Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC Hotel, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC Hotel, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Design Room upgrades

Will be checking in here on Sunday - how hard will I have to fight to get one of the design rooms? I'm on a (relative to current pricing) cheap $250 rate. I see a range of different options for rooms still available, assuming they will still be in a few days.

Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I'm glad I didn't suggest the 10 Reais Public Bus to Metro to Train route

The Airport Bus is perfectly safe and the drop-off point at the Hyatt is a good area but I would hop in a taxi at the Hyatt to get to the Sheraton if you have luggage not because the walk is unsafe but because the footpaths are atrocious!

If your arrival doesn't coincide with the timetable for the bus that I suggested almost as good is to take the more frequent bus run by the same company at the same price to Congonhas Airport and hop in a taxi there - its BRL20-25 to the Sheraton
Thanks a lot for your suggestions!!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
I will be checking in Monday for 4 nights on the same type (AAA) of rate. How did your upgrade go ?

The hotel has offered me a transfer from GRU for R260 - sounds like it is in the ballpark for Limo rather than cab.

CC

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Will be checking in here on Sunday - how hard will I have to fight to get one of the design rooms? I'm on a (relative to current pricing) cheap $250 rate. I see a range of different options for rooms still available, assuming they will still be in a few days.

Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
I will be checking in Monday for 4 nights on the same type (AAA) of rate. How did your upgrade go ?

The hotel has offered me a transfer from GRU for R260 - sounds like it is in the ballpark for Limo rather than cab.

CC
They were just putting me on the SPG floor at check-in; I asked for a Design Room and was given one. Wasn't one of the coolest looking ones, but it was unique and on the 4th floor where the special Design floor lounge is.

I can't remember if I checked if there were regular suites available.

Limo is pricey, but I had the same driver both ways and he was good. If you're expensing it, worth it for peace of mind vs. taking a taxi.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:33 am

Review of the Design hotel Sheraton WTC Sao Paulo

See pics: http://travel.webshots.com/album/580709999mWjdTl

After a long flight to Sao Paulo I was happy the Sheraton hotel arranged a pick – up at the airport. The hotel is very far from the airport, but due to low traffic I arrived in 40 minutes. The rate for the pick is rather high, 230 Reis/130 euro.

Check-in was friendly and I was upgraded to a Clubroom. Though I asked for a room with a view mrs. Antonia of the reception insisted I would like the room, since someone in the hotel told her so. She also gave me a small letter of that person.
Arriving in the new Clubroom, it appeared to be on a low floor, with NO view! The room felt cramp and in general I prefer a high floor with a view. So I went back. I ended up in the same classic clubroom as I had 2 years ago with some view. I assumed the clubrooms on the high floor were renovated but was very disappointed everything was just the same. ( during my last stay I was told Clubrooms on the high floors were going to be renovated). Mrs. Antonia of the reception told me I only had a choice between these rooms ( renovated Clubroom on the lower floor with no view or the classic clubroom on the highfloor). It was strange the only room I could have was the one I had during my last stay, with exactly the same view…) Mrs. Antonia told me she did not have a classic clubroom with another view, f.i. my preference for a bridgeview. And this room was larger than the room I had the last time two years ago! She also told me she had studied my profile and information!!
Since I was tired I went away, to my classic room.
This evening I had a relaxing bath. I did have a small problem, after I took a bath the water did go away, but the foam was coming out of a grate in the floor.

The next day I had a great breakfast in the lounge with the great Nespresso coffee, a wide selection of breads, cold cut meats and delicious fresh fruits. I liked the fresh mango so much.
It was easy to use the pc in the lounge and every morning I could read and sent my email and get information. The hotel does have a rather small SheratonLink in the Lobby.

When I stopped by at the reception mrs. Lauren heard my conversation concerning a different kind of room, since I wanted to have a new experience in the hotel.
She was so kind to show me different rooms. It was so strange since according to mrs. Antonia no other rooms were available for me! Not even a classic room with a different view!
Mrs. Lauren started with a classic clubroom with bridgeview. It was a great room and I liked the view very much. It appeared this room was available when I checked in. So this was very strange to me.
After this she showed me the Designfloors with different designrooms. It was so great to see those room. My impression of the hotel was drastically changing. No classic Clubrooms or apparently mall looking modern Clubrooms. But very nice designrooms, all with a different décor. I liked the rooms/suites so much. It was so refreshing to my mind instead of the classic room I had and had seen.
Mrs. Lauren offered me to make a choice to have a Designroom. I was surprised and well it was great to have my stay in a beautiful designroom. My room/suite was designed by a interior designer from Peru.
Mrs. Lauren arranged everything perfectly and it made my stay perfect. She helped me to get me to the Musea in the Ibirapuera park, talked to the driver so he would bring me as close as possible to the museum. I am still thankful for her commitment.

Mrs. Laura of the Designfloor reception was also very kind. She helped me out with different issues when I stayed at the Designfloor and she made my stay even better! She also helped me with the checkin for my flights and arrangements for the transfer.
This way I felt more at home in this hotel. And, I started to notice the feeling of being in a Starwood hotel, due to the friendly and professional attitude and my very nice room.

I had a great stay this time, and enjoyed the Designlounge. I liked the range of drinks and the Nespresso coffee machine. I did notice the range of snack (warm and cold) and canapes were limited compared to my last stay. The quality was nice though. In general the butlers do not speak English, with some exceptions. Its still difficult to communicate with a butler who does not speak English and since this Sheraton is a international hotel, it would be an improvement for the many international guest if they would speak English!
The Clublounge is kind of dull and unattractive, besides doing business. It’s not inviting for relaxing in the evening, I could not find anything to drink or to eat. Personnel were busy with preparing the tables for the breakfast for the next day and the whole situation was not inviting to sit down for a drink. In my opinion this is not a very nice lounge, so I was happy I could use the Designlounge.

I could not use the pool again. Two years ago the poolarea was renovated. This time constructionworkers were busy and the pool was empty. After my long flight I was longing for a sunbath and going for a swim but I regret it was not possible. I could notice it would have be fun to lie down here with the beautiful décor of the Club.
The Fitnessarea is still very cramped and not inviting to have a workout, for me.

The lobby is much nicer with the SheratonLink. But the seating arrangements here are not very classy for a 5* hotel.
Behind this area is a lobbyrestaurant with a very large bar with a large flatscreen tv. I did hear the restaurant had a new management so I wanted to give it a try. Last time I did not have a positive experience.
When I had dinner here on a Sunday, the menu was very limited. I guess 3 or 4 maincourses. The waiter did not speak English, thought he first acted as if he did. That was confusing. The manager did speak some English.
I ordered the Brazilian chickensoup ( appr. 12 euro) and chicken with potatoes. No sidedishes were offered so I asked for some vegetables. Since the manager did not know the word vegetables it took some time to get it.
Before my soup arrived I was not served any breads with butter. When my soup arrived, I had to ask for this, via the manager who noticed I wanted some breads.
The soup was ok, rather tasteless, and not very special for this price.
When I waited for the maincourse I looked around. I noticed the large screen of tv with a footballmatch, the very dominant large bar with all kinds of products on the counter, just like being in a bar. Did not feel as having dinner in a 5* restaurant. I was starting to notice personnel was wearing plastic caps. Coming from the kitchen they did not bother to take it off and even served meals to the guest wearing the plastic caps! Behind the bar they were looking at the tv and still wearing the plastic caps. It really was a strange experience and it was like eating in a snackbar or sidecafe, only with huge prices for the food!
The maincourse was disappointing too. The chickenmeat was ok, but the taste could have been better. I only had 4 or 5 small potatoes, well done, and some very small sliced veggies. I paid around 25-30 euros for this meal I did not enjoy.
Since I was still hungry after the small maindish I ordered the cheesecake. I love cheesecake ( its one of my sins) and was looking forward to it. I noticed the manager took a large box out of the fridge in the bararea. A waitres with plastic cap was helping him. So I thought, this must be a special cake.. When the cheesecake was served I could not believe my eyes, it was the most tiny cheesecake I had ever seen! I asked if I could have a large cake, but they refused two times. I even made a picture of this cake, with a much large piece of icecream I did not ask for. The taste was ok, not very special.

I tried to talk with the restaurant manager concerning my experience but he did not understand me. Or, perhaps he acted if he did not understand me. So I will never come back here.
I was happy with the advice of the hotel to have dinner in the Barbacoa restaurant in the shoppingmall connected to the hotel. It was easy since it was possible to put the bill on my roomaccount.
Well, this appeared to be an excellent restaurant. Friendly service with a waiter who could speak English. The most delicious saladbar offered a wide range of high quality products. The meat tasted so wonderful and I could make a choice of two sidedishes. I liked the taste and quality of the products. And for the same price as in the lobbyrestaurant I had a high quality, tasteful and high quantity meal. And with excellent and friendly service.
Next time I will go directly to this restaurant instead of the lobbyrestaurant of the Sheraton.
I do not understand how the Sheraton hotel can have a lobbyrestautant like this within the Sheraton building.
When I talked to Lauren of the reception she almost could not believe me since she had always plenty of food when having dinner here. Mrs. Laura of the Designreception took some action considering my experience and tried to fix it. She had a talk with her manager. When I asked if the hotel offered a solution she told me that the manager of the restaurant did admit the portions of the meals on Sunday were indeed very small. But he did not want to fix the problem. He received my emailadress to contact me but I have never received an email from him.

In my sincere opinion the hotel should have its own restaurant with a higher quality of products, a menu with more choices and a more convenient warm surrounding. I did not enjoy the quality of the very expensive food, the ambiance with the dominating bar with large tv screen and personnel with plastic caps walking around and serve guests, the waiters who cannot communicate with me since they do not speak English and the very, very small portions of food. I can only tell you my experience I had on this Sunday evening, do not know how this restaurant is during other days.

Concluding:
I think the Clublounge could be more inviting in the evening instead of being busy with the breakfastarrangments for the next day and the waiters in the Designlounge should speak some English considering the many international guests in the hotel.
The classic clubrooms on the high floor should be renovated, these room are too outdated. Just like the bathroom. Though they are spacious, the bathrooms in general do not fit with the designroom. They are in general two worlds apart and this is a strange feeling when you visit the Designrooms.

My second impression of the hotel was much more positive compared with my last stay. Mainly due to the professional acting of mrs. Lauren and mrs. Laura of the reception. I think I would have had another experience without their commitment and professional acting.
It was great to stay in the beautiful Designsuite and on the Designfloors. I have enjoyed my delicious breakfasts in the lounge with friendly service.
This time I did have a Sheraton “feeling” and the hotel offers much more quality than during my last stay.

Would I come back?
Definitely, if mrs. Lauren and Laura are still working in the hotel to improve the quality of service and attitude some personnel still need to develop!
And ofcourse. when the poolarea is open again so I can relax in the pool/clubarea!

See pics: http://travel.webshots.com/album/580709999mWjdTl
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice review. I dined at Barbacoa as well and greatly enjoyed it. Many other restaurants (both quick serve and sit down) in the "food court", nice to have options.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:22 am

Nice review. I dined at Barbacoa as well and greatly enjoyed it. Many other restaurants (both quick serve and sit down) in the "food court", nice to have options.
Thanks! It was quite a difference with the Lobby restaurant of the Sheraton WTC. Did you have dinner here?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by claes059
Thanks! It was quite a difference with the Lobby restaurant of the Sheraton WTC. Did you have dinner here?
I didn't - checked out the menu, wasn't that impressed, observed service seemed spotty. Had read about the great options downstairs, was happy to check a few out.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:51 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
As ridiculous at it sounds, you need to take into account that everything at this property is outsourced; the 'restaurant', which even the management is embarrassed about, the club catering, the laundry, the car service, and Clube A.

It's amazing that a hotel owner would be so narrow-minded as to outsource all hotel services, which make the product and services quite disparate.

I was fortunate enough to stay in a design room, choosing from a few, and had a sensational stay due to a couple of excellent staff and management. On the other hand, I had to exert pressure on other staff to get what I requested.

It's 2 hotels in one, and really feels like it. many complain about the noise from Clube A, but I was hosted there each night of my stay and didn't get to bed until the club closed.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:56 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
They were just putting me on the SPG floor at check-in; I asked for a Design Room and was given one. Wasn't one of the coolest looking ones, but it was unique and on the 4th floor where the special Design floor lounge is.

Limo is pricey, but I had the same driver both ways and he was good. If you're expensing it, worth it for peace of mind vs. taking a taxi.
I looked at the normal suites to which plats may be upgraded. They are very dated. I think any of the design rooms is preferable, especially as you have access to the great lounge, with coffee machine.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
As ridiculous at it sounds, you need to take into account that everything at this property is outsourced; the 'restaurant', which even the management is embarrassed about, the club catering, the laundry, the car service, and Clube A.

It's amazing that a hotel owner would be so narrow-minded as to outsource all hotel services, which make the product and services quite disparate.

It's 2 hotels in one, and really feels like it. many complain about the noise from Clube A, but I was hosted there each night of my stay and didn't get to bed until the club closed.
I agree with you. Its hard to keep up to Sheraton standards when so much is outsourcedl I guess you describe it correctly, 2hotels in one!
It will be hard for the manager, mr. Hue, to make this hotel more attractive this way. The restaurant does have a problem and will have a negative impact on the image of this Sheraton hotel i.m.o.

Referring to the noise of the Club, personnel of the hotel told me since they are aware of the noise of the club, they try to accomodate the guests on the other side of the hotel, the frontside during the weekend. It seems the Club is only open in the weekend.
The Club does look very nice though, from what I noticed at the poolarea!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP

Just finishing my 4 night stay here. Took your advice on the car and it was fine - driver met me at the exit from customs and took me directly to the hotel. Nice enough chap, but did not speak English. The car was far from a limo, but it sufficed. Took lots of other cabs in SP and had no problems at all - just make sure you have cash as a few did not take Credit Cards.

This week the hotel has been jammed full and as a result, I received no real upgrade to speak of at check in (although I was put on the 11th floor which they said was an SPG floor - there was no signage indicating this). After 2 days on the double beds (very small), I asked if it was possible to get a King bed. They were able to move me up to the lucky 13th floor, which is a Club Level. Interestinly enough the room (other than the bed) was the same - same amenities as on 11 and same size. That being said, the room was comfortable and the TV's have been updated to Samsung flat screens.

As others have noted, the staff here is very good - willing to help you out whereever they can. The Club lounge is packed for breakfast (not a seat available this am), but very quiet at night, even with free drinks from 5-8. Beyond the drinks, they have light snacks - nuts, chips & apricots ? A little cheese and crackers would go much better with the Brazilian wine they serve (the red is quite good).

Hotel food is OK - tried the buffet at breakfast and lunch one day, but many options available in the adjacent shopping centre.

All in all a pretty good property - surprised it is the only SPG option in town ?

CC
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Canuck

The Club lounge is packed for breakfast (not a seat available this am), but very quiet at night, even with free drinks from 5-8.

All in all a pretty good property - surprised it is the only SPG option in town ?

CC
Isn't the free drinks an all-day thing or is that just the Design Lounge?

The previous Sheraton in Sao Paulo was the Sheraton Mofarrej Alameda Santos 1437 a block from Av Paulista and now the Tivoli Mofarrej. When it changed brands there were a few years when SP had no Starwood properties.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Isn't the free drinks an all-day thing or is that just the Design Lounge?

The previous Sheraton in Sao Paulo was the Sheraton Mofarrej Alameda Santos 1437 a block from Av Paulista and now the Tivoli Mofarrej. When it changed brands there were a few years when SP had no Starwood properties.
During the day you can have drinks in the Designlounge. I went once to the Clublounge in the evening. I did not see any drinks and personnel was busy with preparations for breakfast.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by claes059
During the day you can have drinks in the Designlounge. I went once to the Clublounge in the evening. I did not see any drinks and personnel was busy with preparations for breakfast.
They put the beer and soda out in a bucket with ice. The good stuff , they keep in the back. All I tried was the beer abd some Brazilian Red, but I think they have whatever you would like back in the booze vault...

Non alcoholic beverages are available throught the day (as are the nuts, chips, etc..)

CC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.