Search

Possible relocation to Dallas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
My experience in living and working all over the world is that you can find things to make your life fully enjoyable pretty much where ever you go. It's more about your attitude than anything else. Some people, for example, demand on living in San Francisco and are upset if they can't afford it and have to live down the peninsula or in the East Bay because it's just not San Francisco. Not only are those people unhappy most of the time but the rest of us are unhappy being around them.

Make the move, find things you enjoy and wallow in them.
Solid advice.

Thank you.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
I grew up in Michigan. It's not a problem for me. Dallas also is nowhere as humid as Houston or other SE cities.

Somewhat surprised to see how many people hate Dallas on here. Interesting.
Have you met a Texan before?! No surprises here.

Yes I said it.

I lived in the Dallas/Ft Worth area for a short time. It really isn't that different than Phoenix. Same chain stores, same horrible traffic, and the weather wasn't really that different (and for those of you who say it is a dry heat in PHX, I invite you to spend a month in July/August - yes not 90% like Michigan, but 115 degrees + 50% doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference).

It really is what Tchiowa said. Though I would say it differently - "Same **** different day".

And you better be prepared to love (more than your children, parents, and sex) high school/college/NFL football, or be able to fake interest.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
My experience in living and working all over the world is that you can find things to make your life fully enjoyable pretty much where ever you go. It's more about your attitude than anything else. Some people, for example, demand on living in San Francisco and are upset if they can't afford it and have to live down the peninsula or in the East Bay because it's just not San Francisco. Not only are those people unhappy most of the time but the rest of us are unhappy being around them.

Make the move, find things you enjoy and wallow in them.

I'd hope no one is silly enough to think that people are saying you can't fully enjoy living in Dallas. There is good and bad everywhere and you're right some people are just more content than others. I could live anywhere in the world and be happy.

That said the complaints (mostly weather and traffic) are valid complaints about Dallas.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
Have you met a Texan before?! No surprises here.

Yes I said it.

I lived in the Dallas/Ft Worth area for a short time. It really isn't that different than Phoenix. Same chain stores, same horrible traffic, and the weather wasn't really that different (and for those of you who say it is a dry heat in PHX, I invite you to spend a month in July/August - yes not 90% like Michigan, but 115 degrees + 50% doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference).

It really is what Tchiowa said. Though I would say it differently - "Same **** different day".

And you better be prepared to love (more than your children, parents, and sex) high school/college/NFL football, or be able to fake interest.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I detest the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo. At least I'd be moving to another NFC city
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I know lots of people that like living in Dallas. The traffic sucks, but if you're not commuting to/from an office, shouldn't be too much of an issue. Lots of good restaurants and bars, once or twice a year you get snow.

I've been in PHX in the summer and to me the weather there in the summer feels like what I imagine living in my clothes dryer would feel like. Houston/Texas summers kind of suck. Too hot and too humid. I won't deny that. But October-May is pretty nice. Survive summer by taking river trips on weekends and living in pools and central AC.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:42 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Somewhat surprised to see how many people hate Dallas on here. Interesting.
To quote myself, "Dallas is the most foreign place I've ever lived....and I liked in Saudi Arabia."
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I do have to admit though ... The 0% income tax is like an instant 3-5% raise depending on where you are coming from, is nice. Dallas (like a lot of Western cities - and I'm not really knocking it - I spent most of my life in the western US) is basically one big suburb. If the job is better, go for it, but don't have high expectations. It is PHX or LA with more annoying accents.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by annerj
I'd hope no one is silly enough to think that people are saying you can't fully enjoy living in Dallas. There is good and bad everywhere and you're right some people are just more content than others. I could live anywhere in the world and be happy.

That said the complaints (mostly weather and traffic) are valid complaints about Dallas.
Yep...this. ^
It's always a good idea to know what you are getting into though. My environment factors into my happiness. I would live in Dallas and be absolutely fine but I would just prefer not to...there's someplace for everyone.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I read an article in an Aussie paper about an Aussie ex pat who was living in Texas. He got in to trouble for flying the Australian flag. He was told it is the USA flag or the Texas flag only!
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I read an article in an Aussie paper about an Aussie ex pat who was living in Texas. He got in to trouble for flying the Australian flag. He was told it is the USA flag or the Texas flag only!
Don't Mess With Texas!
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I'm never sure whether the stereotypical Texan is more proud of being American or being Texan .

Houston summer is different from a Dallas summer, Houston is definitely more humid. Dallas probably gets worse storms overall though, unless there's a hurricane heading for Houston.

I considered moving to Dallas among a list of places when I was considering moving, but ended up liking Austin more and moved here. DFW is good though, live close to your office or DFW airport if you can. And make sure you have covered parking of some kind wherever you end up living...
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by corky
Don't Mess With Texas!
On the outside looking in I feel that although all Americans are very patriotic and I love that, I feel that Texans go that extra mile to show their love for their state and country.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
On the outside looking in I feel that although all Americans are very patriotic and I love that, I feel that Texans go that extra mile to show their love for their state and country.
I'm on the inside looking out and I definitely agree, Texans do go that extra mile.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm not even a US citizen (yet) and feel like I have a greater love of my adopted state. I could have moved anywhere in the US when I had my first job offer. I picked Houston and have yet to regret that decision. Texas is one of the few places in the US where you can make an above average income, with an average to below average cost of living. We have craft breweries everywhere (not unlike Denver), no snow and moderate winters, unfortunately really hot and humid summers. The only places I'd move domestically right now would be Denver or NYC (conditioned on a major pay raise).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.