Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC Hotel, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC Hotel, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Do the design suites (or the 'standard suites') actually have two separate areas for the sitting room and the bed room, separated by a wall? Or is it just one room, perhaps slightly larger than a normal room?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:22 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by ajnaro
Do the design suites (or the 'standard suites') actually have two separate areas for the sitting room and the bed room, separated by a wall? Or is it just one room, perhaps slightly larger than a normal room?
Design rooms have the main room plus bathroom. There is a Design Suite which has a separate bedroom. I think there is only 1 of these.

Standard suites, which were unrenovated, old and ugly when I stayed 18 months ago, have a separate bedroom. I would rather have a design room than a standard suite.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
So... do I need to be prepared for an argument?

As a Plat, I booked a King Bed room. I just checked the SPG app to see if I got an upgrade for my check-in tonight. I see they have booked me with two SINGLE beds. What? Is this an error or do I have some arguing in my future?

Advice?

Gracias!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Are there kings available? Upgraded rooms available?

Ask for a Design Room when you check in, those are really sweet
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
So... do I need to be prepared for an argument?

As a Plat, I booked a King Bed room. I just checked the SPG app to see if I got an upgrade for my check-in tonight. I see they have booked me with two SINGLE beds. What? Is this an error or do I have some arguing in my future?

Advice?

Gracias!
it could be 2 single beds joined as a KING.....
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:30 pm

I got my room - it's a king size bed. Just fine. It's what I booked. However, I asked about an upgrade. The person at the front desk told me nothing was available. I checked on my phone. According to the SPG app, I could book a design suite, a design room, the presidential suite, etc - there were MANY more options. I asked him if any of these rooms were available. He told me none of them were. I said, "But the website says they are." He said, "But they're not." So I said, "So if I book this on my phone now, you won't give me the room?" He said, "That's correct. That availability is not true."

Personally, I'm not sure why he wouldn't give me the better room, but I also don't buy his story.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:55 am

I got my room - it's a king size bed. Just fine. It's what I booked. However, I asked about an upgrade. The person at the front desk told me nothing was available. I checked on my phone. According to the SPG app, I could book a design suite, a design room, the presidential suite, etc - there were MANY more options. I asked him if any of these rooms were available. He told me none of them were. I said, "But the website says they are." He said, "But they're not." So I said, "So if I book this on my phone now, you won't give me the room?" He said, "That's correct. That availability is not true."

Personally, I'm not sure why he wouldn't give me the better room, but I also don't buy his story.

Thoughts?
I had the same argument with them in May. Needed to ask for an Plat. upgrade and got told there are no rooms. After insisting on getting an obviously available club floor suite they finally agreed. However, no way into the design rooms/suites. C/I told me the hotel has an agreement with starwood to except design rooms from the upgrade panel. Hard to argue at C/I.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by red star
I had the same argument with them in May. Needed to ask for an Plat. upgrade and got told there are no rooms. After insisting on getting an obviously available club floor suite they finally agreed. However, no way into the design rooms/suites. C/I told me the hotel has an agreement with starwood to except design rooms from the upgrade panel. Hard to argue at C/I.
I just got an SPG Platinum upgrade to a design suite there, but it was using a suite night award. The check-in clerks were totally unaware of anything having to do with SPG, including the 500 point bonus, but it did show up. Let me say that despite its poor reputation, both in Brazil and internationally, on the design level the hotel is fine. I can't speak for the SPG or Club levels, as I did not see them. My room even showed signs of recent renovation, such as the new Brazilian electric plug style. The bathroom was marble, without a separate shower. The only thing a bit dingy was the carpet, but it was still acceptable. The breakfast in the downstairs restaurant was also ok, but just barely (no espresso, scrambled eggs that had been on the steamer for hours, soggy bacon, etc). For someone who wants to get to the center of São Paulo, the location is not convenient.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
i'll be staying here in August for 4 nights as a SPG Platinum member...

any more recent stays here?

how is public transit (not taxi) from the hotel to the city center?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:59 am

There is essentially NO good public transit from the hotel to the center of Sao Paulo. If you want to stay w/ a major chain close to the center of SP, go w/ the Renaissance. Otherwise, pick a boutique chain. Otherwise, get ready for long cab rides and try to avoid rush hour times.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is essentially NO good public transit from the hotel to the center of Sao Paulo. If you want to stay w/ a major chain close to the center of SP, go w/ the Renaissance. Otherwise, pick a boutique chain. Otherwise, get ready for long cab rides and try to avoid rush hour times.
Good advice. The Sheraton, Hilton, and nearby Grand Hyatt are all great if you need to work in the area- otherwise the location of the REN or non-chain hotels are far better. Long cab rides in SP traffic are not my idea of fun.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by jammanxc

how is public transit (not taxi) from the hotel to the city center?
Not disagreeing with the advice above but:

Its actually a very easy trip by rail/metro with one change at Pinheiros which will take you to both Paulista and Republica.

You have a 200m walk from the Sheraton to Berrini station, 4 stops on Linea 9 to Pinheiros and change for 2 stops on Linea 4 to Paulista or 3 stops to Republica.

See http://www.metro.sp.gov.br/
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Not disagreeing with the advice above but:

Its actually a very easy trip by rail/metro with one change at Pinheiros which will take you to both Paulista and Republica.

You have a 200m walk from the Sheraton to Berrini station, 4 stops on Linea 9 to Pinheiros and change for 2 stops on Linea 4 to Paulista or 3 stops to Republica.

See http://www.metro.sp.gov.br/
Interesting. Thanks for that info. I may give this a try when I'm back in SP in two weeks. I have no idea why, but the Renaissance is like $500/night that week. So I'm back staying at the Sheraton...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:12 pm

Interesting. Thanks for that info. I may give this a try when I'm back in SP in two weeks. I have no idea why, but the Renaissance is like $500/night that week. So I'm back staying at the Sheraton...
The inauguration of Linea 4 (the yellow line) a year or so back has really opened up transit to the hotels along the river (they just need a Boardwalk so you can enjoy the beautiful riverside scenery and aromas ).
The SP Metro website gives the travel time from Berrini to Paulista as 16 mins - much better than a cab at peak hour I'd bet
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:58 pm

Thanks guys!! Google Maps says its $6 Reais ($3 usd) from the Berrini station to Republica

People who stay at this Sheraton are DIE HARD SPG Fans like myself...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.