house! I started traveling with one and can't believe I forgot to bring something so simple. In addition to getting some extra length, you get three outlets.
Your link was to the white cord, which is a good idea. I have forgotten my basic brown cord before; the white is a little more visible and not as likely to be left behind packing up in a hurry.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
Another addition - a Bellroy travel wallet, and a micro sim card carrying sleeve. The wallet holds my passport, in addition to all the other good stuff (FF cards and whatever I don't want in my regular wallet, but need while travelling). The sim sleeve was bought based on a suggestion I saw somewhere else on FT. It has room for 5 micro sim cards (mine's full) and an iPhone sim removal tool.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by DrSavant
Another addition - a Bellroy travel wallet, and a micro sim card carrying sleeve. The wallet holds my passport, in addition to all the other good stuff (FF cards and whatever I don't want in my regular wallet, but need while travelling). The sim sleeve was bought based on a suggestion I saw somewhere else on FT. It has room for 5 micro sim cards (mine's full) and an iPhone sim removal tool.
The GF got me one of these Bellroy travel wallets too. Looks great and the leather wears very nicely.

Old May 11, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
This week, I picked up a reversible (brown/black), braided leather belt from a Bass shoe outlet store. Not something I'd normally wear, but for traveling, it will allow me to eliminate packing an extra belt to match whatever contrasting color I've packed for a particular trip. Not much of a space savings, but one less thing to pack (since I'm wearing it on the plane), and I'll find something to do with the approximately 10 cubic inches the extra belt would have taken up.
Old May 11, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by thegasguru
This is my current external battery of choice. I find it's the best balance between power (9000 mAh!!) and size. It has dual USB ports for charging, including a high-power 2A port for charging high capacity devices like the latest iPad. It also has a built in micro USB cable, which is pretty convenient for hooking up to your phone while it sits in your briefcase or purse, as well as allowing you to actually charge 3 devices simultaneously if you want.

I got come cheap 12K (mAh) external battery from groupbuyer for (HK)$188.
Works great for my phone-enough to last all day (and this is the Butterfly, one of the more battery demanding phones)
Old May 13, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
Originally Posted by Coolers
The GF got me one of these Bellroy travel wallets too. Looks great and the leather wears very nicely.
Good to know on the leather wear. The only disappointing part (if I can call it so), is that in reality the brown is a lot lighter, almost orange. I've expected something looking exactly like the photo does

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.