Search

Which Starwood hotel in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
one more decision criteria

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Read the master thread
I completely agree with this assessment about staying on Courtland Street.

I can add one anecdotal criteria i.e. if you like seeing other fans out walking & expressing their support for their team, you will love the downtown location.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I completely agree with this assessment about staying on Courtland Street.

I can add one anecdotal criteria i.e. if you like seeing other fans out walking & expressing their support for their team, you will love the downtown location.
Can you walk to campus from the Sheraton?
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by RBirns
Can you walk to campus from the Sheraton?
I would as ATL isn't that big. However, I'm a NYer who generally walks long distances.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Hmm. It is 1.5 miles according to Google Maps. That also includes the uphill walk from Courtland (or down Courtland, depending on the direction). I'm not a fan of walking that much from the Sheraton since it is at the bottom of a hill, but Uber/taxi is always an option and the Peachtree Center MARTA station is a couple blocks from the Sheraton (right next to the Westin *ahem*). Taking MARTA, the North Avenue stop is only a few blocks from Bobby Dodd (over the Connector, though, so be careful if you opt for this method).

The 2.5 uphill blocks from the Sheraton to the Westin usually make my decision fairly easy when choosing between the hotels (unless I'm taking advantage of Thanksgiving week specials and bouncing between hotels). The extremely slow internet at the Sheraton will usually knock that hotel off the table if I remember it, especially if there is a conference in town that week.

As for the Platinum recognition at the Sheraton, the biggest benefit I get, especially on busy weekdays/weekends, is the lounge access. I prefer the Westin beds over the Sheraton beds. I also prefer the Westin suites to the Sheraton suites (and have better success with suite upgrades at the Westin, to be honest). The best thing to me about the Sheraton is the fact that Hsu's is a block away and I always get takeout to eat in my room. In my experience, Platinum recognition is just as good, if not better, at the W Downtown and the Westin Peachtree Plaza... and both have a much better sleep product.

Just my three cents.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jibi
Hmm. It is 1.5 miles according to Google Maps. That also includes the uphill walk from Courtland (or down Courtland, depending on the direction). I'm not a fan of walking that much from the Sheraton since it is at the bottom of a hill, but Uber/taxi is always an option and the Peachtree Center MARTA station is a couple blocks from the Sheraton (right next to the Westin *ahem*). Taking MARTA, the North Avenue stop is only a few blocks from Bobby Dodd (over the Connector, though, so be careful if you opt for this method).

The 2.5 uphill blocks from the Sheraton to the Westin usually make my decision fairly easy when choosing between the hotels (unless I'm taking advantage of Thanksgiving week specials and bouncing between hotels). The extremely slow internet at the Sheraton will usually knock that hotel off the table if I remember it, especially if there is a conference in town that week.

As for the Platinum recognition at the Sheraton, the biggest benefit I get, especially on busy weekdays/weekends, is the lounge access. I prefer the Westin beds over the Sheraton beds. I also prefer the Westin suites to the Sheraton suites (and have better success with suite upgrades at the Westin, to be honest). The best thing to me about the Sheraton is the fact that Hsu's is a block away and I always get takeout to eat in my room. In my experience, Platinum recognition is just as good, if not better, at the W Downtown and the Westin Peachtree Plaza... and both have a much better sleep product.

Just my three cents.
As I said, walking isn't and issue for me, but I don't think the hill is that bad, but glad you pointed that out, as someone else may not be able or willing to walk that. I just mentioned the Sheraton as an option as it may be cheaper for a one night stay.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:44 pm

It's a 2 night stay, and I too am a NYer.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Just noticed that a 4P "airport property" is opening next July. That is now 7 of the core 10 SPG brands (no LC, TP, or Element). This one is located off Camp Creek and 285 near the Target, Lowes, etc.

Last edited by jibi; Oct 23, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hyatt Diamond SPG Plat Marriott Plat
What about Le Meridien Atlanta Perimeter?

How does this hotel compare to Ws in Midtown and Buckhead as well as the Hyatts in similar locations

I'm Plat with SPG and plan to stay here in a weekend in April. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Giroud

How does this hotel compare to Ws in Midtown and Buckhead as well as the Hyatts in similar locations

I'm Plat with SPG and plan to stay here in a weekend in April. Thanks in advance for the info.
Before we can answer that, where do you prefer to stay. I generally recommend the W Midtown, but recently stayed at the Westin Peachtree and would recommend that property. I would avoid the W Buckhead.

ATL has a lot of options. You'll need to read the master threads and view pictures. Where you want to stay and what you'll be doing is a big picture as traffice in ATL is terrible.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Delta FO

I would go for whatever hotel is in the area you need to be in. Sure the W Buckhead is not the best but if you need to be in Buckhead, I would still stay there.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by atlocal
I would go for whatever hotel is in the area you need to be in. Sure the W Buckhead is not the best but if you need to be in Buckhead, I would still stay there.
I wouldn't suggest that. I would stay at the Westin Buckhead over the W Atlanta ANY DAY!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:07 am

this is one of my favorite hotels I have had a long term stay at. I think like half of their rooms are enormous suites and some have two king beds. Everything seems clean and new. Decent lounge for breakfast and night snacks. Very cool lounge areas around the pool. The onesite restaurant is very good for breakfast or dinner. The staff here is very friendly and eager to help if you need anything.

A few negatives is this is about 15 mins north of Buckhead and 30 mins north of Midtown depending on traffic. They also charge for parking which is annoying since it is across the street from a massive mall parking lot.

I have staid at the three Ws, Westin perimeter, Sheraton Perimeter, Westin Airport and the Le Meridian in Atlanta and this one is hands down the best SPG property.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hyatt Diamond SPG Plat Marriott Plat
Thanks so much for the info above!

Seems like Le Méridien Atlanta Perimeter is a really nice hotel but the location might be a concern. Also, anyone can compare the LM with Hyatt Regency Villa Christina?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
I stayed at the W Midtown two weeks ago and was upgraded to a really nice suite the day before - they even placed a requested yoga mat in my room.

Had dinner and breakfast in Trace which was nice. The plat amenity for breakfast is up to $25 which more than covered my breakfast.

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I wouldn't suggest that. I would stay at the Westin Buckhead over the W Atlanta ANY DAY!
Yes the Westin is a better choice. I was just basing it on OP's list of W Midtown, W Buckhead and Le Meridien.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.