Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Travel Items (with a bonus or two)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Top 10 Travel Items (with a bonus or two)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by tentseller
No need for the buttering up.

I have ask and received a micro usb charger from the concierge at two different hotels on both sides of the pond.

I have also made many contributions to this charger "pool" worldwide.
+1 ^

Cheers
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:39 am

Alcohol swabs. It's a dirty world we live in.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
A couple of carabiners for keys and hitching bags and whatever. Even better get one with a bottle-opener attached. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=1-2-catcorr

I love this Eagle Creek travel wallet, attaches to your belt to stow under your pants. Mine has been to countless countries with me, saving me and my passport and credit cards from pickpockets, sloped backseats of taxi cabs, and the like. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...r_1_15&sr=8-15 via @amazon
Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: DJ Plat, HH Diam, AB Gold, EY Gold, CX Silver, Europcar PE
+1 for this as well, with a 2yr old myself this is necessary packing.
Originally Posted by envgeo
iPad and a iPad to hdmi converter. I can watch the shows on my I pad on any hdmi ready tv in the world. Particularly handy when i travel with my small kids.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Often times if I'm crunched for space I'll just carry this weird multi-use charger gizmo I found deep on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i00)

It'll allow you to charge 2 USB devices with a wall outlet, car cigarette port, 2 AA Batteries, or one 9V battery. I've used it all over the US for trips where I have to pack light, but I've never used it on anything but 120V.

My only complaint is that the amperage output is fairly low. It's so low in fact that I have to keep the screen on m iPad off for it to charge, but I'm OK with that annoyance for the convenience factor!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:04 pm

Here's a good one, the Leatherman Style PS:

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_PS

It's TSA-compliant for carry-ons (under 7 inches, no blade). A great addition to any kit. You might still get stopped, so have the TSA regs printed out and handy, but lots of Amazon reviews from people who have traveled a lot with it indicate little or no hassle.

It's available online for $17-$20 or so.

Last year Leatherman launched a complete update to their popular "Keychain" line of tools. Fast forward to 2011 and they have taken the most popular model, the Style CS, and replaced all non-TSA-compliant features with travel-friendly ones to launch the Style PS (pliers/scissors).

The handy Style PS is a unique, travel-friendly, keychain-size tool. With spring-action pliers/wire cutters, nail file, scissors, tweezers, carabiner/bottle opener and mini-screwdriver, travelers will never be without their most necessary tools. The PS fits in a pocket or clips on a pack or bag for easy portability.

During the development phase, the Style PS was tested in airports around the world for compliance. Ultimately it was designed to follow the specific carry-on regulations of the United States TSA (www.tsa.gov). Tested throughout the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia and South Africa, the only issues were reported in one airport in Southern China and one in South Africa. Multi-tools as a classification of product cannot obtain "TSA-approved" status. They can only be designed to and state TSA-compliance*.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:55 am

do you use laundry bags? My suitcase has one of these and I can't figure out what to use it. It's not exactly waterproof so I can't use it for wet clothing. And I already have other pockets to hold simple piles of laundry...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by Mellonc
do you use laundry bags? My suitcase has one of these and I can't figure out what to use it. It's not exactly waterproof so I can't use it for wet clothing. And I already have other pockets to hold simple piles of laundry...
I use Compression Bags on almost all my travels. I usually bring 3 of them with me: one small one for boxers and socks, one medium/large for undershirts, workoutclothes, bathing suit, thingsIDontCareIfWrinkle, etc..., and one spare empty Med/Large one.

The spare one is great to use in case one of the bags busts/rips, but its primary use is an an airtight laundry bag for the return. As I go on with the trip, if I wind up in a place for a long time and returning before laundry is done, I'll have the other bags that originally had clean clothes in them available for use as additional dirty clothes bags.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by brp1264
I use Compression Bags on almost all my travels.

The spare one is great to use in case one of the bags busts/rips, but its primary use is an an airtight laundry bag for the return. As I go on with the trip, if I wind up in a place for a long time and returning before laundry is done, I'll have the other bags that originally had clean clothes in them available for use as additional dirty clothes bags.
I've used compression sacks for years, I use two now, one for clean stuff and one for dirty.

It's great to toss all your clean socks, underwear, and a fleece into the sack to reduce size.

Then when everything is dirty - you amazingly have tons of space in your bag to bring stuff back.

I always take my sack to the laundry and leave it with them. Always make sure to check for the bag when picking up your laundry - sometimes they put it aside.

I've used Granite Gear Compression sacks for years. I bought my first one in 2001 and it went around the world twice (4 years on the road!!) before a strap broke, no mean feat considering the stress needed compress these things. I bought another one, and had the old one fixed (so far hanging in there!). Highly recommended!

Cheers,
Ryan
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:28 am

I just got two new gadgets that are so great that I need to share them! Thanks to my sis for bringing them from home during her visit

The Monster Outlets to Go with 2 USB ports and 3 USA outlets. I couldn't find if it was really 110-220V but can confirm that it works fine with 220V in Asia. Toss a plug converter on it, and this is the only plug you'll need on the road to run your laptop and charge all your gear. I love this, it's amazing. The plug folds in for good travel. Like most electronics I rip off the third plug with a pliers.

Logitech Mini Boombox Bluetooth speakers. These things fit in a cargo pocket and play tunes off your iPhone or iPad or anything with bluetooth. Sound for the size is amazing - at first I was a bit disappointed but now I'm just amazed. I got some velcro for the bottom and put them on my scooter! Also been great for at the beach, or pairing with the laptop for louder sound during movies! 10 hour battery life, charge from USB (see above!) so no extra charger. No cords!

Last edited by ryandelmundo; Aug 4, 2012 at 3:29 am
Old Aug 5, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by thegasguru
4. Scoche dual power adapter with fold flat prong. http://bit.ly/KiW1Gq
The important thing here is that this device provides TWO ports that BOTH provide 2.1A of power (which is far more juice than standard adapters, and is the amount necessary to recharge an iPad or toher modern power hungry device quickly), yet still offers a fold flat prong. As of the date of this posting, this is the only power adapter that combines all these attributes.
A 4-port USB power supply with folding 115VAC plug and (maybe) less amperage at each port than the Scoche, can be found at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-USB-A...ht_1611wt_1397
It's $10, shipped from California. Note that, at this time, the eBay seller has a feedback score of zero.
UPDATE: This device arrived today, 3 days after purchase off eBay. I plugged my Android phone into it, everything seemed to work properly. The nametag says Input 100 [sic] to 240 VAC, Output 5 VDC, 2.1 amps. I like the folding-plug design.

Unrelated to power adapters, I also bring an inflatable seat cushion and an inflatable vinyl beach ball on long flights in Coach. The seat cushion goes on the seat, the beach ball sits in my lap and serves as a head rest for dozing during red-eye flights.

Last edited by Middle_Seat; Aug 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
A 4-port USB power supply with folding 115VAC plug and (maybe) less amperage at each port than the Scoche, can be found at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-USB-A...ht_1611wt_1397
It's $10, shipped from California. Note that, at this time, the eBay seller has a feedback score of zero.
That is the lower amp version from Scoche. They are supposed to be coming out with a 4 port version where all 4 ports are 2.1 amp (simultaneous charge of 4 ipads, for example), and it was supposed to be avail at the end of July, but I've been checking their web site, and it's still not listed there yet.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:37 pm

I keep with me a lot of the same items as others have stated. (thin hdmi , ipad, etc). One thing I can't live with it my cocoon. It keep all of my cables, extra cc and id, wipes all organized.

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-CPG10BK...eywords=cocoon
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by scott6003
I keep with me a lot of the same items as others have stated. (thin hdmi , ipad, etc). One thing I can't live with it my cocoon. It keep all of my cables, extra cc and id, wipes all organized.

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-CPG10BK...eywords=cocoon
I really *want* to like those cocoons...but man, they are heavy! I got some failrly sturdy clear vinyl zippered bags of varying sizes I found on Amazon, and I keep my "stuff" organized that way.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
A great replacement for the cocoon, is those Delta business class amenity bags (the red ones). Was told by another traveller, that they're great for cables - never looked back since.

Since I'm a one bagger (well, 1.05 bagger, since in addition to my Lat56 RedEye, I have a tiny shoulder bag, just big enough for my iPad), whatever I carry, has to fit in the Lat56, and I'm carrying a suit, ties, shirts and all the fun stuff for C level meetings, in addition to regular items.

The new Gillette Fusion combo razor / personal trimmer is a must, as it's very small, and now I'm carrying one item instead of two.

My router of choice for WiFiless hotels is an Apple Airport Express, because of it's form factor, and the electrical plug folds into the router itself.

Another one would be slippers, for hotel rooms which don't have them. I mostly travel to Africa and the Far East, so it's a must.

Recently found a great cologne carrying device for travel - it's tiny, and it's refilled by putting it directly on top of your perfume bottle, instead of the buttons - you push it a few times, and you have something like 50 sprays in the form factor of a pinky finger. Was something like $15 at a local drug store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.