Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
When does a new Member become "Established"
and able to send over five PMs / Private Messages per 24 hours?

Issue: Post handling and restrictions affecting very new members.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Very new members are limited as to how many Private Messages, or "PMs", they can send; the limit is 5 PMs per 24 hours. This has been done because we have had people who have signed up to abuse the system in some way, sometimes manifested by sending members harassing PMs or with offers or other activity prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules, and our members' privacy is very important to us. The post from a prior Administrator states:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Note: Very new members of FlyerTalk may see posts referred to a moderation queue for moderator inspection and disposition if those posts meet certain criteria; that issue is dealt with in another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html

We apologise for any temporary inconveniences this may cause; they're temporary, and made necessary based on experience and some bad actors' misbehavior.

Print Wikipost

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:18 pm
No longer at FT -- contact IBJoel please

Our policy doesn't allow us to lift the limit for FT members. You would have to post more past the limit. However, if the moderators sense a posting run, they can suspend the account, so make sure your posts are relevant to the topics.

Hope this was helpful!

Originally Posted by Wendigo
Hi -

I just ran into the PM limit as well. Would love to see it lifted for folks who are demonstrably not spam bots, but I can understand the rationale.

I'm involved in some time sensitive conversations now - can an admin help me out? Already wrote a message on contact us.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Wendigo
Hi -

I just ran into the PM limit as well. Would love to see it lifted for folks who are demonstrably not spam bots, but I can understand the rationale.

I'm involved in some time sensitive conversations now - can an admin help me out? Already wrote a message on contact us.
Some of the troubles we've seen are non-bot people who sign up and then PM members to spam or scam them. They often make a few token posts ("Well said! Thanks for that" types) and start PMing. We then hear from members who are upset someone is intruding. So there's an attempt to establish a slowdown mode initially, but unfortunately it also affects "the good guys".

Yeah, we wish they'd stay away too.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:49 am

maximum number of private messages per day?? Help Please

"You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day. This limit is removed after you become an established community member. Please contact an administrator if you feel this is in error."

I've sent 5 PMs today and now I'm not allowed to send any more?
Is this an error?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:28 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by TheCapitan
I've sent 5 PMs today and now I'm not allowed to send any more?
Is this an error?
No, it's policy. We know most folks who sign up are legitimate and should have the right to send PMs. And then there is the occasional person who signs up and immediately sends beautiful Russian girl or Nigerian financial opportunity PMs. Really, you can't imagine how livid the folks are from whom I hear about getting such messages. Allowing 5 messages a day allow those who are legitimate to get some messages out while putting breaks on spammers. Post a few more times and you'll be able to send all that you like.

Welcome to FlyerTalk. We hope you stick around, learn and share, and send and receive many PMs.

Carol/SanDiego1K
Community Director
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:49 am

Hi Carol

I just saw the post 4 down from mine and read it - no problem.
Look forward to contrbuting where I can and promise not to tell anyone I'm a prince who needs help liquidating US$14b for a small admin fee
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA GLD; SWA; Delta; USAir
Hi - I'm having the same problem ("You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day"). I used "Contact Us" to report the problem (about 12 hours ago maybe) but haven't heard reply, so trying here.

When does the "day" restart? (E.g. midnight GMT? Midnight in my mime zone? 24 hours after limit was initially exceeded?)

Does PMing to 5 people at once count towards the daily limit as 1 or 5?

Does re-attempting te PM before the "day" has expired reset the start of the day (meaning I have to wait up to 24 hours since my last failed send)?

Can you bump up my limit a bit? I'm not a frequent poster, and not a spammer, but my PMs will likely come in small infrequent mini-bursts.

Thanks
Steve
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:37 am
No longer at FT -- contact IBJoel please

Hello Steve,

I have responded to your inquiry via email. Hope it receives you well! Please let me know if you have further questions.

-Grace

Originally Posted by jazzfeline
Hi - I'm having the same problem ("You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day"). I used "Contact Us" to report the problem (about 12 hours ago maybe) but haven't heard reply, so trying here.

When does the "day" restart? (E.g. midnight GMT? Midnight in my mime zone? 24 hours after limit was initially exceeded?)

Does PMing to 5 people at once count towards the daily limit as 1 or 5?

Does re-attempting te PM before the "day" has expired reset the start of the day (meaning I have to wait up to 24 hours since my last failed send)?

Can you bump up my limit a bit? I'm not a frequent poster, and not a spammer, but my PMs will likely come in small infrequent mini-bursts.

Thanks
Steve
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:41 am

As a long-time lurker but a new member, this is agonizing.. (ironically, I joined so I could PM folks without cluttering up threads)

I just got a message that I can't post either without the post being reviewed by a moderator.

I can understand needing to stop spambots but there has to be a better way..

How about limiting the number of PMs only if they don't generate a reply? In other words, every PM you send counts against your "new user limit", while PMs you receive back from established users subtract from that count (without letting it go negative). That would at least allow private conversations to take place without forcing participation in a bunch of different threads first..
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Seems like the easy workaround here is to contribute to the public forums and let the PM increase fall into place on its own. I just don't buy into the "PM folks without cluttering up threads" argument. Clutter them up as much as you want as long as you're on topic.

Did the post you made include a link? Often those will be held for new members until a moderator can review them.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I agree with Tom. Sending PMs rather than posting sounds to me like asking for information or sharing it with a select few to keep it off the boards.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Are you looking for these additional PMs so you can do more Southwest credit card referrals? I see you have two posts in that forum, of your three, asking for PMs. Or, do you need them for some other reason?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by tom911
Are you looking for these additional PMs so you can do more Southwest credit card referrals? I see you have two posts in that forum, of your three, asking for PMs. Or, do you need them for some other reason?
Currently, yes that's my main motivation. I now have several PMs asking me for referrals.

I'd be happy to share them (which benefits other FTers as well as myself, because I don't believe there's currently any other way to apply for the CC in question other than through a referral). But I don't want to post the referral information publicly because only the first few people to try to use them would qualify as there are a limited number of referrals that I can make.

However, I now can't respond to the incoming PMs I have because I've already used up all my outgoing PMs in the last 24 hour period.

So I'm trying to read various threads and contribute useful information to them to get my post count up.. I'm just saying that it's kind of tedious to go through this forced participation just so I can respond to PMs.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I agree with Tom. Sending PMs rather than posting sounds to me like asking for information or sharing it with a select few to keep it off the boards.
There are legitimate reasons for PMs. See my post above.

I've benefitted from reading FT over the years and I'd like to give something back. Participation is what makes this site work.

I can see how reaching a minimum post count doesn't seem like a big deal for someone with 27,000 posts. As a new user, though, and as someone who values quality over quantity, it's a disincentive to keep participating.

Lucky for you guys I'm persistent
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
FWIW - asking for PMs and lurking for years isn't participating, IMHO.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
FWIW - asking for PMs and lurking for years isn't participating, IMHO.
Ouch. Guess not. I suppose "once a lurker, always a lurker"?

I would disagree with you, though- that reading is not participating.

Let's say I had some information of value. Having read a related thread, I might then decide to sign up and (try to) share that information with others.

Whereas someone else with that same valuable information who has never heard of, visited, or read FT clearly cannot decide to contribute.

It's like saying unless you were a teacher, you never 'participated' in school.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.