Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Miyako Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Hotel email: [email protected]

Breakfast in the lounge. Platinum arrival gift option: breakfast in a choice of 2 restaurants(The Chinese Restaurant "四川" or Cafe California ) or 1,000 pts.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Miyako Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
You just came from Sheraton Tokyo Bay? No wonder you're so sad.
I did, lol. 2 nights there and 13 nights here. Wish it was reversed!

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Thank you for the info.
No problem. To elaborate, navigating the train stations with a TON of luggage is annoying, though not impossible. People will probably run into your luggage by accident and you may have to use stairs or tight elevators at some point. When you get off at Meguro Station and go to the east exit, make a right onto the street and the green shuttle pulls up right behind the taxi line (on the corner by atre).
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by mymousecapades
O.M.***. I feel your pain!!!

Then again, I'm guessing from your nick you must be a Disney fan... and you got the once-in-a-lifetime chance to see snow in Tokyo Disney... I hope you were in the park when it happened...
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Coming from NRT, unless things have changed, the airport limo bus can take well over 90 and can be up to 2 hours to the Sheraton depending on your terminal at NRT.

I think the easiest / most comfortable way to do it is just to take the Narita Express to Shinagawa (just over an hour) and then take an Uber from there to the hotel (6-7 min and all of $9). The NEX is spacious and comfortable and easy, as it only stops once at Tokyo Station.

Yes, you could train from Shinagawa to Meguro and take the shuttle, but that takes longer and involves escalators and/or stairs, and crowds, which to me isn't worth saving the $9 after a long flight from the US. YMMV.

Going back, the hotel has a free shuttle in the morning (but only in the morning) to Shinagawa.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when we arrived from iAd on a direct flight, the idea of get on a bus and get dumped at the front door sounded great. we got the luggage outside. it reappeared at the train station for spg pickup to hotel. the bus seats are very small.

maybe i am not adequately .....ie or demanding. i thought the hotel was just great. the service was terrific, concierges great, rooms big and clean, maybe a bit old, but give it a break. this is not a 5*. the smoking policy is clear.

we have stayed twice for a couple weeks each time. will be back soon.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had 3 stays in the past 2 weeks. Twice was upgrade to a corner room. Once was upgraded to the room with balcony. My stays are between 1-3 nights.

I am comfortable with the room size and especially this being Tokyo where space is a premium. The balcony room is quite nice imo.

Breakfast is only in the lounge for platinum. Only ate there twice, spread seems similar and quite limited but good enough for a light meal before heading out.

The concierge in this hotel are really good. Always helpful with my various restaurant bookings via email prior to my stay.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:33 pm

I think it's important to set your expectations for this hotel accordingly. This is not the Aman or Andaz, and the price (usually sub 20k) certainly reflects that.

Instead, this is a hotel that does the basics well. Clean and spacious rooms (Plats are almost always assigned a spacious King room), quitessentially Japanese service and a surprisingly insightful and knowledgable concierge team.

The lounge is a nice and new space, with decent breakfast and happy hour spread. Not the biggest and best offering, but definitely good enough.

If you want a true 5-star experience with Starwood in Tokyo, try the new LC property. This Sheraton is a 4-star hotel at most, but a very, very good 4-star hotel.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I've just booked in for my first stay since the lounge was built.
I've stayed many many times at the property. Hoping for a refurbished room but know that I will love the bed, my room will be clean, and staff will be polite.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:25 pm

Well, my experience has been mixed. Hesitant to report until my stay is complete. The property still has time improve upon the impression I have on what is my "umpteenth" stay.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mymousecapades

No problem. To elaborate, navigating the train stations with a TON of luggage is annoying, though not impossible. People will probably run into your luggage by accident and you may have to use stairs or tight elevators at some point. When you get off at Meguro Station and go to the east exit, make a right onto the street and the green shuttle pulls up right behind the taxi line (on the corner by atre).
This post scares me! Friends and I are staying here after a week of snowboarding/skiing up in Hokkaido. My board bag is about six feet long and weighs ~50 pounds. Cant wait to fight this battle from Haneda to hotel
Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by uscjeff
This post scares me! Friends and I are staying here after a week of snowboarding/skiing up in Hokkaido. My board bag is about six feet long and weighs ~50 pounds. Cant wait to fight this battle from Haneda to hotel
Why not just take the Airport Limousine Bus with door to door service and your luggage in the compartment below? Much easier, and the other people on the train(s) will not appreciate foreigners coming through the train and stations with giant luggage like that.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why not just take the Airport Limousine Bus with door to door service and your luggage in the compartment below? Much easier, and the other people on the train(s) will not appreciate foreigners coming through the train and stations with giant luggage like that.
Better yet send your board bag via Takkyubin to your departure airport and pick it up on the way out of Japan. If not enough time in TYO to send from Hokkaido, send it to Narita from Haneda upon arrival.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by schoflyer
Well, my experience has been mixed. Hesitant to report until my stay is complete. The property still has time improve upon the impression I have on what is my "umpteenth" stay.
Well look I just want to finish up this one that I started.
When made the booking, there were only single beds showing available at the BAR price. Club Kings were available.
My ambassador called the property and the Miyako confirmed that they would upgrade to a King room which was nice but they could tell me which type of King at booking.
As I said I've stayed close to 40 times at this property bout only 10 since 2012 since they upgraded their computer systems and no longer show real stay history.

I arrived at check in, and my room was blocked and set aside in the Platinum pile. They said there were no suites available but they gave me a corner king on the 7th floor. I confirmed that as a Platinum I had lounge access and they gave me a couple of VIP cards.

I was in a total hurry to get out to dinner so I raced up to my room and I was pretty disappointed. This had to be the worst room I'd had in all of my stays. It was a "Deluxe King". I was running late! When I stuck my head into the bathroom and noticed the mildew blackened grout, I decided I needed to call down and do something different.

I explained that I wanted a renovated room and they responded that my room had been renovated 7 years ago. I said I wanted a room that was renovated last year! They asked be to wait, I said I was late, they suggested I do the change after dinner and I said no, I want to resolve this now. They said they would send someone to my room.

About 10 min later, a bell boy appeared with keys to my room and a "Cart" for my carryon bag. I just bolted past him rolling my own gear and asked where re we going. He said 2nd floor.

Of course they moved me to a wonderful Club King room and the problem was solved.

I threw my bags in the room and raced out to dinner, but not without stopping at the from desk an requesting to speak with the Duty Manager.

I reviewed everything with him explaining both my history with SPG and with this property in particular. I said that my room issue was resolved however the problem I had was that they wasted 30 minutes of my time because of their failure to do their job properly. I should have never been assigned to the stinker room which I now refer to as the "Worst King Available" not to mention the fact that when I was standing at the front desk checking in, I should have been extended an upgrade to the Club Room which by then of course I remembered was plainly available for sale on SPG.com as I was checking rates on my way to the property.

The manage clarified "So you want a smooth check in next time?" I said, "No, I don't want the hotel to waste my time because they didn't do their job properly."

So it's pretty clear that you should pull up the club room availability on your way to the property if you want the best room available. Mine was a beautiful view of the garden! 1st time ever with that view. You won't get if you don't ask perhaps.

My second issue that evening was upon my return to the property my keys didn't work. I was reissued keys without any request for ID which was a bit worrisome from a security standpoint. They did "scan" my passport at check in an perhaps the staff reviewed that on his screen but I'm not sure.

The breakfast in the lounge was quite a nice spread for a lounge offering. I was satisfied. Similar to the days of it being offered in the Chinese Restaurant in variety. Drinks, yoghurt, cereal, breads, hot dishes, meats, eggs, etc.

Light snacks and beverages available throughout the day and alcohol in the evening.

I just wish that management took the initiative of following up with me during my stay on the service issue. Not a peep.

Cheers,

Scho

Last edited by schoflyer; Jan 2, 2017 at 12:00 am
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I checked the bus schedule for an outbound trip to HND from the Miyako. It appears the HND bus runs far less often than the basically hourly bus to NRT. I always Taxi to/from HND from this property. About 5000 yen. I also tell them not to take the highway but rather the frontage road which saves the cost of the toll and perhaps a little bit of time as well. It's Route 357 if your are interested and it heads through Shinagawa and Tennozu.

Tell them SHE-TAH ME-CHEE O SUE KAH TAY KOO DA SAI. SAN GO NANA BAHN

Last edited by schoflyer; Jan 2, 2017 at 12:13 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by schoflyer
I've just booked in for my first stay since the lounge was built.
I've stayed many many times at the property. Hoping for a refurbished room but know that I will love the bed, my room will be clean, and staff will be polite.
Did they not finish refurbishing the hotel? I was just there 2 weeks ago and the images I saw online for basic rooms were nothing near what I got. They couldn't give me early morning check in since the previous night was fully booked. When I got my room it felt like any other typical sheraton from the 80s. Ugly brown tubs, loud water pipes, and dirty carpet that's older than me.

Only positive end was great service at the lounge and concierge. Front desk along with the team that handles pre arrivals offered little to no support. If it weren't for FT, I wouldn't have known how to make it to the hotel properly.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
It looks like my wife and I may be spending 6-7 weeks in Tokyo this summer. Although a serviced apartment might make sense I won't find it easy to earn points or miles that way. So, how good/bad would it be to stay at this property for some/most of that time? My office is in Shibuya but I like riding the trains. My wife is mostly interested in relaxing with a book and swimming. A property with a lounge would be better of course but the Westin is too far above what a serviced apartment would cost. Any comments are appreciated.
I'm a fan of their olympic swimming pool. it's not really a "Lounge" pool though, its mainly for exercise.

You can get to shibuya by going to meguro station. It's sort of a long walk, like 15 minutes. but there's a shuttle that leaves every 30 minutes during business hours. I don't mind the walk if i miss the shuttle, but at the same time i'm not "commuting" to work and dont have a tight schedule when i'm there.

I will be living in japan for 9 months later this year and am tempted to stay at a sheraton the entire time, but i might go the more frugal route and stay at an apartment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.