Wiki Posts
Search

Possible relocation to Dallas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by swag
Addison has a ton of bars and restaurants, owing to its legacy years ago as one of the first parts of the Metroplex to go wet. But a lot of the spots there are corporate / chains, with fewer independent and quirky places

One other that hasn't come up yet is the M Streets area near Greenville Ave below Mockingbird. I'd check that out too.
I spent a few months in Dallas in the early 2000s. The hotel was in Addison, and I liked the area. We also went to Lower Greenville a few times, and that was really nice, too.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by thelark
We moved to the Fort Worth area earlier this year and have been enjoying it so far.

OP what's your budget? Looking to buy or rent?
2BR, $2K/mo
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kale73
Metro PHX population is smaller by about 2.5 million. In terms of area, metro PHX is about 14.5K square miles compared to metro DFW's ~9.3K. I guess that's why Dallas always seems more "crowded" to me than Phoenix - it literally is....
The "effective" Phoenix metropolitan area--where people actually live--is much smaller that DFW's:

The Office of Management and Budget defines a metropolitan area as the core city plus its county and any nearby counties that are economically dependent on the core city. However, Arizona has relatively large counties and a harsh, rugged desert landscape. For these reasons, much of the land that is part of the Metropolitan Statistical Area is rural or completely uninhabited. The core part of the Phoenix Metropolitan Area is the Phoenix–Mesa, Arizona Urban Area, which is far smaller than the Metropolitan Statistical Area.[7]
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
2BR, $2K/mo
Check out west 7th in ftw
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another 1 hour phone interview this morning....wow...here I was saying a month ago I've never had a peer interview.

Today's interview was with a director who would be my boss. I know him from the 10K foot level in the industry and a very nice guy and we had a great phone interview. He told me he would be telling the VP I'm meeting on Tuesday in ATL how well the convo went and then proceeded to ask me if I was looking at taking some vacation time between jobs or get right to work.

He lives in Dallas (Highland Park he said--have no idea where that is). He said Uptown is the place to be and I have been checking it out. It does look amazing and the prices for a new 2 BR apt are about $400/month more than where I am now. Then again a similar type apartment in old town Scottsdale would be $400/month more than uptown. I'm all for the urban setting but I also like the peace and quiet of where I live now. Everything is also close--bars, restaurants, shopping etc, but not walking but a 5-10 minute drive tops. So here in DC Ranch (Scottsdale) it's upscale suburban, not urban. I like this. What would the equivalent be in DFW area? Plano? Frisco Legacy area?

I want to move into a new place as well.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:42 am

Southlake
Old Apr 16, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

He lives in Dallas (Highland Park he said--have no idea where that is).
Highland Park, super expensive, think Troy Aikman neighborhood. He listed a house there when he got divorced for $24M.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ian--it sounds like your mind is made up although I don't understand why you can't just stay where you are since you home office. Wherever you end up, I am sure it will be a new adventure although you seem to like being in Scottsdale.

For years I was in Dallas/Plano twice a month and this is my take.
Pros: Inexpensive housing, great restaurants and bars and shopping, very nice people.
Cons: The weather (imo) is horrid. It's not horrid all year but when it is, it's bad. High humidity and torrential rains with flooding are a huge for me. It is very flat--I like more variety in my landscape. I was always getting lost as there was no point of reference--everything looked the same.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
Ian--it sounds like your mind is made up although I don't understand why you can't just stay where you are since you home office. Wherever you end up, I am sure it will be a new adventure although you seem to like being in Scottsdale.

Pros: Inexpensive housing, great restaurants and bars and shopping, very nice people.
Cons: The weather (imo) is horrid. It's not horrid all year but when it is, it's bad. High humidity and torrential rains with flooding are a huge for me. It is very flat--I like more variety in my landscape. I was always getting lost as there was no point of reference--everything looked the same.
Most of the clients and opportunities are in the CST and EST time zones as is the firms operations. They'd rather have me in that region. Having worked for a firm before where I was the odd one out in the west coast I totally understand and agree.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
This is pretty spot on how I feel about it. I was there for a~12 month stretch (mon-thur) and an 18 month stretch.

Coming from Colorado/Wyoming the weather is horrid a ton more than its not IMO. That alone is a deal breaker for me...I'm outside way too much for it to be that hot. I rode bikes a lot late at night and even then it sucked.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: *G
Just get a place as close as possible to the Pecan Lodge because it will at least make living in DFW tolerable
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The humidity is so hard to get used to for those from the West
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I grew up in Michigan. It's not a problem for me. Dallas also is nowhere as humid as Houston or other SE cities.

Somewhat surprised to see how many people hate Dallas on here. Interesting.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
It is--perpetually bad hair because of it. lol
I grew up in the Midwest but I can't tolerate humidity anymore--I know it doesn't bother some people.
I like Dallas a lot...but just to visit.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
My experience in living and working all over the world is that you can find things to make your life fully enjoyable pretty much where ever you go. It's more about your attitude than anything else. Some people, for example, demand on living in San Francisco and are upset if they can't afford it and have to live down the peninsula or in the East Bay because it's just not San Francisco. Not only are those people unhappy most of the time but the rest of us are unhappy being around them.

Make the move, find things you enjoy and wallow in them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.