Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
When does a new Member become "Established"
and able to send over five PMs / Private Messages per 24 hours?

Issue: Post handling and restrictions affecting very new members.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Very new members are limited as to how many Private Messages, or "PMs", they can send; the limit is 5 PMs per 24 hours. This has been done because we have had people who have signed up to abuse the system in some way, sometimes manifested by sending members harassing PMs or with offers or other activity prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules, and our members' privacy is very important to us. The post from a prior Administrator states:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Note: Very new members of FlyerTalk may see posts referred to a moderation queue for moderator inspection and disposition if those posts meet certain criteria; that issue is dealt with in another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html

We apologise for any temporary inconveniences this may cause; they're temporary, and made necessary based on experience and some bad actors' misbehavior.

Print Wikipost

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MTRBeast33
I too was hoping to have my PM restriction lifted, not sure if the correct place to ask, but thought I'd check.
Time to start contributing and the cap will be lifted in due course.

Tom in Copenhagen today
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MTRBeast33
I too was hoping to have my PM restriction lifted, not sure if the correct place to ask, but thought I'd check.
It will occur soon enough.

/Moderator
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum
Need more PM's - trying to GIVE away expiring SWU's

Hi. I am brand new to flyertalk. Trying to GIVE AWAY expiring SWU's - no funny business - just being generous. But I ran into the 5 PM limit and cannot contact the interested users to get Record Locator information to upgrade them. SWU's expire TOMORROW - please help by increasing my PM limit. I received 13 responses in 2 days, and I only have about a day to help these folks.
Thank you,
David^
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:45 am

Have you clicked on the profiles of any of these members to see if they accept e-mail? I clicked on your handle and can send e-mail to you.

If you've read through this thread and seen the comments from the Community Director and others, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting an exception.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by YeshuaSaves
Hi. I am brand new to flyertalk. Trying to GIVE AWAY expiring SWU's - no funny business - just being generous. But I ran into the 5 PM limit and cannot contact the interested users to get Record Locator information to upgrade them. SWU's expire TOMORROW - please help by increasing my PM limit. I received 13 responses in 2 days, and I only have about a day to help these folks.
Thank you,
David^
This can't be done, unfortunately. But you can use the e-mail alternative tom911 mentioned.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:25 pm

Hi guys, I have the same problem with sending PMs. How can I get this limit removed? Thanks,
Homer,
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:18 pm

You contribute more or you contact members via their e-mail links, if they provide one.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
Arrow Error "too many PMs sent today" even when I haven't sent any PMs?

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post but wanted to ask about this error message I'm getting - even when I haven't PM'ed in a day, the following message pops up, what are the requirements to become an 'established community member'. Many thanks.

You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day. This limit is removed after you become an established community member. Please contact an administrator if you feel this is in error.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by hudsonlaluna
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post but wanted to ask about this error message I'm getting - even when I haven't PM'ed in a day, the following message pops up, what are the requirements to become an 'established community member'. Many thanks.

You have exceeded the maximum number of private messages per day. This limit is removed after you become an established community member. Please contact an administrator if you feel this is in error.
I've moved your question over to the Technical Support forum, which is monitored by the administrators who run the forum software and can provide a better answer for your inquiry.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk
Old May 6, 2016, 5:01 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat

If you're sending one PM to multiple people, that could trigger that message.

You need to cool it with the PMs until you are more of an established FT community member, is what it is getting at. Do some more posting in the forums -- you only have 6 posts in 4 years. While "lurking" is completely permissible, to earn the full rights and privileges of FT you must be a bit more active.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
If you're sending one PM to multiple people, that could trigger that message.

You need to cool it with the PMs until you are more of an established FT community member, is what it is getting at. Do some more posting in the forums -- you only have 6 posts in 4 years. While "lurking" is completely permissible, to earn the full rights and privileges of FT you must be a bit more active.
Yes confession have been a lurker for years so have next to nothing postings but have benefited immensely from the collective knowledge across the forums.
Though seems a chunk of FT'ers out there post as if in a numbers and volume race...guess is hard to mark quality vs quantity in this type of forum but am wondering about # of postings as metric of activeness and contribution
Old May 9, 2016, 11:44 pm

Though seems a chunk of FT'ers out there post as if in a numbers and volume race...guess is hard to mark quality vs quantity in this type of forum but am wondering about # of postings as metric of activeness and contribution
It does indicate a willingness to answer questions, interact with other forum members, contribute original material or send posters in the right direction. I never thought of it as a contest of any sort. I contribute a lot of material across a number of airline and hotel forums and hope there's some value there. I receive lots of PMs asking for followup help so I must be doing some good.

Can't say I've noticed anyone posting just for the sake of posting. The moderators would deal with those folks, particularly the ones on Coupon Connection runs which can be very visible to regular forum viewers.

Tom in Las Vegas tonight
Old May 10, 2016, 5:59 am

Yes confession have been a lurker for years so have next to nothing postings but have benefited immensely from the collective knowledge across the forums.

The only way you would know is by getting to "know" a specific poster to determine if they post fluff or utility. I'd recommend that before making stereotypical or perhaps baseless comments about post numbers. Look at context as well: I've been a member 16 years, have moderated various fora, served as Senior Moderator for four years and my post daily average is ~eight posts per day. (I've learned an amazing amount of travel-related knowledge, so I feel it's my "duty" to pay forward what other members have given me out of their knowledge, experience and generosity.)

tom911, for example, is a Sterling example of a member who has chosen to give the time and effort to share his knowledge and even prolific photography related to travel, transport and destinations; he's active in the FT community and I've had the pleasure of meeting him in several FT events and get-togethers).

If someone is merely focused on post numbers without considering post content in order to achieve access to restricted fora or privileges, we (Moderators) can delete posts, reset post counts and / or block access to members who are trying to manipulate post count.

Those who have lurked for years may have benefitted from FlyerTalk, but they can't be engaged, contributing members of the FlyerTalk community. Rules are not therefore likely to be waived for them - we don't know who they are.

Last edited by JDiver; May 10, 2016 at 6:15 am
Old May 11, 2016, 4:47 pm

Got it, okay. Btw Tom911 those photos from your link were great. Funny I was also in NYC in Jan 2016 epic snowstorm, Copenhagen earlier this year 2016, and Seoul April 2016! A small world indeed...
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:06 am

Private messages

Apologies for posting this (perhaps) in the wrong forum but..

I recently joined flyertalk and started exchanging private messages with a member who is helping me with MR but all of a sudden my private messages got blocked and I got this error message:

How can I fix it?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.