Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The new "Like" "button"

When you click on the "Like" button, it registers the handle of the user liking the post in a horizontal box immediately below the "Like" button. "Liking" a post also optionally sends a notification to the post owner. "Like" notifications appear in Your Control Panel in My FlyerTalk.

To turn the notification function on or off, look in Your Control Panel and Settings & Options under Messaging & Notification:

Likes Notifications:
  • Enable Likes Notifications
  • Disable Likes Notifications

NOTE: Editing a post causes the "Likes" to disappear for a short period of time. They are restored after that pause.

To report issues, problems etc. please visit this thread in the Technical Support and Feedback forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1863159-new-like-button-information-issues-discussion.html

LIST OF SUGGESTIONS, PROS and CONS discussed in thread:

Please add all your suggestions since implementation, August 9 2017:
  1. Modify Like button to take up less real estate - ie, put the button w/ the other buttons & likes under signatures or list only if hover
  2. Allow members to completely turn off the ability to see likes
  3. Use Helpful instead of Like
  4. Completely eliminate Like button
  5. Do not display handles of those who Liked the post

"Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts made in prior Talkboard thread, which had 700 posts. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input. When TalkBoard last polled FT members, the result of the poll was in favour of introducing likes (by a considerable margin)

Pros:
* Make Flyertalk more modern/more like Facebook, LinkedIn and many other social media sites
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* The value add of showing likes, helpful votes, etc. is that it can surface good content and get more views for it
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done (trial done last time it came up for discussion)
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?"

IBobi responded to theses comments and questions here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28664495-post59.html

Print Wikipost

Suggest FT add “Like” button [implemented 9 Aug 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Will there be a function, similar to quotes and mentions, that gives an overview over who liked one's posts?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

this supposed "pro" is laughable:

Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable
Quantity does not equal/represent quality. If the majority vote for a "like" button, will there be a way for the rest of us to mask the function for those who aren't interested in dumbing down this site and turning it into a Facebook clone?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBobi
Questions/answered:
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it at all?

I doubt we would implement the "like" feature at all if it were not "always on," since making it user-selectable would largely defeat its purpose. Users can choose not to "like" anything.
The first thing I looked for was how to turn it off (just like have images and other things off)

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This is really annoying. All the times in the past when there has been any publicity, the consensus was that the "like" button was NOT something that was wanted. Now, it just gets implemented without any prominent mentions of this thread where it was being discussed, so few contributed their dislike of the "like."

Arrgh. Turn an adult forum into facebook-like junk.
Change for the sake of change following other sheep
tom911 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:33 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I gave you a "like". Hope you appreciate the irony
I agree with mahasamatman. I don't have a Facebook account because I don't give a toot about what people like or don't like. I already know what *I* like.
I agree with you and mahasamatman.

I have a facebook account, but don't concern myself with what people like.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The first thing I looked for was how to turn it off (just like have images and other things off)

If you find a way to turn it off, please share with the rest of us.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We are about to roll out a like button. I'll be posting a global announcement. Once you use it, feel free to post your reaction and any glitches that you experience.

Carol
Community Director
With the utmost respect to you personally, this is totally ironic. Other than Talkmail 2 days ago there was no public announcement re: this feature & an opportunity for FTers to provide input. What was the point of TM asking for input when it was already determined that this was going to be implemented? That's one of the things I miss about TB - before we voted on a forum etc, we did public announcements asking for input from FTers. We didn't just implement things willy-nilly like IB has done w/ some of its 'enhancements'.

Originally Posted by kipper
Just my 2 cents...
  • I don't like that it shows who liked the post.
  • The list of who likes the post is distracting from the main text of the post.
Agree.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How can I disable this? I find it useless and obtrusive.
Agree.

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
+1

+1

I wasn't in favor of a "Like" button and am less so after seeing it's highly distracting implementation.
Agree.

Originally Posted by milepig
Can I turn off the blasted xxx likes this banners? Really annoying.
Much as we'd like to, we can't - IB says it would 'defeat the purpose' - also, that IB basically doesn't care about providing an experience that would meet the needs of all its members - ie, those who would like to see the likes could do so; those who didn't want their viewing of FT disrupted could turn it off.

This is really annoying. All the times in the past when there has been any publicity, the consensus was that the "like" button was NOT something that was wanted. Now, it just gets implemented without any prominent mentions of this thread where it was being discussed, so few contributed their dislike of the "like."

Agree.

Originally Posted by halls120
this supposed "pro" is laughable:

Quantity does not equal/represent quality. If the majority vote for a "like" button, will there be a way for the rest of us to mask the function for those who aren't interested in dumbing down this site and turning it into a Facebook clone?
That was one of my points in the 700 post thread in Talkboard. I'd seen people post totally inaccurate information on Milepoint & MarriottInsiders - and people liked the posts

Also, the like button feature was implemented w/o a lot of input by FTers. IB didn't just come up w/ this overnight, but other than a very short thread (this one) started in May & an announcement 2 days ago in TalkMail, which didn't bring that many to this thread to post, there's been no public input sought by IB re: the feature.

Re: masking the feature. I think that's the best solution. Those who like likes (pardon the pun) can continue to see them. Those who don't want their viewing of FT disrupted could opt out. Both sides win. But evidently IB's not interested in a 'win-win'.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

Agree. Having the option to turn it off would be a win-win for those who don't want to see it, yet let those who do want to see it do so.

I agree with you and mahasamatman.

I have a facebook account, but don't concern myself with what people like.

If you find a way to turn it off, please share with the rest of us.
There isn't. IB doesn't give two patooties about what we really like (pardon the pun) want. It will do what it wants to do. IBobi posted above as though some of what he posted was still under consideration, when he knew this was going live 2 days later. Very poor form.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:57 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There isn't. IB doesn't give two patooties about what we really like (pardon the pun) want. It will do what it wants to do. IBobi posted above as though some of what he posted was still under consideration, when he knew this was going live 2 days later. Very poor form.

Cheers.
I agree.

I'm not able to find the like button in OMNI.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:04 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Never ask members whether they would like a feature. There are many that would prefer to live in the past and not progress as humans simply do not like change.
"You kids get off my lawn!"

Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:13 am

I agree.

They're turning it on forum by forum. It would be further ironic if it was not turned on in the Omnis It should be; there's no rational reason for the Omnis to be excluded.

Originally Posted by nsx
"You kids get off my lawn!"

I don't view this as a case of you kids get off my lawn - you'd need to speak for yourself on that one I view this as something that was implemented even though over the years it was basically a 50/50 split by FTers who wanted it & those who didn't.

And this time it was implemented without a public notice in advance to garner input (TM coming out a day before it was implemented isn't really a lot of public notice).

The best solution & a 'win-win' for all FTers is to make the feature an on/off as IB does with other features. Then those who would like to see likes could do so & those who don't want their FT viewing disrupted wouldn't have to see it. But IB has said point-blank that they're not interested in doing so - aka, tough patooties to those who don't like the like feature or find it disruptive.

Short of the like feature breaking down, the odds of this being deactivated are slim to zip - just like TB rarely closed forums, IB doesn't delete features.

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:15 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
IB doesn't give two patooties about what we really like (pardon the pun) want. It will do what it wants to do. IBobi posted above as though some of what he posted was still under consideration, when he knew this was going live 2 days later.
That's factually inaccurate. This has been SanDiego1K's decision all along. IB implemented a feature because she wanted to try it. IB would not have turned it on without her concurrence.

As to IB not caring about users' preferences, that could hardly be more wrong. There is no other website on the Internet where users have more influence than this one. I am counting SanDiego1K as a user because her charter is to optimize the user experience. Others are concerned with financial aspects, but as far as I know she doesn't deal with any of that. Not even search engine optimization. IB has spent money on features for us which have no direct or obvious financial benefit to them. That doesn't happen on other sites.

I trust SanDiego1K's judgment. She has earned our trust even more so than Randy. I don't believe that any of us could have done a better job since Randy left, and that includes Randy.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:24 am

Where did you take from my post that I was dissing sandiego1k? I wasn't; I have the utmost respect for her. Your response is bizarre IMO.

Although if this was truly her decision & she made it w/o input from FTers/implemented it w/ IB, I am disappointed.

Also, now that it has been implemented there are FTers asking for an opt-out because they find the like feature disruptive, especially in its current form. I would like to know, whether from sandiego1k or IB, if that option will ever be allowed (aka, a 'win-win') or if this is something a # of FTers are stuck w/. Just like TB rarely closed forums, IB doesn't usually delete a feature it's implemented.

Cheers.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I don't mind a like button.... what I mind is that it shows who likes something.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!

+1,000

Please give us a way of turning this disruptive mess off!
tom911 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Thank goodness the software behind the forum is so poor otherwise there would be many more modern features to annoy the minority.
We need to remember that today's youngsters will want to enjoy this site and get the same benefits as we do. The site has to be relevant to them as well.
If I remember correctly @Randy Petersen started out cyclostyling FFP tips and tricks and mailing them out. In that spirit, I suppose the FT purist should print out threads in plain ascii using a dot matrix or better line printer and read it on the porch.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:46 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Where did you take from my post that I was dissing sandiego1k?
I didn't. Read it again. I would never want to upset one of my favorite people on FT! I just corrected your misperception that IB decided this.

But hey, it's early in the morning for both of us.
JonNYC and IBobi like this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I agree.

There isn't a, "like," button in the Omnis...it is in SanDiego1K's forum-wide announcement:
FlyerTalk is rolling out a "like" icon across all of the forums except the Omnis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.