Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This is really annoying. All the times in the past when there has been any publicity, the consensus was that the "like" button was NOT something that was wanted. Now, it just gets implemented without any prominent mentions of this thread where it was being discussed, so few contributed their dislike of the "like."

Arrgh. Turn an adult forum into facebook-like junk.
Originally Posted by DrBernardo
+1,000

Please give us a way of turning this disruptive mess off!
+100000. Absolutely horrible - it looks awful the way it's laid out and I hate the fact that you can see who liked things. Plus it clutters everything up. At the very least please give us an opt out.

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Never ask members whether they would like a feature. There are many that would prefer to live in the past and not progress as humans simply do not like change.

Sadly it is not showing on the mobile skin.

Thank goodness the software behind the forum is so poor otherwise there would be many more modern features to annoy the minority.

We need to remember that today's youngsters will want to enjoy this site and get the same benefits as we do. The site has to be relevant to them as well.
This under 30 year old millennial hates it - please don't paint us with one big brush stroke. If we have to do it, at least do it in a way that looks good, is well integrated into the platform, and provides a clear value add - the new iteration being rolled out does none of those things.

Sidenote - I had no idea this was happening until it popped up on a forum this morning and I'm among the most active FTers. Definitely didn't see any heads up this was coming (only time I saw anything at all was a blog post on BoardingArea from TheGate which mentioned a like button in the article title - I assumed it was just a rhetorical question because the blog writer needed a new topic to discuss).
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Why are the omnis being excluded? We've been told that like will not be gamed, will not be disruptive, etc. Therefore there is no rational reason to exclude the omnis.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:55 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kipper
Just my 2 cents...
  • I don't like that it shows who liked the post.
  • The list of who likes the post is distracting from the main text of the post.
I like this post but I will not click the like button because I do not like the like button

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How can I disable this? I find it useless and obtrusive.
I like this post but I will not click the like button because I do not like the like button
nsx, beltway and aztimm like this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I like the concept of the like button, but am not a fan of the implementation.
I'd like something that looks like this, with the like button in teh same place (maybe bolded) and just below it (or next to it - whatever) the number of likes. I hate the fact that there is this huge section with usernames. This is the complete opposite of uncluttered and unobtrusive.

If you want to get even more fancy, make it so you hover over the (8) and see the usernames, but not just laid out as it is right now. Do Not Like.

At least you can unlike.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Aug 10, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
If you want to get even more fancy, make it so you hover over the (8) and see the usernames, but not just laid out as it is right now.
This is a good solution to make almost everyone happy (one of several).
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by goalie

I've always found it interesting and odd that you are one of most like-happy people I know on Facebook, and yet you are so vehemently opposed to it here. Why the incongruity?
JonNYC and aztimm like this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The announcement sticky doesn't really say what the end result or goal of this feature is, beyond the immediate effect of seeing who liked a post. I see the below in iBobi's Q&A post linked in the Wiki (maybe there is more than this but I'm not reading this whole thread to find out the ultimate goal):

* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?

We have proposed adding a user-clickable "sort thread by likes" feature that would allow anyone to easily see the most-liked posts in a thread topic; as far as I know this is the only "use" for this that has been proposed.
Is the above-mentioned sort feature also being rolled out now?

I guess I'm ambivalent about the concept, so long as it doesn't disrupt the way I currently use the site. Maybe I'll use it, maybe I won't - we'll see.

But as for the current implementation... I'd place the like button down in the area where the reply, etc. buttons are now - it just looks sort of tacked on currently. I would also eliminate the little banner that states who liked the post...either drop it altogether or make it so you have to hover over the like button to see the "likers".
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How can I disable this? I find it useless and obtrusive.
Agreed!!! It's absolutely horrible how much screen space is taken up by the list of likers and how distracting it is!!!!! Give an option to turn it off!!!!!
tom911 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:03 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by florens
Will there be a function, similar to quotes and mentions, that gives an overview over who liked one's posts?
There will not. The feature originally had this, but it was decided to turn that part off.

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Never ask members whether they would like a feature. There are many that would prefer to live in the past and not progress as humans simply do not like change.

Sadly it is not showing on the mobile skin.

We need to remember that today's youngsters will want to enjoy this site and get the same benefits as we do. The site has to be relevant to them as well.
The "likes" feature does not yet work on the mobile skin.

Thank you for mentioning making the site more appealing to other demographics. We hope to keep FT vibrant for all, for a long time.

Originally Posted by kipper

I'm not able to find the like button in OMNI.
"Likes" are turned off for the Omni forums.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I'd like something that looks like this, with the like button in teh same place (maybe bolded) and just below it (or next to it - whatever) the number of likes.

I hate the fact that there is this huge section with usernames.
We hope to continue iterating the feature in the future.

As to the section with the names... it does not look huge on my screen -- can you post a screen shot that shows how much real estate it's taking up? To me it looks quite small.

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Is the [option to sort thread by "likes"] feature also being rolled out now?
No it isn't. All we are rolling out now is the ability to "like".
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:11 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Size of posts with "likes" = same as posts without "likes"

The post frame does not enlarge. The area used by the "like" box is the same size, regardless of how many "likes" there are (the feature displays up to 3 handles before including the rest in the "and X other people like this" text).

Last edited by IBobi; Aug 10, 2017 at 5:19 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wow, IBobi - thanks for dismissing most of the (negative) input since this went live & ignoring what would work for FTers/make this a 'win-win' for both FTers/IB. Just like providing no notice & asking for input (24 hours really doesn't count), it shows that it doesn't matter when FTers do provide input if it doesn't match what IB wants to do. You all decided you wanted this - it didn't & doesn't matter what FTers say. Well done you (generic you, not you specifically)

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
In 15 years of FT, I've never been to the suggestion box.

Please make it stop. (or at least invisible)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IBobi
The post frame does not enlarge. The area used by the "like" box is the same size, regardless of how many "likes" there are (the feature displays up to 3 handles before including the rest in the "and X other people like this" text).
I'm sorry, but that isn't true for most posts. Look at this post with and without the like element:

Your example cherry picked a post where the left side bar was already longer than the post + like element, so the like had no effect. Most posts that are more than 1 or 2 lines will take up more room because of the like element.
nsx likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Needs to be next to Quote - not above - it is in the wrong place.

Also needs to be in the same style as the other buttons with a thumbs up.

But change the icon for news to say a newspaper from a thumb.
N639DL likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I don't mind a like button.... what I mind is that it shows who likes something.
Ditto. Really unnecessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.