Search

Possible relocation to Dallas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Possible relocation to Dallas

I currently live in north Scottsdale and am looking at a new potential job based out of DFW land.

I'm single, mid 40's and like the bars, restaurants, shopping, and other activities this area offers to said batchelor.

What would be a good equivalent for me to look at? I'd like to rent a new apartment, be 30 minutes from DFW and be in an area that has the lifestyle I enjoy now.

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Would Austin be too long of a commute?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Would Austin be too long of a commute?
Yes. Greater Dallas area.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fort Worth

/drops mic
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by csufabel
Fort Worth

/drops mic
Lol

Are you being serious? Just asking. I know nothing about ft worth except the zoo and stockyards.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Lol

Are you being serious? Just asking. I know nothing about ft worth except the zoo and stockyards.
Fort Worth suburbs and Tarrant County are far better than Dallas and Dallas County. If you want to live north of Dallas (Frisco, Alllen) which your lifestyle may require, then that's your decision.

There are plenty of chain restaurants, so you will have a pool if you relocate
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Whatever you do keep the commute as short as possible. Dallas traffic is a nightmare and there are thousands of pickups driven by maniacs.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Ooh Dallas. I know nothing about it but it sounds exciting.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Depends....

Will you have to go into an office or be home-based? Traffic can be pretty miserable, so if you have to commute, that will limit where you live (unless you like spending 90 minutes on the highway during rush hour).

The DFW metroplex is pretty big. Probably 100 miles East to West, and 50 North to South.

I'm partial to Fort Worth. Booming and expanding social scene and not as pretentious as Dallas. (If you ignore the TCU students.) Downtown/7th Street/Cultural District/Arlington Heights (not the City of Arlington; a neighborhood in FTW)/Camp Bowie West/Hospital District/TCU are the party areas. Downtown to Camp Bowie West is basically one long strip, and Hospital and TCU are not in the same area, but close.

Lots of new construction along 7th.

I live in Arlington Heights, and I'm a <8 minute drive from everything noted but TCU. (University area is more like 15ish.)

The City of Arlington is basically a pit stop between FTW and Dallas, sports stadia notwithstanding.

I could discuss the mid-cities and North FTW, but I'll hold off for the moment. I've already written a dissertation.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A friend of mine loved living in Fort Worth.

I recall the area close to the SMU campus being "dry" with drinks requiring membership in some private club known as the bar, so it wasn't really a restriction. It wouldn't surprise me if the area around TCU had similar rules.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^^^Tarrant County is not that dry, but some places are. Dallas and Collin (North Dallas) still have Dry parts too.

The Metroplex is still better than PHX

Last edited by csufabel; Apr 15, 2016 at 9:10 pm
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will home office and travel frequently via DFW.

Is the metro phx area larger or smaller than the metro dfw area?

What's Plano like? My brother and his family lived in Plano/Frisco for years and it looks nice but I don't want to move to the equivalent of Chandler/Gilbert where it's mostly families.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the metro phx area larger or smaller than the metro dfw area?
Metro PHX population is smaller by about 2.5 million. In terms of area, metro PHX is about 14.5K square miles compared to metro DFW's ~9.3K. I guess that's why Dallas always seems more "crowded" to me than Phoenix - it literally is.

I personally find Dallas area traffic usually much worse than that in the Valley. Not as bad as Boston; certainly nothing like Roma.

Aside: Didn't you just recently move back to Scottsdale?

I currently live in north Scottsdale and am looking at a new potential job based out of DFW land.

I'm single, mid 40's and like the bars, restaurants, shopping, and other activities this area offers to said bachelor.

What would be a good equivalent for me to look at? I'd like to rent a new apartment, be 30 minutes from DFW and be in an area that has the lifestyle I enjoy now.

Thanks!
I would suggest the following areas in no particular order.

Uptown - lots of restaurants and bars that you can walk to.
Addison Circle - several apartment complexes, a few restaurants that you can walk to, lots of very close by bars and restaurants that you can Uber to easily.
Downtown Grapevine - very specifically 925 Main Street apartments that you can walk to shops restaurants and festivals a few times a year.
Downtown Fort Worth - Sundance Square may be the closest to Scottsdale in terms of number of restaurants, bars and shops.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe Arlington?

So, you are in to big hair right?

Giggles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.